World Cup Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Day 1

Hey guys, long time member here even though I don't post much. I am going to make an effort to post daily during the World Cup to hopefully help some of you with some insights. I've played soccer continuously for the past 28 years, including at the Division 1 level, a brief stint in Portugal and now playing semi-pro in Central PA. In any event, I know the game and follow the teams (most of them that is, Iran, Algeria sorry). Soccer is tough to cap and unpredictable and of course sometimes fixed. Anyway, hope this is helpful and good luck if you follow.

Day 1:

**Croatia +1.5 goals(-105)

The only reason that I'm not taking a long shot play on Croatia to win this game is that the host country has never lost the opening game. I don't see that changing here, but the ml +1339 is tempting. Anyway, I expect this to be an entertaining opening match. Croatia won't be intimidated and boast a few world class players. Real Madrid play maker Luca Modric and big man up front Mario Manduzkic are good enough to score on the best in the world and will surely give Brazil fits. I think this will be a back and forth game and as long as Croatia doesn't concede a goal early, they should keep it within 1 and I like them to hit the score board themselves. The issue here is that Croatia is going to have to adapt to the heat right out of the gate, something that I think will do them in at the end. Don't be surprised to see Croatia possess the ball and create chances, although I think they'll sit and play counterattack today. I have been intrigued by this game since these teams were drawn against each other and I also think a draw is not out of the question, but ultimately I see Brazil getting a late winner and taking this game 2-1, 3-2. Brazil will inevitably start out nervous and with immense pressure on them as the game starts, but once the ball is rolling, they'll block out those distractions and get down to biz. Croatia should advance from this group as the second place team behind Brazil and definitely has the talent to make some noise in Brazil.

Also, just found out that Mario Mandzukic is suspended for this game. It doesn't change my play, just means that Croatia will have a tougher time scoring, but I still think this is a one goal win for the host nation. Good luck everyone.

Comment

I was just gonna say Mario is out for this game and then I saw post 2

Comment

Good luck Jaun!

Comment

What a fuck job! Stupid fucking Croats

Nice call, we should have had this one.

Comment

Sorry guys...I am still stunned this didn't cash. This is the risk with soccer, the ref absolutely turned this game. Three distinct calls: 1. No way was that a penalty kick 2. Croatia's goal that was disallowed after a foul on the Brazilian keeper was awful and on the goal #3 how on earth do you not call that foul after giving a phantom penalty!!!! Anyway such is the game of soccer. Hopefully we can bounce back today. And on a final note, in my honest opinion I thought Croatia outplayed the hell out of Brazil with the exception of their goalie who somehow got cement stuck in his shoes.

Comment

Working...
            X