No announcement yet.

The Bum's Aug. MLB Best Bets + Pod's !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview: Phillies (62-73) at Cubs (56-78)
    Game: 2
    Venue: Wrigley Field
    Date: August 31, 2013 4:05 PM EDT

After a successful return to Chicago for manager Ryne Sandberg, the Philadelphia Phillies would appear to be in good position to continue their recent road success over the Cubs.

Especially with Cliff Lee on the mound.

Looking to remain undefeated against the Cubs, Lee tries to help the Phillies to a sixth consecutive victory at Wrigley Field on Saturday.

In the first appearance on Chicago's North Side in his new role, Sandberg watched as Philadelphia (62-73) fell behind 5-0 on Friday before tying the game in the seventh inning and taking the lead on Michael Young's bloop RBI single in the ninth.

"It's a good one to get," said the Hall of Fame second baseman, who spent all but one of his 16 seasons playing for the Cubs. "The guys battled back. Good energy after that. Anytime you rally to come back like that it goes well with the guys."

He admitted the day was special.

"A little different view from this angle here looking out but other than that, this was a place that was very comfortable for me as a player," he said.

The Phillies, 9-6 since Sandberg replaced the fired Charlie Manuel on Aug. 16, have scored at least six runs in the last four of a five-game winning streak at Wrigley Field.

Chicago (56-78), which left nine runners on base, has lost four straight and 17 of 20 at home.

"We can't get a big hit to seal the deal," manager Dale Sveum said. "To add on runs is what you preach. We just couldn't add on."

Bouncing back likely won't be easy against Lee (11-6, 3.07 ERA), who is 4-0 with a 1.77 ERA in six starts versus Chicago. He last faced the Cubs in July 2011.

Lee went 0-4 with a 4.62 ERA in six starts before he allowed a run in eight innings of a 2-1 victory over the New York Mets on Monday.

"It was just a game I felt like I was grinding and getting results," the left-hander told the Phillies' official website. "I'd like to have more games like that."

With four hits Friday, Young is 11 for 24 with three doubles in six games following a 2-for-24 stretch. He's 7 for 12 with three RBIs against the Cubs this season.

While Young looks to stay hot, teammate Domonic Brown is day to day after leaving the opener of this three-game set with a sore right Achilles. Brown leads Philadelphia with 27 home runs and 80 RBIs.

Ex-Phillie Nate Schierholtz hit his 20th home run Friday and is 5 for 13 with two homers against his former team this season. Schierholtz is 3 for his last 27 overall and 0 for 4 against Lee.

Facing Philadelphia for the first time, Chris Rusin (2-3, 2.64) is 0-2 in his last three starts while posting a 2.00 ERA and receiving one run during his time on the mound. He gave up three hits in 6 1-3 scoreless innings of a 3-2, 15-inning loss at San Diego on Sunday.

The left-hander is 0-3 with a 4.32 ERA at Wrigley.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
    Phillies at Cubs
    Fri, Aug 30 Final 6 to 5
    Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
    Phillies at Cubs
    Sat, Aug 31 - 4:05PM EDT

GAME 3
    Phillies at Cubs
    Sun, Sep 1 - 2:20PM EDT
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

• Preview: Indians (71-63) at Tigers (79-56)
      Venue: Comerica Park
      Date: August 31, 2013 7:08 PM EDT

Though a nagging injury continues to plague star Miguel Cabrera, Anibal Sanchez's recent success versus Cleveland could provide the AL Central-leading Detroit Tigers with a good chance to pull further away from the second-place Indians.

With or without Cabrera, Sanchez and the Tigers look for a seventh consecutive victory over an Indians team hoping to snap a four-game slide Saturday night at Comerica Park.

Victor Martinez went 2 for 3 with two RBIs and Detroit (79-56) used a four-run third to build a 7 1/2-game lead over Cleveland with Friday's 7-2 victory that was stopped after seven innings because of rain.

The immediate concern, though, was Cabrera, who was pulled for a second straight game because of irritation in his abdominal area.

"I don't feel very good,' said Cabrera, who leads the majors with 130 RBIs, a .358 average and is second with 43 homers. "I don't want to be specific. I don't feel 100 percent.'

Manager Jim Leyland is not sure about Cabrera's status for Saturday.

"All I can tell you is when you pull a guy out one night, normally he doesn't start the next day," he said. "I don't have any idea. I don't really know. I just have to play it by ear, see what happens.'

Even if Cabrera can't go, Cleveland has plenty of concerns in this matchup. The Tigers have won 13 of 14 against the Indians (71-63), outscoring them 91-46.

"We're all aware of what our record is,' said Cleveland manager Terry Francona. "We don't go into any game not thinking we're going to win. The reason they're beating us is they're good.'

Martinez has been great lately, going 15 for 24 with five RBIs and no strikeouts in six games. He's hit .457 with 11 RBIs in his last 12 against the Indians.

Owner of the AL's lowest ERA, Sanchez (11-7, 2.61 ERA) is 3-0 with a 1.72 ERA in his last five versus Cleveland. He's 1-0 with a 2.13 ERA this season in two road starts versus Cleveland.

Though the right-hander has a 2.05 ERA in eight starts since the All-Star break, he hopes for a better effort after allowing four runs and walking three in five innings of an 8-6 loss to Oakland on Monday.

"He was just totally out of sync for whatever reason," Leyland told the Tigers' official website. "Certainly you're allowed to have those. He's been absolutely fantastic. That's one of those games where it just wasn't his day."

Nick Swisher had two hits for the Indians, who have totaled 12 runs during a four-game losing streak at Comerica Park.

All-Star Jason Kipnis is batting .158 in his last 10 games, and is 0 for 5 with two strikeouts versus Sanchez this season.

After giving up 10 runs in eight innings to lose two straight starts, Scott Kazmir (7-6, 4.25) yielded a run and struck out eight in six innings in Cleveland's 3-1 win at Minnesota on Sunday.

"I felt fresh out there," Kazmir told the Indians' official website. "I felt like I was able to kick it up a little bit and just throw quality pitches. That was my main goal."

The left-hander allowed two runs in 5 2-3 innings of a 4-2, 10-inning loss to Detroit on July 8.

Martinez is 9 for 18 with a homer and three doubles lifetime against Kazmir.

----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
      Indians at Tigers
      Fri, Aug 30 Final 2 to 7
      Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
      Indians at Tigers
      Sat, Aug 31 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 3
      Indians at Tigers
      Sun, Sep 1 - 1:08PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Mets (61-72) at Nationals (68-66)
        Venue: Nationals Park
        Date: August 31, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

The Washington Nationals have been soaring offensively in a bid to stay in the playoff chase, though they came up empty in the series opener.

It's not likely to get any easier against one of the league's top rookie hurlers.

The Nationals will try to bounce back at the plate and win for the ninth time in 11 games Saturday night when they host Zack Wheeler and the New York Mets.

Washington had averaged 6.3 runs and hit .318 while winning eight of nine before being limited to a pair of solo home runs and four other hits in Friday's 3-2 loss to the Mets (61-72).

Although Ryan Zimmerman went 2 for 4 to raise his average to .381 over his last 10 games, Bryce Harper went 0 for 4 to end his career-best 11-game hitting streak. In his final at-bat, Harper failed to run hard on a groundout with men on first and second in the eighth inning.

"I don't think he does it intentionally, but he's going to have to start picking it up a little bit because we've got everybody else doing it,' said bench coach Randy Knorr, who filled in after manager Davey Johnson left due to illness. "It's something that we've got to fix."

The Nationals (68-66) remain 6 1/2 games back of Cincinnati for the second wild-card spot following the Reds' loss in Colorado.

They'll attempt to get the bats going and chip away at that deficit against Wheeler (6-3, 3.42 ERA), who is 3-0 with a 1.72 ERA in his last five road starts - all New York victories.

Wheeler has also been tough in his last four outings overall, going 2-1 with a 2.45 ERA with 28 strikeouts over 25 2-3 innings.

Following the loss of All-Star starter Matt Harvey to a torn elbow ligament, the Mets are likely to have their rookie right-hander on a pitch count after limiting him to 105 in his last start.

"I understand but I really want to be out there,' Wheeler said. "It's definitely going to be a while before any of us get back up there in pitch count. It's not their fault, but it's just human when your best pitcher goes down.'

The Nationals have been one of the few opponents who have been able to get to Wheeler, tagging him for a season-worst five runs and six hits over 4 2-3 innings in a 13-2 win on June 30.

Adam LaRoche and Jayson Werth both homered off Wheeler, while Denard Span went 2 for 3 with a double.

Washington counters with right-hander Dan Haren (8-11, 4.66), who will try to stop the Mets from winning their fourth in five games following a five-game skid.

Haren has a chance to win his fifth straight decision, though he surrendered a four-run first inning before settling down and leaving after the seventh without a decision in Sunday's 6-4 loss at Kansas City. He had gone 4-0 with a 1.36 ERA in his previous five starts.

Though Haren was tagged for five runs over four frames in a 10-1 loss to the Mets on June 5, he struck out six while yielding one run and three hits over seven innings in a 4-1 victory July 27.

Daniel Murphy went 2 for 4 in the first meeting with Haren and is 7 for 11 with three doubles over his last three games overall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
        Mets at Nationals
        Fri, Aug 30 Final 3 to 2
        Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
        Mets at Nationals
        Sat, Aug 31 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
        Mets at Nationals
        Sun, Sep 1 - 8:05PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Cardinals (78-56) at Pirates (78-56)
          Venue: PNC Park
          Date: August 31, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

There are some legitimate questions about the final three slots in the Pittsburgh Pirates' rotation as September nears, but there's little doubt about the effectiveness of Clint Hurdle's top two starters.

A night after Francisco Liriano gave the Pirates a share of the NL Central's top spot, A.J. Burnett looks to continue his home dominance of the St. Louis Cardinals and lift his club to the outright lead Saturday night.

Charlie Morton's rotation spot was in jeopardy as recently as Aug. 1, Gerrit Cole is being given extra rest as his innings mount and Jeff Locke has pitched so poorly after his All-Star first half that he's been sent to Double-A while his next start is skipped.

But there's no uncertainty at the top of the Pirates' rotation. Liriano allowed two hits over eight innings Friday in beating the Cardinals (78-56) for the third time in the past 33 days as Pittsburgh (78-56) pulled even atop the NL Central with a 5-0 win.

Garrett Jones broke out of a 1-for-29 slump by going 3 for 4 with a homer and four RBIs.

"Big game, big series," Jones said. "I made some adjustments and took it into the game and I felt good. I felt aggressive and strong and it was nice to be able to contribute to the win."

Burnett (6-9, 3.18 ERA) takes the ball next, and though he can't match Liriano's 1.21 ERA at PNC Park, he hasn't been far behind. The right-hander has posted a 2.01 ERA in his last nine home starts, a stretch in which he's held the Cardinals to one run and four hits over 14 innings while striking out 17.

Burnett is 2-1 with a 1.35 ERA in four home outings against St. Louis since joining the Pirates.

Hurdle certainly seems to like the 1-2 punch at the top of his rotation.

"I just like the way we're going about our business, throwing our best two guys back to back," Hurdle told the team's official website. "... When they are on their game, they can be a force."

This will be Burnett's first home appearance since Aug. 4 after going 1-2 with a 5.55 ERA in his four straight road starts, including a 6-5, 12-inning loss at Busch Stadium on Aug. 15. He pitched four clean innings and was staked to a 4-0 lead before being charged with five runs and failing to survive the fifth.

His mound opponent Saturday will be the same as it was earlier this month. Lance Lynn (13-8, 4.02) gave up four fifth-inning runs that day and wound up lasting 5 1-3, the beginning of a rocky three-start stretch in which the right-hander has posted a 5.89 ERA.

Three of the four runs Lynn allowed over his seven innings in Sunday's 5-2 loss to Atlanta came in the first two innings.

"Hopefully for me, this was a building (block) going down the stretch," Lynn said. "I've got some starts coming up where I've got to be really good.

"And I plan on being really good."

Lynn hasn't been good often on the road, going 2-4 with a 6.06 ERA over his last eight starts outside of St. Louis. He's 2-0 with a 3.00 ERA in three starts at PNC Park, however.

Lynn has certainly had the number of two of the Pirates' best hitters. Andrew McCutchen is 4 for 23 with eight strikeouts versus Lynn, while Neil Walker is 3 for 17.

Allen Craig and David Freese are each 1 for 9 against Burnett, but Matt Carpenter is 8 for 18 with three extra-base hits.

Carpenter, who along with McCutchen is tied for the major league lead with 51 multi-hit games, is 5 for 42 (.119) in his career in Pittsburgh.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
          Cardinals at Pirates
          Fri, Aug 30 Final 0 to 5
          Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
          Cardinals at Pirates
          Sat, Aug 31 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
          Cardinals at Pirates
          Sun, Sep 1 - 1:35PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: White Sox (56-77) at Red Sox (80-56)
            Venue: Fenway Park
            Date: August 31, 2013 7:10 PM EDT

Jake Peavy has nothing but good things to say about his time with the Chicago White Sox, but he couldn't be happier about pitching in a pennant race with the Boston Red Sox.

Facing his former team for the first time since being dealt to Boston last month, Peavy looks to win a second straight start Saturday night.

Acquired by Chicago (56-77) from San Diego during the 2009 season, Peavy (10-5, 3.99 ERA) went 36-29 with a 4.00 ERA in 84 games with 83 starts. With the team out of contention and Peavy's hefty contract in tow, Chicago shipped the right-hander to the AL East-leading Red Sox as part of a three-team trade July 30.

Following the deal, Peavy tweeted a message to White Sox fans.

"THANK YOU Chicago! It's been an honor & a privilege to pitch for u! You are 1st class & I will never forget you! So many emotions right now!'

Though Peavy still roots for a Chicago team that won 10 of 12 prior to Friday's 4-3 loss at Fenway, he'll be all business Saturday.

"It is what it is," Peavy told the White Sox's official website. "I'm happy to see those guys when they're not playing us, playing well, and the way we all knew they were capable of playing."

Peavy, 2-1 with a 3.31 ERA in five starts for Boston (80-56), has allowed four runs over 20 2-3 innings while going 1-1 in the last three. He's coming off his best outing of the season Sunday when he yielded a homer and two other hits during a complete-game 8-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"It's satisfying anytime you win, however you can get that done," Peavy told the Red Sox's official website.

Winners in five of six overall, the Red Sox have won 10 of 14 against the White Sox.

Back from his suspension for intentionally beaning New York's Alex Rodriguez, Boston's Ryan Dempster pitched into the seventh and David Ortiz snapped an 0-for-23 slump with a two-run single Friday.

"I told you guys last night, don't worry about me,' said Ortiz, who is 10 for 24 (.417) with eight RBIs in his last eight games against the White Sox. "Start worrying about me when I go up to the plate with no bat.'

Teammate Shane Victorino is 10 for 19 with 11 RBIs in five games overall and batting .438 in his last 12.

Acquired by Chicago from Detroit as part of the Peavy deal, talented rookie outfielder Avisail Garcia went 2 for 4 and homered for the second straight game. In 20 games with the White Sox, Garcia is batting .360 with those two home runs and 10 RBIs. He's 9 for 17 with five RBIs in the last four.

Chicago starter John Danks (4-10, 4.15 ERA) went 0-5 with a 4.70 ERA during an eight-start stretch before conceding only a two-run homer in 14 innings to win his last two. The left-hander yielded that blast in six innings of a 5-2 win over Texas on Sunday.

Though Danks has not pitched at Boston since 2010, he's posted a 2.08 ERA while winning his last two starts there.

------------------------------------------------------------

GAME 1
            White Sox at Red Sox
            Fri, Aug 30 Final 3 to 4
            Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
            White Sox at Red Sox
            Sat, Aug 31 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
            White Sox at Red Sox
            Sun, Sep 1 - 1:35PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Angels (61-72) at Brewers (59-75)
              Venue: Miller Park

The Los Angeles Angels kept their scoreless innings streak going Friday night, and Jerome Williams is hoping he can add to it while building up his own little modest stretch.

Williams sets out to end a winless spell of nearly three months Saturday night when the Angels continue their series with the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park.

Angels pitchers have put up 22 consecutive zeroes after Jered Weaver and two relievers combined on a six-hitter in Friday's 5-0 victory. Los Angeles (61-72), currently 6-1 on this nine-game road swing, has a 1.60 staff ERA on this trip and is trying to post three straight shutouts for the first time since Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 1974.

"Weaver wasn't quite as crisp, but that just shows how creative he can get, just changing speeds and moving the ball around to get through six innings,' Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.

While Williams (5-10, 4.69 ERA) seems an unlikely candidate to do it all himself, he is coming off a crisp long relief outing Wednesday. The right-hander yielded only one hit in three innings - needing only 33 pitches - in a 4-1 loss at Tampa Bay.

He is winless in 12 starts since defeating Baltimore on June 12, going 0-8 with a 6.79 ERA in that span. Williams - making his first start since Aug. 21 - has split four lifetime starts against the Brewers, whom he has not faced since 2005.

Rookie second baseman Grant Green provided the big hit Friday with a three-run double to highlight a four-run seventh and is 8 for 25 in six games on this trip. Since being recalled Aug. 6 following his acquisition from Oakland, he's hitting .310 overall in 21 games but .370 (17 for 46) in 14 on the road.

Milwaukee (59-75) has been shut out six times this year, but three have come in August. The Brewers stranded 13 runners and went 2 for 13 with runners in scoring position Friday.

Marco Estrada (6-4, 4.44) is out to win consecutive starts for the first time this year after his best outing of the season. The right-hander struck out a season-high nine over seven scoreless innings Sunday, relying on effective off-speed pitches to limit the Reds to one hit and two walks in a 3-1 road victory.

"He had great command of his changeup,' manager Ron Roenicke said. "He was throwing his curveball for strikes down in the zone and spotted his fastball well. When he's got his changeup going and his curve going, they have to think about it and he can get his fastball by them.'

Estrada has pitched well since coming off the disabled list earlier this month following a hamstring injury, going 2-0 with a 1.88 ERA in four starts, yielding five runs - four of which have scored on three home runs - in 24 innings. Three of those outings came on the road, though, where Estrada has a 2.53 ERA in nine starts - nearly five runs lower than his 7.43 at Miller Park.

This will be his first appearance versus the Angels.

Estrada may avoid facing Josh Hamilton, who missed Friday's game with a sore left shoulder. Scioscia is hoping to have him back for this game, telling the team's official website, "It's getting better than it was a couple of days ago, but it's still bothering him a little bit."

Hamilton is 14 for 36 (.389) with four homers, three doubles and a triple in 10 lifetime games versus the Brewers.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
              Angels at Brewers
              Fri, Aug 30 Final 5 to 0
              Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
              Angels at Brewers

GAME 3
              Angels at Brewers
              Sun, Sep 1 - 2:10PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Marlins (49-84) at Braves (82-52)
                Venue: Turner Field

Outstanding pitching is a big reason why the Atlanta Braves have had little trouble with the Miami Marlins of late.

Mike Minor looks to keep that trend going as he attempts to win a fifth straight decision for the second time this season Saturday night.

Atlanta (81-52) has won 13 of the last 17 meetings with Miami behind a 1.83 ERA - 2.06 from the rotation.

The Braves continued that dominance Friday, opening this three-game set with a 2-1 win as Julio Teheran outpitched fellow star rookie Jose Fernandez.

Atlanta now turns to Minor (13-5, 2.99 ERA), the team leader in wins and owner of the lowest ERA among the club's starters. The left-hander, though, is 3-3 with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts against Miami.

Minor beat the Marlins (49-84) for the first time in five tries at home Aug. 11, allowing four runs in seven innings of a 9-4 victory. He had been 0-2 with a 4.95 ERA in his first four matchups there.

His latest meeting with Miami is part of a six-start stretch during which he's gone 4-0 with a 3.03 ERA. He last won five decisions in a row May 8-June 9.

Minor kept his current run going by yielding one run in seven innings of a 5-2 win at St. Louis on Sunday, helping the Braves end a three-game slide.

"He's developing into a big-time deal," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The (Adam) Wainwrights of the world, the (Clayton) Kershaws of the world, they stop losing streaks and extend winning streaks."

Minor is looking to extend the Braves' winning streak to six, and production from Freddie Freeman would surely help.

The All-Star first baseman hit a two-run homer and doubled Friday after being held out of the lineup for one game due to a nagging knee injury.

Freeman is a career .376 hitter against the Marlins at home and is batting .462 with 14 RBIs and 13 runs over the past 14 matchups there. He's homered in each of the last two meetings at Turner Field, driving in five runs.

Miami lost for the ninth time in 10 games Friday, hitting .185 and scoring 18 runs over that stretch.

The Marlins' offensive woes are partly why Jacob Turner (3-5, 3.12) is trying to avoid becoming the first pitcher to go winless in his first 13 road starts since Houston's Jordan Lyles went 17 from May 31, 2011-Aug. 1, 2012.

Turner is 0-7 with a 3.57 ERA in 12 road games but has been backed by six total runs in eight starts this year.

Run support has been the least of Turner's worries in two career outings at Turner Field, losing both while surrendering nine runs in 11 innings. He dropped the most recent Aug. 9, when he allowed five runs and three homers with three walks in five innings of a 5-0 defeat.

Turner hasn't won at any venue since beating the Braves on July 10, allowing two runs in seven innings of the 6-2 victory. He's 0-4 with a 4.09 ERA in eight starts since, getting charged with a 4-3 loss at home to Colorado on Sunday.

Turner was reached for four runs in 5 2-3 innings as he failed to complete six innings for a fourth straight start.

He's allowed Freeman to go 3 for 8 (.375) with a double off him.

Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano went 0 for 4 on Friday after hitting .438 with three homers and eight RBIs over his previous 10 games. He's 5 for 14 (.357) with a homer and two doubles off Minor.

Giancarlo Stanton has homered on both of his hits in 14 at_bats against Minor.

--------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                Marlins at Braves
                Fri, Aug 30 Final 1 to 2
                Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                Marlins at Braves

GAME 3
                Marlins at Braves
                Sun, Sep 1 - 5:05PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Mariners (61-73) at Astros (44-90)
                  Game: 3
                  Venue: Minute Maid Park

The Seattle Mariners are finding some success on the road, and perhaps some hope for the future.

The Mariners look to continue taking advantage of the Houston Astros on Saturday night in order to get their longest road winning streak in over two years.

Seattle (61-73) is headed for a fourth straight losing season, but it has shown some promise for the future while winning nine of 13 on the road.

The Mariners have won four games in a row behind a 2.25 ERA, and got the best performance on the mound of that stretch in Friday's 7-1 win at Houston.

Taijuan Walker, the club's top prospect, allowed one run and two hits in five innings of his major league debut.

Seattle is now in position to put together its longest run on the road since reeling off six straight wins from April 17-30, 2011.

Another matchup with the Astros, losers of 20 of 25 at Minute Maid Park, could be just what the Mariners need. They've won five in a row at Houston, allowing three runs and nine hits in winning the first two of this four-game set.

Seattle, though, is expected to give the ball to Joe Saunders (10-13, 5.09), who's 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA over his last four starts.

The veteran left-hander started poorly on Monday when he hit the leadoff batter en route to a two-run first inning. He was pulled after giving up five more runs over the next six in an 8-3 loss to Texas.

"It was one of those weird nights where I thought I pitched better than the results," Saunders said. "I've just been having some bad luck."

Saunders has split two starts at Houston, giving up 11 runs in 10 1-3 innings. However, he was credited with a 10-7 win in the most recent outing July 19, allowing three runs in 5 1-3 innings.

The Astros (44-90), owners of the worst record in baseball, have batted .189 and scored seven runs while losing four straight.

Juan Castro went 0 for 4 with three strikeouts Friday, but still has a .433 average in 10 games. Eight of his 13 hits in that stretch have gone for extra bases, including three homers.

The catcher is 3 for 6 with a double versus Saunders.

The Astros will turn to Dallas Keuchel (5-7, 4.82), who is 0-1 with a 4.12 ERA in three starts since returning to the rotation.

The left-hander turned in his best performance of the season Sunday, yielding four hits in seven innings before the bullpen allowed two runs in the ninth of a 2-1 loss to Toronto.

The offense let Keuchel down in his only career start versus the Mariners on June 10. He allowed two runs - one earned - in six innings while the lineup gave him one run of support in a 3-2 loss at Seattle.

--------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                  Mariners at Astros
                  Thu, Aug 29 Final 3 to 2
                  Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                  Mariners at Astros
                  Fri, Aug 30 Final 7 to 1
                  Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
                  Mariners at Astros

GAME 4
                  Mariners at Astros
                  Sun, Sep 1 - 2:10PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Twins (58-75) at Rangers (78-56)
                    Venue: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
                    Date: August 31, 2013 8:05 PM EDT

The Texas Rangers have been doing just fine despite Matt Garza's struggles and Nelson Cruz's suspension.

They could use a few good starts from the former, however, to set up a potential return for the latter in the postseason.

Texas will seek to ride Garza to its 23rd win in 30 games Saturday night against the Minnesota Twins.

The Rangers (78-56) have generally looked fine without Cruz, who is second on the team with 27 home runs and 76 RBIs. They've averaged 6.2 runs in going 16-6 since Cruz was suspended for 50 games due to his connection to the Biogenesis scandal.

He is eligible to come back for the postseason, and Texas could have used him Friday as the Twins (58-75) shut the Rangers out over the final five innings to pick up a come-from-behind 3-2 victory.

The Rangers have been held to 13 runs in their last nine losses and have won 20 straight when they score at least four runs.

Even on a night when their offense wasn't in sync, the Rangers received good news, as Cruz will look to stay sharp in the Arizona Instructional League.

"The key to him is just seeing live pitching," manager Ron Washington said. "If we end up getting in the playoffs, we're not looking for him to come and carry us. Just be a part of that lineup. He'll hurt somebody."

As a result of their usually good offense, the Rangers have won five of Garza's first seven starts since being acquired from the Chicago Cubs, and he's 3-2 over that stretch despite a 4.44 ERA.

The right-hander allowed three earned runs in his first 14 1-3 innings with Texas. Since then, Garza has allowed at least four runs in five straight starts.

"He's a tremendous pitcher," Washington said. "He'll get comfortable and start winning us some ballgames."

His struggles carried into Sunday, when he allowed five runs in seven innings of a 5-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox.

"I just felt a little out of sync, like I was trying to do too much," Garza said. "You get ahead of yourself and sometimes you've just got to take a step back to put the whole thing in."

Garza, who allowed 10 home runs over his first 14 starts, has allowed six over his last four.

Minnesota's Mike Pelfrey (5-10, 5.06) has pitched better since returning from a stint on the disabled list with a back strain. In 10 starts since being activated July 4, the right-hander has a 3.72 ERA.

He has only two wins to show for it, however, as the Twins have provided him with 24 runs during that stretch.

Pelfrey has made it through seven innings once this season. He needed 94 pitches to get through five Sunday, due in no small part to a career-high six walks.

"Way too many walks. It's pretty embarrassing, to go out there and walk six guys," said Pelfrey, who did not earn a decision in a 3-1 loss at Cleveland. "I thought it was a wasted day. Obviously I had good movement and I had good stuff. The velocity was there. I just couldn't throw it over the plate."

Pelfrey has faced Texas once in his career, yielding four runs in six innings of an 8-1 loss while with the New York Mets in 2011.

Garza held the Twins to three runs in seven innings of a 3-2 loss in 2009 while pitching for Tampa Bay.

The Twins snapped a five-game losing streak Friday, and they've scored nine times in their past six contests.

---------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                    Twins at Rangers
                    Fri, Aug 30 Final 3 to 2
                    Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                    Twins at Rangers
                    Sat, Aug 31 - 8:05PM EDT

GAME 3
                    Twins at Rangers
                    Sun, Sep 1 - 3:05PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Reds (75-60) at Rockies (64-72)
                      Venue: Coors Field
                      Date: August 31, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

After dropping a series to the team directly ahead of them in both the NL Central and wild-card races, the Cincinnati Reds must find a way to end their recent struggles against the Colorado Rockies.

The visiting Reds look to avoid a fourth straight loss to the Rockies on Saturday night.

Despite outscoring St. Louis 17-14 this week, Cincinnati (75-60) dropped two of three at Busch Stadium. The Reds avoided the sweep with a 10-0 win, but Bronson Arroyo allowed five runs in the fourth inning of Friday's 9-6 loss at Coors Field.

Though Cincinnati owns the second wild-card spot, it's 3 1/2 games behind Central co-leaders Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

The Reds have allowed 26 runs while dropping three straight to Colorado (64-72), which pounded out 19 hits to win for the ninth time in 11 home contests. The Rockies recorded a season-high 20 hits during a 12-4 win at Cincinnati on June 5.

Todd Helton homered twice and had six RBIs Friday, while catcher Wilin Rosario added four hits as the Rockies knocked Arroyo out in the fourth inning.

Helton's 28th career multihomer game leaves him one hit shy of 2,500. Helton is 11 for 30 with four homers and 12 RBIs in his last eight games against the Reds.

"He's a very special player and it's a blessing to play with guys like that,' winning pitcher Jorge De La Rosa said.

Cincinnati hopes ex-Rockie Greg Reynolds will provide a boost in his return to Denver.

Making his second straight start in place of the injured Tony Cingrani, Reynolds (0-2, 5.73 ERA) was recalled from Triple-A Louisville and allowed a two-run homer and four other hits in six innings of a 3-1 loss to Milwaukee on Sunday in his second start of 2013.

"I was able to slow it down and make a pitch when I had to," Reynolds told the Reds' official website. "I got myself behind in the counts. I'd definitely like to do a better job at executing early."

The No. 2 overall pick by Colorado in 2006, Reynolds pitched two seasons for the Rockies in 2008 and 2011, going 5-8 with a 7.47 ERA in 27 games and 16 starts.

Brandon Phillips and Ryan Hanigan each had two hits with two RBIs for Cincinnati, which has dropped five of seven away from home following a five-game road run.

Phillips is 4 for 9 since lashing out at a local reporter who asked the veteran second baseman about his sagging on-base percentage. He's 12 for 26 with 10 RBIs - and a .500 OBP - in his last seven games against the Rockies.

Phillips has never faced Colorado starter Juan Nicasio (8-6, 4.57), who is 2-0 with a 1.53 ERA in his last three starts. He allowed four hits and struck out a season-high nine in six scoreless innings of a 6-1 victory over San Francisco on Monday.

"It's a hard slider that he's throwing that he's getting swings and misses,' manager Walt Weiss said. "When he gets it near the plate it's been effective."

The right-hander gave up three runs in six innings while not factoring in the decision of a 5-4 win at Cincinnati on June 4.

Rosario is 9 for 12 in the last three games.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                      Reds at Rockies
                      Fri, Aug 30 Final 6 to 9
                      Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                      Reds at Rockies
                      Sat, Aug 31 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
                      Reds at Rockies
                      Sun, Sep 1 - 4:10PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Giants (60-74) at Diamondbacks (68-65)
                        Venue: Chase Field
                        Date: August 31, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

The Arizona Diamondbacks have chosen a bad time to fall into an offensive slump.

The Diamondbacks will look to get back on track against an improving Ryan Vogelsong and the visiting San Francisco Giants on Saturday night.

The Diamondbacks, six games behind Cincinnati for the NL's second wild card, have totaled a single run in back-to-back losses. They left 18 runners on base over those two games and are 1 for their last 14 with runners in scoring position.

Arizona had runners on base in eight of nine frames of Friday's 1-0 loss to San Francisco.

"If you want to win those games you have to have better at_bats," manager Kirk Gibson said. "That's all there is to it.'

Miguel Montero, who struck out with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth inning Friday, is 0 for his last 7 with runners in scoring position with three strikeouts.

The Diamondbacks (68-65) traded away Jason Kubel, one of their biggest disappointments, on Friday. Kubel was 14 for his last 99 (.141) with 39 strikeouts.

Arizona will try to avoid a prolonged offensive slump when it faces Vogelsong (3-4, 5.58 ERA), but that might not be easy. The right-hander was spectacular his last time out, surrendering two hits in eight scoreless innings of a 4-0 win against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

"That's one of the best pitched games we've had," manager Bruce Bochy said. "It was fun to watch. He put on a show on the art of pitching. He was comfortable throwing any pitch at any time."

Vogelsong has pitched very well since his return from a fractured right hand, posting a 2.55 ERA over four starts. He hasn't given up a run over his last 12 innings.

"I thought I was settling in over my last four innings against the Red Sox (on Aug. 20) and I just stayed with what's working,' Vogelsong said. "I didn't throw the ball well before I got hurt and wasn't finding anything comfortable. The goal is to finish strong and I feel like I'm on the way to that."

Arizona, however, has had Vogelsong's number of late.

Vogelsong has a 10.54 ERA over his last three starts in the series, failing to escape the fourth inning in two of those. On April 22, Arizona scored four runs off him - including home runs by Eric Chavez and pitcher Wade Miley - in seven innings.

The Diamondbacks are hoping six days' rest is enough for Trevor Cahill after the right-hander pitched 11 innings in a three-day stretch.

Cahill (5-10, 4.39) surrendered one run and four hits in seven innings of a 2-1 loss to Cincinnati on Aug. 22, then pitched four scoreless innings of relief in Arizona's 12-7 victory over Philadelphia in 18 innings two days later.

Cahill had pitched very well against San Francisco - with a 2.52 ERA through his first eight starts - until June 8, when the Giants got to him for eight runs and nine hits in 3 2-3 innings.

The Giants (60-74) are 26-21 in games that Angel Pagan has played in this season. After missing more than three months with a strained right hamstring, he doubled in his first at-bat back Friday and scored the only run of the game.

Pagan has 31 runs in 46 games leading off for the Giants. They've gotten just 46 runs from the leadoff spot in the 88 games without Pagan at the top of the order.

"Good to have him back," Bochy said. "It was a lift for the club. Although we got shut down with the bats, we did something we haven't done a lot of and that's get an early run."

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                        Giants at Diamondbacks
                        Fri, Aug 30 Final 1 to 0
                        Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                        Giants at Diamondbacks
                        Sat, Aug 31 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
                        Giants at Diamondbacks

Comment

• Preview: Rays (75-58) at Athletics (76-58)
                          Venue: O.co Coliseum
                          Date: August 31, 2013 9:05 PM EDT

Kurt Suzuki enjoyed a triumphant return to Oakland, helping the Athletics continue their recent run of clutch hitting in the series opener.

Now they'll try to keep it going against a hurler who has had their number as of late.

The A's look to build upon their AL wild-card lead with their fifth win in six games Saturday night when they face Alex Cobb and the visiting Tampa Bay Rays.

Suzuki hit a three-run home run in the fifth inning off David Price, and Jed Lowrie added the go-ahead double against reliever Joel Peralta in the eighth as Oakland (76-58) dealt Price his first loss since July 12 with Friday's 4-3 victory.

Suzuki, who played for the A's from 2007-12, went 2 for 3 in his first game back at the Coliseum since being acquired from Washington on Aug. 23. He has five hits and four RBIs in his last two overall.

"Just being around the guys, I've played with the majority of the guys in this locker room last year or years before," Suzuki said. "It just seems like I never left.'

Lowrie is batting .400 over a 12-game hitting streak and has an Oakland-record 13 doubles this month, while Josh Donaldson added two hits Friday and is 9 for 23 over a six-game hitting streak.

The A's have averaged 7.6 runs and batted .341 - including .377 with runners in scoring position - in winning four of five to take a one-half game lead over Tampa Bay (75-58) for the top wild-card spot. They also pulled within two games of first-place Texas in the AL West.

The Rays will attempt to regain the wild-card edge and potentially reduce their 3 1/2-game deficit to Boston in the East by giving the ball to Cobb (8-2, 2.87 ERA), who is 2-0 with a 2.16 ERA in three starts since missing two months after taking a line drive off the side of his head on June 15.

While the right-hander has fanned 16 in those outings, he's also walked nine over 16 2-3 innings.

"I definitely think it has been a gradual return in performance as far as me feeling comfortable in locating the fastball and mixing in pitches," Cobb told the team's official website.

Cobb, however, has won three straight versus the A's, posting a 1.54 ERA. He gave up three runs over 7 1-3 innings of an 8-3 win on April 19 but matched a season high by allowing 10 hits.

Lowrie equaled a career high by going 4 for 4 in that contest, while Coco Crisp - 5 for 11 lifetime versus Cobb - homered.

Alberto Callaspo (0 for 10), Seth Smith (1 for 9) and Yoenis Cespedes (1 for 7), though, haven't fared as well against him.

The A's counter with rookie right-hander Sonny Gray (1-2, 3.18), who hopes to regroup following his worst start.

Vying to become the first pitcher since Wayne Simpson in 1970 to begin his career with four consecutive starts of six innings while giving up four or fewer hits, the 2011 first-round pick allowed six runs and eight hits over 3 1-3 innings in a 10-3 loss at Baltimore on Sunday.

Gray looks to get back on track against a Tampa Bay team hitting .218 with 15 runs scored while dropping five of six.

Evan Longoria (1 for 19), Desmond Jennings (2 for 27) and Wil Myers (0 for 19) are among those Rays mired in slumps, though Ben Zobrist is batting .370 during a seven-game hitting streak versus Oakland.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                          Rays at Athletics
                          Fri, Aug 30 Final 3 to 4
                          Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                          Rays at Athletics
                          Sat, Aug 31 - 9:05PM EDT

GAME 3
                          Rays at Athletics
                          Sun, Sep 1 - 4:05PM EDT

Comment

• Preview: Padres (60-74) at Dodgers (79-55)
                            Venue: Dodger Stadium
                            Date: August 31, 2013 9:10 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig is one of the biggest contributors to the Los Angeles Dodgers heading towards an NL West title.

The Dodgers would prefer he remains on the field.

After putting a pair of disciplinary issues behind him, Puig looks to continue pounding on the San Diego Padres in the middle game of this series Saturday night.

Puig is a leading contender for the NL Rookie of the Year award and a sensation for the Dodgers (79-55), who are 10 1/2 games ahead of second-place Arizona. His .354 average, 13 homers, 31 RBIs and 53 runs are key reasons Los Angeles is all but assured of returning to the postseason for the first time in four years.

Despite his tremendous production, the right fielder has recently found himself in the center of controversy. Puig was benched after four innings of Wednesday's 4-0 win over the Chicago Cubs, failing to break up a double play with a slide and slamming down his bat after striking out.

Those on-field incidents came a week after he was fined for arriving late to a game.

Puig moved past those issues Friday, collecting a double among his four hits and stealing two bases to power a 9-2 win over San Diego. He's 9 for 16 with two doubles, one homer and two RBIs over his last four games, and that production may only continue versus the Padres (60-74).

"He played the game the way we want," manager Don Mattingly said. "The other day is over and he played well tonight. We've talked about it, and it's over. It's not something that continues on. It's been handled and we're moving forward. He understands where we're coming from.

"I like Yasiel. He's a good player, he's a good kid, and I think he's going to help us win. So I want him in there.'

Puig has a .394 average with three homers and seven RBIs over eight meetings.

Adrian Gonzalez, a member of the Padres from 2006-10, has also tormented his former team, hitting .354 with six homers and 18 RBIs over the last 20 games. That includes a .405 average while plating 10 runs in 10 matchups at Chavez Ravine.

The first baseman drove in four Friday while hitting two homers.

Production at the plate may be important since Chris Capuano (4-7, 4.74) takes the mound. He's 0-1 with a 6.98 ERA while failing to reach the sixth inning in each of his last four starts.

The veteran left-hander was pulled after the fifth again Sunday, giving up three runs and six hits in an 8-1 loss to Boston.

Capuano is 0-1 with a 4.66 ERA in four games - two starts - versus the Padres this year. However, he was sharp against them June 23, throwing five scoreless innings while not getting a decision in a 3-1 road win.

The Padres, losers of six of eight, give the ball to Andrew Cashner (8-8, 3.55), who could use some help if he's going to avoid a fourth straight loss.

The right-hander has been backed by three total runs over his last four starts, a big reason he's 0-3 despite a 2.42 ERA in that span.

The offense didn't give him any support Sunday while he yielded two hits in seven scoreless innings of a 3-2 win over the Chicago Cubs.

Cashner experienced a similar scenario in his only career start against Capuano on June 23, giving up one run in eight innings while also not getting a decision.

---------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
                            Padres at Dodgers
                            Fri, Aug 30 Final 2 to 9
                            Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
                            Padres at Dodgers
                            Sat, Aug 31 - 9:10PM EDT

GAME 3
                            Padres at Dodgers

Comment

• MLB
                              Dunkel

St. Louis at Pittsburgh
                              The Cardinals look to bounce back from last night's 5-0 loss and build on their 10-2 record in Lance Lynn's last 12 starts after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game. St. Louis is the pick (+115) according to Dunkel, which has the Cardinals favored by 1. Dunkel Pick: St. Louis (+115). Here are all of today's picks.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 31

Game 901-902: Philadelphia at Chicago Cubs (4:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Philadelphia (Lee) 14.931; Cubs (Rusin) 13.636
                              Dunkel Line: Philadelphia by 1 1/2; 6
                              Vegas Line: Philadelphia (-140); No Run Total
                              Dunkel Pick: Philadelphia (-140); N/A

Game 903-904: NY Mets at Washington (7:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: NY Mets (Wheeler) 15.585; Washington (Haren) 14.665
                              Dunkel Line: NY Mets by 1; 8
                              Vegas Line: Washington (-155); 7 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: NY Mets (+135); Over

Game 905-906: St. Louis at Pittsburgh (7:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: St. Louis (Lynn) 16.181; Pittsburgh (Burnett) 15.000
                              Dunkel Line: St. Louis by 1; 8
                              Vegas Line: Pittsburgh (-135); 7 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: St. Louis (+115); Over

Game 907-908: Miami at Atlanta (7:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Miami (Turner) 14.189; Atlanta (Minor) 16.081
                              Dunkel Line: Atlanta by 2; 6
                              Vegas Line: Atlanta (-230); 7
                              Dunkel Pick: Atlanta (-230); Under

Game 909-910: Cincinnati at Colorado (8:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Cincinnati (Reynolds) 15.181; Colorado (Nicasio) 16.294
                              Dunkel Line: Colorado by 1; 9
                              Vegas Line: Cincinnati (-125); 10
                              Dunkel Pick: Colorado (+105); Under

Game 911-912: San Francisco at Arizona (8:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: San Francisco (Vogelsong) 14.710; Arizona (Cahill) 16.453
                              Dunkel Line: Arizona by 1 1/2; 9
                              Vegas Line: Arizona (-140); 8 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: Arizona (-140); Over

Game 913-914: San Diego at LA Dodgers (9:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: San Diego (Cashner) 15.072; LA Dodgers (Capuano) 14.143
                              Dunkel Line: San Diego by 1; 6
                              Vegas Line: LA Dodgers (-160); 7 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: San Diego (+140); Under

Game 915-916: Kansas City at Toronto (1:07 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Kansas City (Guthrie) 14.298; Toronto (Dickey) 15.734
                              Dunkel Line: Toronto by 1 1/2; 9
                              Vegas Line: Toronto (-130); 8 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: Toronto (-130); Over

Game 917-918: Baltimore at NY Yankees (1:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Baltimore (Feldman) 16.051; NY Yankees (Nova) 15.134
                              Dunkel Line: Baltimore by 1; 8
                              Vegas Line: NY Yankees (-125); 9
                              Dunkel Pick: Baltimore (+105); Under

Game 919-920: Cleveland at Detroit (7:08 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Cleveland (Kazmir) 14.618; Detroit (Sanchez) 15.932
                              Dunkel Line: Detroit by 1 1/2; 9
                              Vegas Line: Detroit (-170); 8 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: Detroit (-170); Over

Game 921-922: Chicago White Sox at Boston (7:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: White Sox (Danks) 16.284; Boston (Peavy) 17.946
                              Dunkel Line: Boston by 1 1/2; 9
                              Vegas Line: Boston (-210); 8 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: Boston (-210); Over

Game 923-924: Seattle at Houston (7:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Seattle (Saunders) 14.563; Houston (Keuchel) 13.439
                              Dunkel Line: Seattle by 1; 8
                              Vegas Line: Houston (-110); 9
                              Dunkel Pick: Seattle (-110); Under

Game 925-926: Minnesota at Texas (8:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Minnesota (Pelfrey) 15.791; Texas (Garza) 14.870
                              Dunkel Line: Minnesota by 1; 10
                              Vegas Line: Texas (-240); 9
                              Dunkel Pick: Minnesota (+200); Over

Game 927-928: Tampa Bay at Oakland (9:05 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: Tampa Bay (Cobb) 14.816; Oakland (Gray) 16.482
                              Dunkel Line: Oakland by 1 1/2; 6
                              Vegas Line: Oakland (-130); 7
                              Dunkel Pick: Oakland (-130); Under

Game 929-930: LA Angels at Milwaukee (7:10 p.m. EST)
                              Dunkel Ratings: LA Angels (Williams) 16.179; Milwaukee (Estrada) 14.739
                              Dunkel Line: LA Angels by 1 1/2; 9
                              Vegas Line: Milwaukee (-150); 8 1/2
                              Dunkel Pick: LA Angels (+130); Over

Comment

• MLB
                                Armadillo's Write-Up

Saturday, August 31

Hot pitchers
                                -- Lee is 1-1, 2.35 in his last three starts. Rusin is 1-2, 1.50 in his last four.
                                -- Haren is 4-0, 2.03 in his last six starts. Wheeler is 2-1, 2.45 in his last four.
                                -- Minor is 4-0, 3.03 in his last six starts.
                                -- Nicasio is 2-0, 2.12 in his last three starts.
                                -- Vogelsong is 1-0, 1.20 in his last two starts. Cahill is 2-0, 2.81 in three outings since coming off the DL.
                                -- Cashner has a 2.57 RA and no wins in his last three starts.

-- Estrada is 2-0, 1.88 in his last four starts.

-- Sanchez is 4-0, 2.12 in his last seven starts.
                                -- Nova is 3-0, 2.62 in his last five starts. Feldman is 2-0, 2.65 in his last three.
                                -- Danks is 2-0, 1.29 in his last couple starts. Former White Sox Peavy is 1-1, 1.74 in his last three starts.
                                -- Pelfrey is 1-0, 3.50 in his last three starts.
                                -- Gray is 1-0, 1.20 in his two home starts. Cobb is 2-0, 2.70 in his last three starts overall.

Cold pitchers
                                -- Turner is 0-4, 4.91 in his last eight starts.
                                -- Burnett is 1-2, 5.92 in his last four starts. Lynn is 0-3, 6.12 in his last four.
                                -- Former Rockie Reynolds is 0-2, 5.64 in two starts this season.
                                -- Capuano is 0-1, 7.58 in his last four starts.

-- Since July 1, Williams is 0-7, 8.18 in ten starts.

-- Guthrie is 1-3, 5.63 in his last four starts. Dickey is 1-1, 4.13 in his last four.
                                -- Kazmir is 0-2, 7.07 in his last three starts.
                                -- Saunders is 0-3, 10.38 in his last four starts. Keuchel is 1-1, 5.33 in his last four starts.
                                -- Garza is 2-2, 5.77 in his last five starts.

Starting Pitchers/First Inning
                                You can wager on whether teams will score in the first inning. Below is how often a starting pitcher has allowed 1+ runs in first inning in one of his starts........
                                -- Lee 4-25; Rusin 3-8
                                -- Wheeler 4-13 (0 of last 6); Haren 5-24 (1 of last 6)
                                -- Lynn 7-27; Burnett 5-24 (0 of last 6)
                                -- Turner 4-16; Minor 9-26
                                -- Reynolds 1-2; Nicasio 11-25 (4 of last 6)
                                -- Vogelsong 6-13; Cahill 4-19 (0 of last 7)
                                -- Cashner 8-22; Capuano 5-17

-- Williams 5-19 (0 of last 5); Estrada 4-16

-- Guthrie 7-27 (1 of last 7); Dickey 7-28 (1 of last 8)
                                -- Feldman 6-24 (1 of last 8); Nova 5-14 (1 of last 6)
                                -- Kazmir 7-23 (3 of last 5); Sanchez 7-23
                                -- Danks 6-18 (1 of last 6); Peavy 2-18 (0 of 5 with Boston)
                                -- Saunders 9-27; Keuchel 2-17
                                -- Pelfrey 9-24; Garza 1-19
                                -- Cobb 3-16 (1 of last 9); Gray 2-4

Totals
                                -- Four of last six Cub games stayed under the total.
                                -- Three of last four St Louis road games went over the total.
                                -- Over is 6-2-1 in last nine Washington games.
                                -- Eight of last nine Atlanta games stayed under.
                                -- Under is 7-1-2 in last ten Colorado games.
                                -- You're reading www.***************.com.
                                -- Under is 5-1-1 in last seven San Francisco games.
                                -- Four of last six San Diego games stayed under.

-- Eight of last ten Angel games stayed under the total. Eight of Milwaukee's last eleven games went over.

-- Eight of last nine Cleveland games stayed under total.
                                -- 13 of last 18 Toronto games stayed under the total.
                                -- Seven of last ten Bronx games stayed under the total.
                                -- Nine of last eleven White Sox games stayed under total.
                                -- Four of last five Minnesota games stayed under total.
                                -- Five of last six Houston games stayed under the total.
                                -- Nine of last ten Oakland games went over the total.

Hot teams
                                -- Phillies won seven of their last ten games.
                                -- Cardinals won six of their last nine games.
                                -- Nationals won eight of their last ten games.
                                -- Braves won their last five games, allowing six runs.
                                -- Rockies won five of their last seven games.
                                -- Giants won four of their last six games. Arizona won five of its last seven home games.
                                -- Dodgers won seven of their last ten games.

-- Angels won six of their last seven games.

-- Royals won five of their last six games. Toronto won four of last five.
                                -- Detroit won its last two games, scoring 14 runs.
                                -- White Sox won eight of last 11 games. Red Sox won five of last six.
                                -- Rangers won three of their last four games.
                                -- A's won five of their last seven games.

Cold teams
                                -- Cubs lost eight of their last ten games.
                                -- Pirates lost four of their last six games.
                                -- Mets lost six of their last nine games, but won last two.
                                -- Marlins lost nine of their last ten games.
                                -- Reds lost five of their last seven games.
                                -- San Diego lost six of its last eight road games.

-- Milwaukee lost four of its last five home games.

-- Indians lost last four games, outscored 15-5.
                                -- Bronx lost four of last seven games. Orioles lost six of last seven on road.
                                -- Twins lost five of their last six games.
                                -- Mariners lost six of their last eight games. Houston lost five of last six..
                                -- Tampa Bay lost five of its last six games.

Umpires
                                -- Phil-Chi-- Favorites won eight of last ten Reynolds games.
                                -- NY-Wsh-- Underdogs won six of last ten Carlson games.
                                -- StL-Pitt-- Under is 6-2-1 in last nine Dimuro games.
                                -- Mia-Atl-- Six of last seven Timmons games went over the total.
                                -- Cin-Col-- 13 of last 17 Johnson games stayed under the total.
                                -- SF-Az-- Nine of last thirteen Tichenor games went over the total.
                                -- SD-LA-- Under is 5-1-1 in last seven Layne games.

-- LAA-Mil-- Underdogs won six of last eight Hickox games; over is 7-3-1 in his last eleven games behind the plate.

-- KC-Tor-- Eight of twelve Little games went over the total.
                                -- Balt-NY-- Six of last eight Fairchild games went over the total.
                                -- Cle-Det-- Five of last six Carapazza games went over the total.
                                -- Chi-Bos-- Last eight Nauert games stayed under the total.
                                -- Sea-Hst-- Underdogs won last five Dreckman games.
                                -- Min-Tex-- Over is 4-1-1 in last six Bell games.
                                -- TB-A's-- Under is 5-0-1 in last six Gonzalez games.

Comment

Working...
                                X