Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuesday's Trends and Indexes - 6/14 (NHL, MLB, WNBA, Misc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday's Trends and Indexes - 6/14 (NHL, MLB, WNBA, Misc.)

Trends and Indexes

Tuesday, June 14

Good Luck on day #165 of 2011!

At this time, the sports menu in this thread consists of NHL, MLB and WNBA until their seasons are played out. Also, general sports news and notes will be posted.

NOTE:
    As information becomes available, we will attempt to post the trends and indexes as soon as possible.
    Information is posted from what we believe are reliable sources.
    Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the posting member or BettorsChat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matchup Links

NHL Matchups

NHL Injuries

NHL Hot and Not

MLB Matchups

MLB Previews

MLB Hot or Not

MLB Umpires

MLB Trends

MLB Weather

NASCAR Schedules

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday’s betting tips: Giants get big bat back

Who’s hot

MLB: Detroit is 7-2 in Justin Verlander’s last nine starts.

MLB: Arizona has won 10 of its last 13 at home.

MLB: Seattle has won nine of its last 12 home games.

Who’s not

MLB: Baltimore has won just 16 of its last 53 meetings with Toronto.

MLB: Just one of Boston’s last 12 games has played under the total.

MLB: Washington has lost each of Yuneski Maya’s last eight starts.

Key stat

92.7 – The Atlanta Dream are giving up 92.7 points per game through their first three contests, worst in the WNBA. They are 0-3 straight up and against the spread heading into Tuesday’s date with the New York Liberty. New York is pegged as a 3-point home favorite.

Injury that shouldn’t be overlooked

Derek Jeter, New York Yankees: Jeter left Monday’s game against Cleveland with a strained calf in the fifth inning and his status for Tuesday’s game against Texas is now in question. Jeter is currently six hits away from the 3000th of his career.

Game of the day

San Francisco Giants at Arizona Diamondbacks (-125, 7.5)

Notable quotable

“I’m going to Wimbledon with the feeling that I’m going to win the tournament. I don’t think you can go in with any other attitude. I feel like I’m playing good tennis. I’ll need to improve the next week or so and work on some things going into Wimbledon.” – Andy Murray after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final of the Queen’s Championship, the Wimbledon warmup tournament. Murray made it all the way to the French Open semifinals and is set at +650 to win Wimbledon.

Notes and tips

When Pablo Sandoval went down with a wrist injury on April 30, San Francisco Giants bettors were wondering where the offense was going to come from. It turns out they managed just fine without him, but under bettors won’t like to see him back in the lineup Tuesday against Arizona. San Francisco is putting up just 3.48 runs per game but leads the NL West at 37-29 while playing under in 37 games so far as well. Sandoval was hitting .313 with five dingers and 14 RBI in 24 games before hitting the shelf.

The struggling Cleveland Indians are willing to try just about anything at this point to push a few runs across and right now that means sticking Grady Sizemore in the leadoff spot. Sizemore also batted first in Monday’s series finale against the Yankees with Asdrubal Cabrera moving to the cleanup stop and catcher Carlos Santana manning the No. 2 hole.

Comment

Tuesday's six-pack

-- Umpiring in big leagues is getting worse; I'm afraid we're not far away from an instant replay system like the NFL has. Seriously.

-- Arizona pitcher Zach Duke has hit two homers in his five starts this year; both have come against pitchers on my fantasy team. Terrific.

-- Pittsburgh Pirates have used six different catchers so far this season.

-- In their last four games, Padres have played two 2-1 games, a 3-1 tilt and a 2-0 contest. Not a lot of offense going on with San Diego.

-- Wednesday night will be the first time since 1987 that there will be a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals on Canadian ice. Last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was 1993.

-- Happy birthday to the Big Dawg, who turns 29 again today.

Tuesday's Den: Looking back on the last ten years.......

This website turns ten years old today; it doesn’t seem like ten years, but then I think about how things were then and how they are now, and so much has changed, that I guess it does seem like a long time. Maybe its just that time flies when you’re having fun, and believe me, writing this is fun for me, or I wouldn’t do it.

A few years ago, someone I used to work with asked me why I liked sports so much; it seemed like an odd question at first, since I don't know the guy very well, but then it made sense, when I explained to him that it was like a real-life soap opera, where we’re under the illusion that we’re getting to know the participants when we either root for or against them. He seemed to accept that answer and that was that.

We think we know these people we see competing on TV, but we only know them as competitors; as people, behind closed doors, they’re as mysterious to us as we would be to them. One thing for sure, no matter how famous you are or how rich you are, we’re all human, we’re all going to screw up now and again, and when you’re famous and you foul up, EVERYBODY knows about it and EVERYBODY has an opinion about it. With today’s avalanche of media, there is no escaping the public eye for a celebrity who inevitably shows us his human side.

This has become more and more true in the ten years that I’ve been writing this little article every day; more often than not, I try to stay away from messing around with someone’s personal life- it really isn’t any of my business, unless it intrudes on his job (see Woods, Eldrick).

Does ESPN need a 90-minute SportsCenter in June, when there’s nothing going on besides baseball, golf and NASCAR? Of course not, but they can sell commercials to fit into a 90-minute window, so they have to come up with 90 minutes worth of “news”. Good luck there.

Some of first things that cross my mind when I think of last ten years
      -- There is an incredible amount of media nowadays; I mean, the waitress at the Perkins who fooled around with Eldrick Woods; there were people following Woods around while that was going on, long before any of us had any idea what was going on. People are starved for news and there are media outlets willing to pay for juicy gossip.
      -- When I was a kid, I'd see boxscores of A's home games at 4:00 the next afternoon, when the afternoon paper came; now I follow the games in real time on the computer while watching it on TV. Thats solid progress.

-- There aren't many things as fun as a football weekend, starting at noon Saturday with college games, ending with the Sunday night NFL game. It is my sincere hope that the rich folk make sure there is an NFL in 2011.
      -- Going to Florida for five years to watch summer basketball tourneys was a great experience; met lot of terrific people, ate lot of hot dogs and peanuts and saw lot of good basketball. I miss those days.

-- Rick Carlisle's Dallas Mavericks made a lot of us happy, proving that WE is more powerful than ME. Thank God. I was beginning to wonder.
      -- A few years ago, I got so annoyed watching Allen Iverson play that I charted how many dribbles he took; I stopped when he hit 300. Wasn't lot of fun watching one guy dominate the ball. Dallas plays the right way. I'm thinking Miami still has no idea how it wanted to play.

-- When I was a kid, baseball was king from April til October; its not so popular anymore. People still root for their home team, but lot of those teams have no realistic chance of winning. Except for those of us who are interested in gambling or in fantasy leagues, not many fans follow all the teams anymore, and that is disappointing.
      -- I wonder if ballplayers get a lot of grief from people who have them on a fantasy team. Must admit that I take more time tinkering with my team that I do following the A's, since I can actually impact whether a fantasy team wins or loses-- its simply more fun to be in control, win or lose.

-- The intensity of college football games in the southeast is impressive; having seen a couple of SEC games, there's nothing quite like a day when you sit in a folding chair in a field, watching a flatscreen TV stashed in the luggage compartment of a Winnebago attached to a satellite dish, eating Church's Fried Chicken until its time to go to the stadium for the game. Now that a superior day.
      -- I cannot underestimate this; Church's Fried Chicken is amazingly good, America's most underrated food, with Steak 'n Shake a close second. The avocado smoothie at Town Square in Las Vegas is also tremendous.

-- There are two places every American should visit; New York City and Las Vegas, the two greatest people-watching places I've ever been. I'm not a good enough writer to describe to you how unique those places are. You just never know what you're going to see and not all of it is good.
      -- Minor league baseball might be the best entertainment value we have in this country. It really is a lot of fun and its not expensive.

-- New York Giants have training camp here in Albany and I've gotten to know some of the front office people; terrific guys, really good guys who do nice things all the time. They'd probably cringe if you called them nice, but when my dad had cancer, they gave him a football autographed by the whole team. They didn't have to do that, but thats what they do. Classy.
      -- I'm not sure that the rule making college basketball players go to school for at least a year has helped the sport; really think it was better when a kid could jump right to the NBA, if he thought he was good enough.

-- If you've never been to a professional hockey game in person, make it a point to go; its the one sport that loses a lot in the transition to TV.
      -- I haven't played golf once since I started writing this site, which is going to change pretty soon. I ordered one of those Hank Haney instructional gismos that grooves your swing for you and I'll be at a driving range near you soon. Please be advised.

From a more personal standpoint, I think of these things:
      -- 9/11/01 changed everything for all of us. Made us a little less cocky, a little less sure of the crazy world around us.
      -- I lost a parent, the hardest part of which was watching my other parent carry on (they were married 48 years). Its not fun to watch people you love suffer.
      -- You look in the mirror one day and realize you’re 50 years old, closer to being old than to being young. It hits you like a hammer, until you realize that age is simply a number and a state of mind.
      -- From here on in, I hope to do more, worry less, smile a lot, take better care of time, our most valuable commodity. Not all of us will run out of money, but eventually, all of us will run out of time.
      -- I’ve been exceptionally lucky in my life, blessed to meet tons of good people, do lots of fun things and hopefully put a few smiles on the faces of people whom I cross paths with. I sincerely hope you enjoy reading this site, even as half as much as I enjoy writing it. Thanks again. Hope we’re all still here doing the same goofy things ten years from now.

Comment

WNBA
        Dunkel

Atlanta at New York
        The Dream look to build on their 8-1 ATS record in their last 9 road games. Atlanta is the pick (+3 1/2) according to Dunkel, which has the Liberty favored by only 1 1/2. Dunkel Pick: Atlanta (+3 1/2). Here are all of today's picks.

TUESDAY, JUNE 14

Game 601-602: Tulsa at Indiana (7:05 p.m. EST)

Dunkel Ratings: Tulsa 100.756; Indiana 116.311
        Dunkel Line & Total: Indiana by 15 1/2; 153
        Vegas Line & Total: Indiana by 15; 157
        Dunkel Pick: Indiana (-15); Under

Game 603-604: Atlanta at New York (7:05 p.m. EST)
        Dunkel Ratings: Atlanta 116.463; New York 117.727
        Dunkel Line & Total: New York by 1 1/2; 171
        Vegas Line & Total: New York by 3 1/2; 166 1/2
        Dunkel Pick: Atlanta (+3 1/2); Over

WNBA

Tuesday, June 14

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Trend Report
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 PM
        ATLANTA vs. NEW YORK
        Atlanta is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against New York
        The total has gone OVER in 4 of Atlanta's last 6 games when playing New York
        The total has gone OVER in 5 of New York's last 6 games at home
        New York is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Atlanta

7:00 PM
        TULSA vs. INDIANA
        Tulsa is 3-6 SU in its last 9 games when playing Indiana
        Tulsa is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Indiana
        The total has gone OVER in 4 of Indiana's last 6 games when playing at home against Tulsa
        Indiana is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Tulsa

Comment

MLB
          Dunkel

Texas at NY Yankees
          The Rangers look to build on their 6-0 record in Alexi Ogando's last 6 starts. Texas is the pick (+130) according to Dunkel, which has the Rangers favored by 1. Dunkel Pick: Texas (+130). Here are all of today's picks.

TUESDAY, JUNE 14

Game 951-952: St. Louis at Washington (7:05 p.m. EST)

Dunkel Ratings: St. Louis (Garcia) 14.633; Washington (Maya) 15.296
          Dunkel Line: Washington by 1/2; 7
          Vegas Line: St. Louis (-150); 8
          Dunkel Pick: Washington (+130); Under

Game 953-954: Florida at Philadelphia (7:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Florida (Volstad) 13.796; Philadelphia (Hamels) 15.052
          Dunkel Line: Philadelphia by 1 1/2; 9
          Vegas Line: Philadelphia (-215); 8
          Dunkel Pick: Philadelphia (-215); Over

Game 955-956: NY Mets at Atlanta (7:10 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: NY Mets (Niese) 15.064; Atlanta (Jurrjens) 15.591
          Dunkel Line: Atlanta by 1/2; 6 1/2
          Vegas Line: Atlanta (-155); 7
          Dunkel Pick: Atlanta (-155); Under

Game 957-958: Pittsburgh at Houston (8:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Pittsburgh (Karstens) 15.203; Houston (Norris) 13.911
          Dunkel Line: Pittsburgh by 1 1/2; 8
          Vegas Line: Houston (-125); 7 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: Pittsburgh (+105); Over

Game 959-960: Milwaukee at Chicago Cubs (8:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Milwaukee (Gallardo) 15.463; Cubs (Wells) 13.950
          Dunkel Line: Milwaukee by 1 1/2; 7
          Vegas Line: Milwaukee (-145); No Run Total
          Dunkel Pick: Milwaukee (-145); N/A

Game 961-962: San Diego at Colorado (8:40 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: San Diego (LeBlanc) 15.121; Colorado (Nicasio) 14.460
          Dunkel Line: San Diego by 1/2; 10
          Vegas Line: No Line
          Dunkel Pick: N/A

Game 963-964: San Francisco at Arizona (9:40 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: San Francisco (Cain) 15.564; Arizona (Collmeter) 14.856
          Dunkel Line: San Francisco by 1/2; 8
          Vegas Line: Arizona (-125); 7 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: San Francisco (+105); Over

Game 965-966: Cincinnati at LA Dodgers (10:10 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Cincinnati (Cueto) 15.663; LA Dodgers (Kershaw) 16.475
          Dunkel Line: LA Dodgers by 1; 6
          Vegas Line: LA Dodgers (-125); 6 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: LA Dodgers (-125); Under

Game 967-968: Texas at NY Yankees (7:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Texas (Ogando) 16.773; NY Yankees (Sabathia) 15.795
          Dunkel Line: Texas by 1; 8
          Vegas Line: NY Yankees (-150); 8 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: Texas (+130); Under

Game 969-970: Cleveland at Detroit (7:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Cleveland (Masterson) 14.589; Detroit (Verlander) 16.401
          Dunkel Line: Detroit by 2; 8 1/2
          Vegas Line: Detroit (-180); 7 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: Detroit (-180); Over

Game 971-972: Baltimore at Toronto (7:07 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Baltimore (Jakubauskas) 14.798; Toronto (Villanueva) 14.241
          Dunkel Line: Baltimore by 1/2; 10
          Vegas Line: Toronto (-155); 9
          Dunkel Pick: Baltimore (+135); Over

Game 973-974: Boston at Tampa Bay (7:10 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Boston (Wakefield) 15.974; Tampa Bay (Shields) 16.544
          Dunkel Line: Tampa Bay by 1/2; 8 1/2
          Vegas Line: Tampa Bay (-125); 9
          Dunkel Pick: Tampa Bay (-125); Under

Game 975-976: Chicago White Sox at Minnesota (8:10 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: White Sox (Floyd) 16.452; Minnesota (Pavano) 15.925
          Dunkel Line: Chicago White Sox by 1/2; 7
          Vegas Line: Chicago White Sox (-130); 7 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: Chicago White Sox (-130); Under

Game 977-978: Kansas City at Oakland (10:05 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: Kansas City (Duffy) 14.712; Oakland (Cahill) 14.397
          Dunkel Line: Kansas City by 1/2; 7 1/2
          Vegas Line: Oakland (-170); 7
          Dunkel Pick: Kansas City (+150); Over

Game 979-980: LA Angels at Seattle (10:10 p.m. EST)
          Dunkel Ratings: LA Angels (Weaver) 15.021; Seattle (Fister) 14.458
          Dunkel Line: LA Angels by 1/2; 6
          Vegas Line: LA Angels (-145); 6 1/2
          Dunkel Pick: LA Angels (-145); Under

Comment

MLB
            Write-Up

Tuesday, June 14

Hot pitchers
            -- Hamels is 4-0, 1.62 in his last five starts.
            -- Jurrjens is 3-1, 2.17 in his last four starts. Niese is 2-0, 1.66 in his last three starts.
            -- Karstens has a 2.02 RA in his last six starts. Norris is 2-0, 3.21 in his last couple starts.
            -- Gallardo is 6-1, 2.20 in his last seven starts.
            -- Collmenter is 1-0, 0.50 in his last three starts. Cain is 2-0, 1.13 in his last two starts.
            -- Kershaw is 3-0, 1.93 in his last four home starts. Cueto has a 1.64 RA in his last three starts.

-- Verlander is 2-0, 2.45 in his last three starts.
            -- Ogando is 5-0, 2.03 in his last nine starts. Sabathia is 4-1, 2.90 in his last five starts.
            -- Toronto is 4-0 when Villanueva (3-0, 5.24) starts, scoring 33 runs. Jakubauskus won his only '11 start, blanking Oakland for five innings.
            -- Wakefield is 3-0, 4.32 in his last four starts.
            -- Pavano is 1-0, 1.69 in his last couple starts.
            -- Weaver is 1-0, 1.82 in his last four starts.

Cold pitchers
            -- Garcia is 1-2, 8.02 in his last four starts. Maya is 0-1, 5.40 in three starts for Washington.
            -- Volstad is 0-5, 5.60 in his last eight starts.
            -- Wells is 0-1, 9.00 in his last three starts.
            -- Nicasio is 0-1, 5.73 in his last couple starts. LeBlanc allowed three runs in eight IP in his only '11 start, a 3-1 loss to Philly.

-- Masterson is 0-4, 4.65 in his last six starts.
            -- Shields is 0-2, 7.00 in his last three starts.
            -- Floyd is 2-2, 4.35 in his last five starts.
            -- Cahill is 0-4, 6.11 in his last six starts. Royals are 0-5 when Duffy starts (0-2, 5.55).
            -- Fister is 1-3, 4.34 in his last four starts.

Totals
            -- Five of last six Washington games stayed under the total.
            -- Under is 12-6-1 in Phillies' last nineteen home games.
            -- Under is 7-2-1 in Atlanta's last ten home games.
            -- Four of last five Houston home games went over the total.
            -- Four of last five Milwaukee games stayed under total.
            -- Over is 11-4-2 in last seventeen games at Coors Field.
            -- Three of last four Arizona games went over the total.
            -- Last five Dodger games went over the total.

-- Over is 9-2-1 in last dozen games in the Bronx.
            -- Over is 9-5 in Cleveland's last fourteen road games.
            -- Seven of last eight Toronto home games went over the total.
            -- Over is 11-1 in Boston's last twelve games.
            -- White Sox' last five road games went over the total.
            -- Over is 7-1-1 in Kansas City's last nine road games.
            -- Four of Angels' last five road games went over the total.

Hot Teams
            -- Washington won its last three games, allowing two runs.
            -- Phillies won four of their last five games.
            -- Atlanta won six of its last seven games. Mets won seven of their last eleven games.
            -- Milwaukee won 16 of its last 22 games.
            -- Pirates won six of their last nine road games.
            -- Giants are 8-4 in their last twelve games. Arizona won its last three games, scoring 26 runs.

-- Bronx is 9-5 in its last fourteen games.
            -- Detroit won 11 of its last 15 games.
            -- Red Sox won their last nine games, scoring 83 runs. Tampa Bay won five of its last seven games.
            -- Minnesota won nine of its last eleven games. White Sox won five of their last seven.
            -- Mariners won nine of their last thirteen home games.

Cold Teams
            -- Cardinals lost four of their last five games.
            -- Marlins lost 12 of their last 14 games.
            -- Cubs lost 13 of their last 16 games.
            -- Astros lost eight of their last eleven home games.
            -- Colorado lost 16 of its last 23 games. Padres lost three of their last four games, scoring five runs.
            -- Reds are 2-8 in game following their last ten wins. Dodgers are 5-8 in their last thirteen home games.

-- Indians lost nine of their last eleven games.
            -- Rangers lost five of their last seven games.
            -- Toronto lost its last five home games, allowing 54 runs. Orioles lost six of their last seven road games.
            -- Oakland lost 12 of its last 13 games. Royals are 3-8 in their last 11 road games.
            -- Angels lost seven of their last nine games.

Comment

MLB

Tuesday, June 14

Trend Report

7:05 PM
              CLEVELAND vs. DETROIT
              Cleveland is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Detroit
              Cleveland is 4-8 SU in its last 12 games on the road
              Detroit is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Cleveland
              Detroit is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Cleveland

TEXAS vs. NY YANKEES
              Texas is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games on the road
              Texas is 3-6 SU in their last 9 games when playing on the road against NY Yankees
              NY Yankees are 6-3 SU in their last 9 games when playing at home against Texas
              NY Yankees are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing Texas

ST. LOUIS vs. WASHINGTON
              The total has gone UNDER in 10 of St. Louis's last 15 games when playing Washington
              St. Louis is 16-6 SU in its last 22 games when playing Washington
              The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Washington's last 15 games when playing St. Louis
              The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games

FLORIDA vs. PHILADELPHIA
              Florida is 1-11 SU in its last 12 games
              Florida is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games on the road
              Philadelphia is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
              Philadelphia is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home

7:07 PM
              BALTIMORE vs. TORONTO
              Baltimore is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Toronto
              The total has gone OVER in 4 of Baltimore's last 6 games when playing Toronto
              Toronto is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Baltimore
              Toronto is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games at home

7:10 PM
              BOSTON vs. TAMPA BAY
              The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston's last 5 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
              The total has gone OVER in 4 of Boston's last 5 games on the road
              The total has gone OVER in 4 of Tampa Bay's last 5 games when playing Boston
              Tampa Bay is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games

7:10 PM
              NY METS vs. ATLANTA
              The total has gone UNDER in 18 of NY Mets's last 25 games when playing Atlanta
              The total has gone UNDER in 4 of NY Mets's last 5 games on the road
              Atlanta is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games
              Atlanta is 10-4 SU in its last 14 games when playing NY Mets

8:05 PM
              MILWAUKEE vs. CHI CUBS
              Milwaukee is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
              Milwaukee is 17-6 SU in its last 23 games
              The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi Cubs's last 6 games
              The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chi Cubs's last 7 games when playing Milwaukee

8:05 PM
              PITTSBURGH vs. HOUSTON
              Pittsburgh is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Houston
              The total has gone OVER in 4 of Pittsburgh's last 6 games on the road
              Houston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Pittsburgh
              The total has gone OVER in 5 of Houston's last 7 games when playing Pittsburgh

8:10 PM
              CHI WHITE SOX vs. MINNESOTA
              Chi White Sox are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games when playing Minnesota
              Chi White Sox are 5-2 SU in their last 7 games
              The total has gone OVER in 6 of Minnesota's last 7 games when playing at home against Chi White Sox
              Minnesota is 5-1 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against Chi White Sox

8:40 PM
              SAN DIEGO vs. COLORADO
              San Diego is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing Colorado
              The total has gone OVER in 7 of San Diego's last 8 games when playing on the road against Colorado
              Colorado is 8-16 SU in its last 24 games
              The total has gone OVER in 4 of Colorado's last 5 games at home

9:40 PM
              SAN FRANCISCO vs. ARIZONA
              San Francisco is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games
              The total has gone UNDER in 5 of San Francisco's last 6 games
              The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Arizona's last 7 games when playing at home against San Francisco
              Arizona is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games when playing San Francisco

10:05 PM
              KANSAS CITY vs. OAKLAND
              The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Kansas City's last 9 games when playing Oakland
              Kansas City is 7-15 SU in its last 22 games
              Oakland is 14-6 SU in its last 20 games when playing Kansas City
              The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Oakland's last 9 games when playing Kansas City

10:10 PM
              CINCINNATI vs. LA DODGERS
              The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 6 games
              The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 6 games on the road
              LA Dodgers are 13-3 SU in their last 16 games when playing at home against Cincinnati
              LA Dodgers are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games

10:10 PM
              LA ANGELS vs. SEATTLE
              LA Angels are 14-4 SU in their last 18 games when playing Seattle
              LA Angels are 2-7 SU in their last 9 games
              Seattle is 9-4 SU in its last 13 games at home
              Seattle is 3-6 SU in their last 9 games when playing at home against LA Angels

Comment

MLB

Tuesday, June 14

MLB run report: This week's best betting trends

Every week, we update you on who's hot, who's not and situational betting spots in Major League Baseball.

HOT TEAM: Boston Red Sox

THIS SEASON: 39-26
                LAST WEEK: 6-0

THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE: At the Rays for three, home to the Brewers for three.

THE SKINNY: We tabbed them the “over” buy last week, and they delivered with five of them in six tries. And with those runs have come wins ... tons of them.

The panic in Boston that gripped Red Sox Nation in the early going has now been replaced by confidence. The first-place Red Sox embarrassed the Blue Jays over the weekend, and walked out of Toronto, having scored 30 runs in the final two games of the set.

But the pitching has been there, too, as all six of last week’s wins came from the starting staff, including two by Jon Lester and three over the Yankees. The numbers are about where most people thought Boston would be in mid-June, it just took a little longer for them to get there.

Lester has nine wins, and Josh Beckett has five. David Ortiz has 17 home runs, Adrian Gonzalez has 22 doubles and 60 RBIs, and Jacoby Ellsbury has 24 steals and 46 runs scored. It all adds to up to, perhaps, the most complete team in baseball. And if you can handle the prices, you might want to jump on this train and see where it takes you.

COLD TEAM: Cleveland Indians

THIS SEASON: 34-29
                LAST WEEK: 1-5

THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE: At the Yankees for one, at the Tigers for three, home to the Pirates for three.

THE SKINNY: It certainly was a good story while it lasted. The budget-crunched Indians breathed some much-needed life into the Cleveland sports scene and were the talk of baseball, as they raced to first place in the American League Central. But that’s why they play 162 games.

Thanks to some difficult scheduling -- and some injuries, as well -- Cleveland has returned to reality. The Indians, who lost the first three of a four-game set with the Yankees, entered Monday’s game vs. New York in a tie for first with resurgent Detroit.

Cleveland finished Sunday’s action with a 2-9 record this month and has been shut out three times in that span. The offensive numbers are still good for the likes of Asdrubal Cabrera (.302 average, nine steals, 12 homers, 42 RBIs) and Michael Brantley (.286 average, 27 RBIs, eight steals), but the injuries to Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner have slowed things a bit.

And then, there’s the pitching. In the first three games vs. the Yankees, Cleveland allowed 24 runs. Ouch. Listen, once the Indians return to complete health, they’ll be a quality “over” team moving forward. But contending for a division title -- and wins for you at the window -- might be another story, long term.

OVER TEAM: Los Angeles Dodgers

O/U THIS SEASON: 35-27-5
                O/U LAST WEEK: 4-2-1

THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE: Home to the Reds for three, home to the Astros for three.

THE SKINNY: You wouldn’t think these guys would ever land in this real-estate district, what with Rod Barajas and Aaron Miles batting in pivotal spots on a consistent basis, and a decent starting pitcher taking the hill on most nights.

But the Dodgers have been getting it done for “over” players of late, and you might want to put them on your radar. In a four-game series that concluded Sunday vs. Colorado, the Dodgers pounded out 33 runs, and cashed four overs.

Of course, the pitching didn’t like Coors Field much either, allowing 30 runs in the same span. But it all adds up for the Dodgers, who have batters having great seasons like Matt Kemp (20 home runs, 56 RBIs and a .331 average) and Andre Ethier (.321 average, 32 RBIs and 31 runs scored), and others simply making do with their at-bats, like Barajas (eight home runs), and Miles (.301 average).

It might be be tough to keep up the same offensive production this week at home in pitcher’s-friendly Chavez Ravine. But the Reds have been known to give up some runs, so keep the Dodgers in mind as a cost-conscious “over” play for the foreseeable future.

UNDER TEAM: Washington Nationals

O/U THIS SEASON: 34-31-1.
                O/U LAST WEEK: 2-5.

THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE: Home to the Cardinals for three, home to the Orioles for three.

THE SKINNY: Shaky starting pitching, and some rare, big offensive nights in the early going kept the Nationals from landing here for a good, long while. But they seem to have found the mold we thought they’d be in, and that was helped last week with a nice, little visit to San Diego.

The Padres and Nationals combined for three of four unders at Petco Park, and Washington concluded the series with a 2-0 victory befitting of their makeup. Jordan Zimmermann, Todd Coffey and Drew Storen combined on a five-hitter, and Danny Espinosa hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the ninth.

Yep, that about sums up the tough-to-watch Nationals, who have received very little return on their investment for former Phillies slugger Jayson Werth (.236 average, 56 strikeouts).

The offense is what it is, it’s not going to change much. In fact, it’s scored just 11 runs in the previous six games leading up to Tuesday’s series opener vs. the Cardinals. So, if the pitching holds up, you may be looking at one of the best “under” plays of the season.

Comment

MLB

Tuesday, June 14

Tuesday's streaking and slumping starting pitchers

Streaking

Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers, (7-3, 2.89 ERA)

With Verlander loading up against a struggling Cleveland team on Tuesday, you could do better with your value on the board with Detroit set around -175, but the big flamethrower is pretty much a sure thing lately.

He has allowed just three earned runs over the last three starts while striking out 20 batters in 22 2/3 innings. Verlander struck out 10 Mariners and walked only one in his latest masterpiece, an eight-inning personal effort that pushed Detroit to a 4-1 victory.

Cole Hamels, Philadelphia Phillies, (8-2, 2.58 ERA)

If you’re looking for consistency, Hamels is your man. After giving up six runs over 2 2/3 innings in his first start of the year, the veteran lefty has been nothing short of dominant.

He has allowed more than three runs just once since that tough start and heads into Tuesday’s outing having given up only three runs over the last three starts. Hamels also walked just three batters over that span and is pegged as a big -215 favorite against Florida.

Slumping

James Shields, Tampa Bay Rays (5-4, 2.85 ERA)

Shields has just one win in his last five starts and owns a fat 6.50 ERA in his last three trips to the hill. Granted, it’s not all bad.

After he gave up four homers and eight earned runs over four innings in a loss to Seattle, the 6-foot-4 240-pounder rebounded to hold Angels off the board for seven innings. However, he then gave up three runs in the eighth to pick up his fourth loss of the season.

"I don't think I was getting tired,” Shields told reporters. "They weren't swinging at the off-speed stuff like I wanted them to, and they had some good at-bats that last inning. But for the most part, I felt like I pitched pretty well and kept us in the game. So I'll take that every five days."

Trevor Cahill, Oakland Athletics (6-4, 3.18 ERA)

Cahill was cruising along this year up until the end of May. Since then he has been getting hammered every time he toes the rubber.

Cahill owns a 8.27 ERA over his last three and is coming off his shortest out of the year – lasting only 2 2/3 innings after he gave up six earned runs on eight hits while throwing 74 pitches.

Oakland has lost each of Cahills last six starts and he has walked 14 batters in his last four outings.

Comment

MLB

Tuesday, June 14

MLB stat pack: Five underrated starting pitchers

We recently looked at five starting pitchers who have likely been pitching over their heads so far this season. This time, let's look at five starters who have underachieved and are likely to start pitching better.

Again, we will use advanced metrics called defense independent pitching statistics (DIPS) that have been developed in recent years to measure a pitcher's effectiveness on plays that do not involve fielders - home runs, walks, hit batters and strikeouts. The logic behind DIPS is that they reveal a pitcher's true ability because he has almost no control over what happens once the batter puts the ball in play.

Using Baseball Prospectus' SIERA (Skills Interactive Earned Run Average) and Fangraphs' xFIP (expected Fielding Independent Pitching), here is our five-man list:

Ryan Dempster, Chicago Cubs (+1.55 units)

Dempster, the Cubs' opening day starter, doesn't have numbers like a No. 1 as he is 5-5 with a 5.96 ERA through 14 starts. However, he has a 3.38 xFIP and a 3.66 SIERA, which show he has pitched much better than it looks at first glance.

One very strong indicator that Dempster is throwing well is that he is striking out 8.4 batters per nine innings, well over the major-league average of 7.0. He also has a very solid 2.6 strikeout/walk ratio.

Dempster hasn't had a whole lot of luck this season as opposing batters are hitting .336 against him on balls in play (BABIP), which is calculated by hits minus home runs divided by at-bats minus strikeouts minus home runs plus sacrifice flies (H-HR/AB-H-HR-SF). The major-league average BABIP is .291.

Furthermore, 16.7 percent of the fly balls hit off Dempster have been home runs, more than double the 6.9 HR/FB major-league average and the highest mark in the big leagues.

Dempster has been pitching well of late, though, as he has posted quality starts in six of his eight outings since the beginning of May. The Cubs have gone 6-2 in that span.

Chris Volstad, Florida Marlins (+0.10 units)

Volstad is 2-6 with a 5.51 ERA in 12 starts but hasn't been as bad he looks. He has a fine xFIP of 3.53 and his SIERA is 4.00.

A plus for Volstad has been good control and command as he is walking just 2.8 batters per nine innings and has a 2.4 strikeout/walk ratio. He has also had some bad luck when batters make contact with a .319 BABIP allowed and 9.7 HR/FB ratio.

Volstad has had quality starts three of the last four times he has taken the mound, though the Marlins are just 1-3 in that span.

Javier Vazquez, Florida Marlins (-1.09 units)

The Marlins gambled $7 million on a one-year free-agent contract that Vazquez would get back on track in a return to the National League after a disastrous 2010 with the New York Yankees. Instead, Vazquez's 7.09 ERA is the worst in the majors to go with a 3-6 record in 12 starts. He has posted just three quality starts.

Vazquez's 4.83 xFIP and 4.93 SIERA aren't great but they do suggest that he is due for at least some regression to the mean after pitching so poorly. He has also had some bad BABIP luck with a .321 mark.

While it may not be very scientific, the biggest reason to think Vazquez is due to start pitching better is that he could hardly pitch much worse. It's called the Law of Averages.

Fausto Carmona, Cleveland Indians (-3.20 units)

The 2007 season seems so long ago as Carmona has gone from winning 19 games that year to being 3-8 with a 5.71 ERA in 14 starts in 2011. The DIPS stats suggest Carmona should get better as he has a 3.89 xFIP and a 4.06 SIERA.

Though Carmona has not had a quality start in the last six turns through the rotation, he has walked just 2.7 batters a game. The sinkerballer has also had tough luck when he gets the ball up in the strike zone with a 12.0 HR/FB allowed.

Travis Wood, Cincinnati Reds (-3.14 units)

Wood has had a rough first full season in the major leagues, going 4-4 with a 5.38 ERA in 14 starts. His xFIP (4.23) and SIERA (4.54) suggest he has pitched somewhat better and the fact that he has reeled off six quality starts in his last eight games is encouraging.

Wood could use a visit from the BABIP fairy, though, as opponents are hitting .338 on balls in play.
                    ---

We're certainly not predicting a Cy Young Award for anyone in this quintet. However, the advanced metrics suggest these five would make good plays if the matchups and odds are favorable.

Be advised, though, that sabermetrics - the study of advanced baseball statistics - is more likely to identify pitchers ready to regress than improve. Thus, a bettor might want to consider treading a little more lightly on wagering on these pitchers than betting against the five in the previous story.

Comment

MLB

Tuesday, June 14

Hot lines: Tuesday's best MLB bets

Florida Marlins at Philadelphia Phillies (-215, 8)

When you’re the Philadelphia Phillies, you don’t have a lot to complain about.

They sit atop the NL East, boast what’s undeniably the most talented starting pitching staff in the majors and seem to be living up to their billing as one of the World Series favorites.

That doesn’t mean they’re satisfied, though. Philadelphia’s offense sits 17th in the league producing 4.05 runs per game with a .247 team batting average.

Nobody’s panicking just yet, but the club is definitely looking for a bit more pop from its bats and could be in the market to add another bopper before the deadline - if the price is right.

"We need for those guys to hit just like they always have," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said of his regular lineup. "We need for Jimmy [Rollins] and Vic [Shane Victorino] and [Raul] Ibanez and all those guys to be the same person they've been in the past. Or close to it."

Until that happens, we’ll keep riding the under – especially with Cole Hamels on the hill.

Pick: Under

Kansas City Royals at Oakland Athletics (-165, 7)

Kansas City’s young lefty Danny Duffy has come a long way in one short year.

Duffy is getting set to make his sixth big league start Tuesday, which is pretty remarkable considering he actually retired last season in spring training as a 21-year-old prospect who hadn’t pitched above Single-A ball.

He wasn’t away from the game long before getting back at it and making a surge in his development to break through with the Royals this year. He has some nasty movement and a heater that can get up to the mid-90s, but he’s still looking for his first big league win.

Duffy gave up a season-high five runs and eight hits over four innings in a loss to Toronto last week.

"I'm frustrated," he told reporters after the game. "I went out to do my job and I tried. I've got no regrets but I want nothing more than to win for these guys. My frustration is about that. I want to win for these guys."

With Trevor Cahill struggling for Oakland, we’ll take a flier on the kid at this price.

Pick: Royals

Comment

MLB
                        Long Sheet

Tuesday, June 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST LOUIS (38 - 29) at WASHINGTON (30 - 36) - 7:05 PM
                        JAIME GARCIA (L) vs. YUNESKY MAYA (R)
                        Top Trends for this game.
                        ST LOUIS is 123-105 (-18.6 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        ST LOUIS is 54-64 (-20.2 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
                        ST LOUIS is 121-104 (-19.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        ST LOUIS is 66-60 (-21.8 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.
                        GARCIA is 8-14 (-13.6 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

Head-to-Head Series History
                        ST LOUIS is 2-1 (+0.6 Units) against WASHINGTON this season
                        2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.0 Units)

JAIME GARCIA vs. WASHINGTON since 1997
                        GARCIA is 2-0 when starting against WASHINGTON with an ERA of 0.87 and a WHIP of 1.742.
                        His team's record is 2-0 (+2.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-1. (-0.2 units)

YUNESKY MAYA vs. ST LOUIS since 1997
                        No recent starts.

FLORIDA (32 - 33) at PHILADELPHIA (40 - 26) - 7:05 PM
                        CHRIS VOLSTAD (R) vs. COLE HAMELS (L)
                        PHILADELPHIA is 20-2 (+16.0 Units) against the money line as a home favorite of -200 to -225 over the last 2 seasons.
                        FLORIDA is 465-425 (+52.7 Units) against the money line when the total is 8 to 8.5 since 1997.
                        FLORIDA is 9-4 (+12.6 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +175 to +200 over the last 3 seasons.
                        FLORIDA is 17-11 (+8.7 Units) against the money line in road games this season.
                        FLORIDA is 38-31 (+13.6 Units) against the money line on the road when the total is 8 to 8.5 over the last 3 seasons.
                        FLORIDA is 48-35 (+22.9 Units) against the money line in road games against division opponents over the last 3 seasons.
                        FLORIDA is 17-11 (+8.7 Units) against the money line in road games in games played on a grass field this season.
                        FLORIDA is 14-5 (+12.0 Units) against the money line in road games in night games this season.
                        FLORIDA is 42-26 (+15.3 Units) against the money line against left-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
                        FLORIDA is 10-2 (+9.8 Units) against the money line in road games after a loss this season.
                        FLORIDA is 551-620 (+35.9 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record since 1997.
                        PHILADELPHIA is 7-12 (-9.3 Units) against the money line when the total is 8 to 8.5 this season.

PHILADELPHIA is 3-2 (+0.2 Units) against FLORIDA this season
                        3 of 5 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.8 Units)

CHRIS VOLSTAD vs. PHILADELPHIA since 1997
                        VOLSTAD is 2-3 when starting against PHILADELPHIA with an ERA of 4.44 and a WHIP of 1.463.
                        His team's record is 3-7 (-3.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 5-5. (-0.3 units)

COLE HAMELS vs. FLORIDA since 1997
                        HAMELS is 4-7 when starting against FLORIDA with an ERA of 3.65 and a WHIP of 1.168.
                        His team's record is 6-10 (-11.9 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 10-6. (+2.6 units)

NY METS (32 - 34) at ATLANTA (38 - 29) - 7:10 PM
                        JON NIESE (L) vs. JAIR JURRJENS (R)
                        JURRJENS is 16-5 (+10.7 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

NY METS is 3-3 (+0.9 Units) against ATLANTA this season
                        4 of 6 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+1.6 Units)

JON NIESE vs. ATLANTA since 1997
                        NIESE is 1-2 when starting against ATLANTA with an ERA of 2.88 and a WHIP of 1.631.
                        His team's record is 2-4 (-2.3 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-4. (-2.5 units)

JAIR JURRJENS vs. NY METS since 1997
                        JURRJENS is 8-3 when starting against NY METS with an ERA of 2.68 and a WHIP of 1.138.
                        His team's record is 8-4 (+3.6 units) in these starts. The OVER is 6-6. (-0.2 units)

PITTSBURGH (32 - 33) at HOUSTON (25 - 42) - 8:05 PM
                        JEFF KARSTENS (R) vs. BUD NORRIS (R)
                        PITTSBURGH is 34-79 (-23.1 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
                        PITTSBURGH is 34-79 (-23.1 Units) against the money line in road games in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        PITTSBURGH is 20-55 (-21.0 Units) against the money line in road games in night games over the last 2 seasons.
                        PITTSBURGH is 24-62 (-22.1 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
                        PITTSBURGH is 17-44 (-18.2 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.
                        HOUSTON is 58-52 (+18.2 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
                        PITTSBURGH is 11-7 (+9.2 Units) against the money line in road games against division opponents this season.
                        HOUSTON is 14-33 (-15.7 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
                        HOUSTON is 2-11 (-9.2 Units) against the money line in home games after a win this season.

PITTSBURGH is 2-1 (+1.0 Units) against HOUSTON this season
                        2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.8 Units)

JEFF KARSTENS vs. HOUSTON since 1997
                        KARSTENS is 1-2 when starting against HOUSTON with an ERA of 6.45 and a WHIP of 1.611.
                        His team's record is 1-3 (-1.9 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-3. (-3.3 units)

BUD NORRIS vs. PITTSBURGH since 1997
                        NORRIS is 2-3 when starting against PITTSBURGH with an ERA of 4.60 and a WHIP of 1.466.
                        His team's record is 2-3 (-1.1 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-3. (-1.5 units)

MILWAUKEE (38 - 29) at CHICAGO CUBS (26 - 39) - 8:05 PM
                        YOVANI GALLARDO (R) vs. RANDY WELLS (R)
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 26-39 (-14.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 13-19 (-9.7 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 9-21 (-14.7 Units) against the money line against division opponents this season.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 26-39 (-14.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 16-25 (-13.7 Units) against the money line in home games in night games over the last 2 seasons.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 17-31 (-14.9 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 4-12 (-14.0 Units) against the money line in home games after shutting out their opponent over the last 3 seasons.
                        CHICAGO CUBS are 6-19 (-14.3 Units) against the money line after a win this season.

CHICAGO CUBS is 2-2 (-0.1 Units) against MILWAUKEE this season
                        2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.1 Units, Under=-0.3 Units)

YOVANI GALLARDO vs. CHICAGO CUBS since 1997
                        GALLARDO is 3-1 when starting against CHICAGO CUBS with an ERA of 3.61 and a WHIP of 1.373.
                        His team's record is 6-2 (+4.3 units) in these starts. The OVER is 5-3. (+1.8 units)

RANDY WELLS vs. MILWAUKEE since 1997
                        WELLS is 2-2 when starting against MILWAUKEE with an ERA of 5.01 and a WHIP of 1.608.
                        His team's record is 3-3 (-0.5 units) in these starts. The OVER is 4-1. (+3.2 units)

SAN DIEGO (30 - 38) at COLORADO (31 - 35) - 8:40 PM
                        DUSTIN MOSELEY (R) vs. JUAN NICASIO (R)
                        There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

SAN DIEGO is 4-3 (+3.0 Units) against COLORADO this season
                        4 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.1 Units)

DUSTIN MOSELEY vs. COLORADO since 1997
                        MOSELEY is 0-1 when starting against COLORADO with an ERA of 9.00 and a WHIP of 2.111.
                        His team's record is 0-2 (-2.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-2. (-2.5 units)

JUAN NICASIO vs. SAN DIEGO since 1997
                        No recent starts.

SAN FRANCISCO (37 - 29) at ARIZONA (37 - 30) - 9:40 PM
                        MATT CAIN (R) vs. JOSH COLLMENTER (R)
                        ARIZONA is 37-30 (+10.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
                        ARIZONA is 37-30 (+10.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
                        ARIZONA is 26-20 (+8.0 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
                        ARIZONA is 28-21 (+9.7 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
                        ARIZONA is 18-9 (+11.3 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
                        SAN FRANCISCO is 140-104 (+27.3 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        SAN FRANCISCO is 67-58 (+13.2 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
                        SAN FRANCISCO is 139-102 (+28.4 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        SAN FRANCISCO is 25-14 (+9.9 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
                        SAN FRANCISCO is 164-132 (+25.5 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters over the last 3 seasons.
                        CAIN is 51-31 (+15.1 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        CAIN is 51-30 (+16.6 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        ARIZONA is 18-29 (-14.8 Units) against the money line at home with a money line of -100 to -125 over the last 3 seasons.

SAN FRANCISCO is 5-1 (+3.9 Units) against ARIZONA this season
                        5 of 6 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+4.0 Units)

MATT CAIN vs. ARIZONA since 1997
                        CAIN is 8-4 when starting against ARIZONA with an ERA of 3.14 and a WHIP of 1.119.
                        His team's record is 11-8 (+2.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 8-10. (-3.3 units)

JOSH COLLMENTER vs. SAN FRANCISCO since 1997
                        No recent starts.

CINCINNATI (35 - 33) at LA DODGERS (31 - 37) - 10:10 PM
                        JOHNNY CUETO (R) vs. CLAYTON KERSHAW (L)
                        CINCINNATI is 127-107 (+8.7 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        CINCINNATI is 544-625 (+52.1 Units) against the money line in road games since 1997.
                        CINCINNATI is 127-107 (+8.7 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        CINCINNATI is 139-122 (+19.3 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 3 seasons.
                        CINCINNATI is 272-284 (+52.8 Units) against the money line in road games after a win since 1997.
                        CINCINNATI is 77-47 (+16.0 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.
                        LA DODGERS are 113-119 (-17.7 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        LA DODGERS are 113-119 (-17.7 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        KERSHAW is 26-32 (-19.5 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 3 seasons. (Team's Record)

LA DODGERS is 2-2 (+0.1 Units) against CINCINNATI this season
                        3 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.8 Units)

JOHNNY CUETO vs. LA DODGERS since 1997
                        CUETO is 0-3 when starting against LA DODGERS with an ERA of 4.50 and a WHIP of 1.455.
                        His team's record is 0-4 (-4.3 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-2. (-0.2 units)

CLAYTON KERSHAW vs. CINCINNATI since 1997
                        KERSHAW is 1-1 when starting against CINCINNATI with an ERA of 3.86 and a WHIP of 1.143.
                        His team's record is 3-1 (+1.6 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-2. (-1.3 units)

TEXAS (36 - 31) at NY YANKEES (36 - 28) - 7:05 PM
                        ALEXI OGANDO (R) vs. C.C. SABATHIA (L)
                        TEXAS is 26-16 (+13.1 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +100 to +125 over the last 2 seasons.
                        TEXAS is 13-7 (+10.2 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +125 to +150 over the last 2 seasons.
                        NY YANKEES are 19-25 (-15.3 Units) against the money line in night games this season.

NY YANKEES is 4-2 (+1.6 Units) against TEXAS this season
                        3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.0 Units, Under=-0.6 Units)

ALEXI OGANDO vs. NY YANKEES since 1997
                        OGANDO is 0-0 when starting against NY YANKEES with an ERA of 7.11 and a WHIP of 1.106.
                        His team's record is 0-1 (-1.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-0. (+1.1 units)

C.C. SABATHIA vs. TEXAS since 1997
                        SABATHIA is 10-3 when starting against TEXAS with an ERA of 4.57 and a WHIP of 1.495.
                        His team's record is 13-5 (+5.8 units) in these starts. The OVER is 13-5. (+7.7 units)

CLEVELAND (35 - 29) at DETROIT (36 - 30) - 7:05 PM
                        JUSTIN MASTERSON (R) vs. JUSTIN VERLANDER (R)
                        DETROIT is 72-43 (+19.7 Units) against the money line in home games over the last 2 seasons.
                        DETROIT is 72-43 (+19.7 Units) against the money line in home games in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        DETROIT is 45-21 (+18.7 Units) against the money line in home games after a win over the last 2 seasons.
                        DETROIT is 61-38 (+18.6 Units) against the money line in home games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 3 seasons.
                        VERLANDER is 31-9 (+16.3 Units) against the money line in home games over the last 3 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        VERLANDER is 31-9 (+16.3 Units) against the money line in home games in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        CLEVELAND is 35-29 (+10.2 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
                        CLEVELAND is 32-26 (+9.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
                        CLEVELAND is 25-17 (+9.8 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
                        CLEVELAND is 26-20 (+8.4 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
                        CLEVELAND is 22-12 (+11.4 Units) against the money line after a win this season.

CLEVELAND is 3-0 (+3.1 Units) against DETROIT this season
                        2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+0.9 Units)

JUSTIN MASTERSON vs. DETROIT since 1997
                        MASTERSON is 0-2 when starting against DETROIT with an ERA of 6.26 and a WHIP of 1.696.
                        His team's record is 1-3 (-2.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-3. (-2.6 units)

JUSTIN VERLANDER vs. CLEVELAND since 1997
                        VERLANDER is 10-11 when starting against CLEVELAND with an ERA of 5.11 and a WHIP of 1.338.
                        His team's record is 11-13 (-5.3 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 9-15. (-8.6 units)

BALTIMORE (30 - 33) at TORONTO (32 - 34) - 7:07 PM
                        CHRIS JAKUBAUSKAS (R) vs. CARLOS VILLANUEVA (R)
                        TORONTO is 117-112 (+11.5 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        TORONTO is 55-43 (+18.6 Units) against the money line when the total is 9 to 9.5 over the last 2 seasons.
                        TORONTO is 294-207 (+53.1 Units) against the money line at home when the total is 9 to 9.5 since 1997.
                        TORONTO is 17-7 (+13.6 Units) against the money line when playing with a day off over the last 2 seasons.
                        TORONTO is 23-16 (+8.8 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
                        TORONTO is 94-82 (+15.7 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
                        TORONTO is 58-52 (+11.9 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
                        TORONTO is 16-7 (+10.8 Units) against the money line after 3 or more consecutive losses over the last 2 seasons.
                        BALTIMORE is 20-9 (+11.3 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.

TORONTO is 2-1 (+1.3 Units) against BALTIMORE this season
                        2 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+2.0 Units)

CHRIS JAKUBAUSKAS vs. TORONTO since 1997
                        No recent starts.

CARLOS VILLANUEVA vs. BALTIMORE since 1997
                        VILLANUEVA is 1-0 when starting against BALTIMORE with an ERA of 3.38 and a WHIP of 1.313.
                        His team's record is 1-0 (+1.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-0. (+1.0 units)

BOSTON (39 - 26) at TAMPA BAY (35 - 31) - 7:10 PM
                        TIM WAKEFIELD (R) vs. JAMES SHIELDS (R)
                        BOSTON is 55-54 (-16.1 Units) against the money line when the total is 9 to 9.5 over the last 2 seasons.
                        WAKEFIELD is 69-79 (-22.4 Units) against the money line when the total is 9 to 9.5 since 1997. (Team's Record)
                        TAMPA BAY is 407-511 (+17.7 Units) against the money line against division opponents since 1997.
                        TAMPA BAY is 259-279 (+23.3 Units) against the money line in home games when playing against a team with a winning record since 1997.
                        BOSTON is 16-7 (+10.8 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +100 to +125 over the last 2 seasons.
                        BOSTON is 28-11 (+13.0 Units) against the money line after a win this season.
                        BOSTON is 23-5 (+16.3 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
                        TAMPA BAY is 70-58 (-18.4 Units) against the money line in games played on artificial turf over the last 2 seasons.
                        SHIELDS is 20-22 (-17.4 Units) against the money line in games played in a dome over the last 3 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        SHIELDS is 8-15 (-12.0 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

TAMPA BAY is 2-0 (+3.1 Units) against BOSTON this season
                        1 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.2 Units, Under=-0.2 Units)

TIM WAKEFIELD vs. TAMPA BAY since 1997
                        WAKEFIELD is 19-7 when starting against TAMPA BAY with an ERA of 4.03 and a WHIP of 1.271.
                        His team's record is 22-13 (+3.3 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 16-17. (-2.8 units)

JAMES SHIELDS vs. BOSTON since 1997
                        SHIELDS is 5-11 when starting against BOSTON with an ERA of 4.96 and a WHIP of 1.367.
                        His team's record is 5-13 (-8.8 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 11-6. (+3.9 units)

CHI WHITE SOX (33 - 35) at MINNESOTA (26 - 39) - 8:10 PM
                        GAVIN FLOYD (R) vs. CARL PAVANO (R)
                        CHI WHITE SOX are 39-50 (-20.3 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
                        FLOYD is 3-11 (-10.1 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        MINNESOTA is 58-35 (+16.5 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
                        PAVANO is 140-117 (+24.8 Units) against the money line in all games since 1997. (Team's Record)
                        PAVANO is 70-43 (+27.8 Units) against the money line against division opponents since 1997. (Team's Record)
                        CHI WHITE SOX are 60-56 (+13.5 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
                        CHI WHITE SOX are 54-46 (+15.6 Units) against the money line in road games in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        CHI WHITE SOX are 50-42 (+15.0 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.

MINNESOTA is 2-0 (+2.8 Units) against CHI WHITE SOX this season
                        2 of 2 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+2.0 Units)

GAVIN FLOYD vs. MINNESOTA since 1997
                        FLOYD is 4-8 when starting against MINNESOTA with an ERA of 5.27 and a WHIP of 1.500.
                        His team's record is 4-9 (-5.1 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 5-8. (-4.0 units)

CARL PAVANO vs. CHI WHITE SOX since 1997
                        PAVANO is 6-3 when starting against CHI WHITE SOX with an ERA of 3.94 and a WHIP of 1.168.
                        His team's record is 6-3 (+2.6 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 5-4. (+0.6 units)

KANSAS CITY (29 - 37) at OAKLAND (28 - 39) - 10:05 PM
                        DANNY DUFFY (L) vs. TREVOR CAHILL (R)
                        OAKLAND is 28-39 (-15.5 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
                        OAKLAND is 27-37 (-14.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
                        OAKLAND is 15-26 (-13.7 Units) against the money line in night games this season.

OAKLAND is 2-1 (+0.9 Units) against KANSAS CITY this season
                        3 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+3.0 Units)

DANNY DUFFY vs. OAKLAND since 1997
                        No recent starts.

TREVOR CAHILL vs. KANSAS CITY since 1997
                        CAHILL is 3-1 when starting against KANSAS CITY with an ERA of 4.55 and a WHIP of 1.326.
                        His team's record is 4-1 (+2.6 units) in these starts. The OVER is 4-1. (+2.9 units)

LA ANGELS (32 - 36) at SEATTLE (34 - 33) - 10:10 PM
                        JERED WEAVER (R) vs. DOUG FISTER (R)
                        LA ANGELS are 28-35 (-12.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
                        LA ANGELS are 72-88 (-27.1 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
                        LA ANGELS are 12-19 (-10.6 Units) against the money line after a win this season.
                        SEATTLE is 24-12 (+12.1 Units) against the money line when the total is 7 or less this season.
                        SEATTLE is 29-21 (+10.1 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
                        LA ANGELS are 599-587 (+69.8 Units) against the money line in road games since 1997.
                        LA ANGELS are 584-576 (+45.8 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record since 1997.
                        SEATTLE is 96-133 (-33.4 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        SEATTLE is 25-48 (-22.0 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
                        SEATTLE is 93-127 (-32.2 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
                        SEATTLE is 50-83 (-30.8 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
                        SEATTLE is 36-55 (-22.8 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.
                        FISTER is 13-28 (-13.2 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        FISTER is 12-27 (-13.8 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
                        FISTER is 9-22 (-12.5 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

SEATTLE is 2-1 (+1.7 Units) against LA ANGELS this season
                        2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+1.0 Units)

JERED WEAVER vs. SEATTLE since 1997
                        WEAVER is 10-4 when starting against SEATTLE with an ERA of 3.70 and a WHIP of 1.257.
                        His team's record is 13-6 (+6.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 11-5. (+5.7 units)

DOUG FISTER vs. LA ANGELS since 1997
                        FISTER is 1-1 when starting against LA ANGELS with an ERA of 3.54 and a WHIP of 1.321.
                        His team's record is 2-2 (+0.3 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-3. (-2.3 units)

Comment

MLB
                          Short Sheet

Tuesday, June 14

National League

ST LOUIS at WASHINGTON, 7:05 PM ET

GARCIA: ST LOUIS 16-5 OVER on the road when the total is 7 to 8.5
                          MAYA: WASHINGTON 8-2 after scoring 4 runs or less 4 straight games

FLORIDA at PHILADELPHIA, 7:05 PM ET
                          VOLSTAD: FLORIDA 10-2 in road games after a loss
                          HAMELS: PHILADELPHIA 7-12 when the total is 8 to 8.5

NY METS at ATLANTA, 7:10 PM ET
                          NIESE: NY METS 10-1 OVER as a road underdog of +100 to +150
                          JURRJENS: 10-0 TSR as a home favorite of -125 to -175

PITTSBURGH at HOUSTON, 8:05 PM ET
                          KARSTENS: PITTSBURGH 15-37 after allowing 2 runs or less
                          NORRIS: HOUSTON 20-14 after 6 or more consecutive home games

MILWAUKEE at CHICAGO CUBS, 8:05 PM ET
                          GALLARDO: MILWAUKEE 21-7 as a favorite of -125 to -175
                          WELLS: CHICAGO CUBS 11-20 in home games after allowing 1 run or less

SAN DIEGO at COLORADO, 8:40 PM ET
                          MOSELEY: SAN DIEGO 14-29 in night games
                          NICASIO: COLORADO 9-17 after 2 or more consecutive home games

SAN FRANCISCO at ARIZONA, 9:40 PM ET
                          CAIN: 51-31 TSR in all games
                          COLLMENTER: ARIZONA 3-12 in home games after scoring 9 runs or more

CINCINNATI at LA DODGERS, 10:10 PM ET
                          CUETO: CINCINNATI 44-29 after allowing 4 runs or less 3 straight games
                          KERSHAW: LA DODGERS 28-18 OVER against right-handed starters

American League

TEXAS at NY YANKEES, 7:05 PM ET

OGANDO: TEXAS 13-7 as a road underdog of +125 to +150
                          SABATHIA: NY YANKEES 19-25 in night games

CLEVELAND at DETROIT, 7:05 PM ET
                          MASTERSON: CLEVELAND 22-40 after 2 straight games where they committed no errors
                          VERLANDER: 16-2 TSR as a favorite of -150 or more

BALTIMORE at TORONTO, 7:07 PM ET
                          JAKUBAUSKAS: BALTIMORE 13-37 after allowing 9 runs or more
                          VILLANUEVA: TORONTO 17-7 when playing with a day off

BOSTON at TAMPA BAY, 7:10 PM ET
                          WAKEFIELD: BOSTON 7-1 as an underdog of +100 to +150
                          SHIELDS: TAMPA BAY 4-12 in home games after scoring 1 run or less

CHI WHITE SOX at MINNESOTA, 8:10 PM ET
                          FLOYD: 3-11 TSR against division opponents
                          PAVANO: 70-43 TSR against division opponents

KANSAS CITY at OAKLAND, 10:05 PM ET
                          DUFFY: KANSAS CITY 27-61 after allowing 2 runs or less
                          CAHILL: 12-3 UNDER at home when the total is 7.5 or less

LA ANGELS at SEATTLE, 10:10 PM ET
                          WEAVER: SEATTLE 25-48 against division opponents
                          FISTER: 9-22 TSR after a loss

** (TC) Denotes Time Change

Comment

Working...
                          X