Big play on Play-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big play on Play-In

It's easy to look at Alabama State's 17-17 record and deceptively low RPI and dismiss them as a throwaway team that got lucky and won a third-tier conference tourney.

It's important to note, though, that they were picked to finish 2nd in the SWAC in both preseason polls that I hung onto, and that of the 5 starters (all healthy), 3 of them missed 10 or more games. In January, they finally had their core guys healthy and playing together, and in their final 12 games, they went 11-1, easily taking care of every team in their conference.

UTSA has a better record, and a stronger RPI (by about 60 spots), but the Southland conference lacked any strong teams (nobody had fewer than 6 conference losses).

Alabama St. won the SWAC tourney as the best team, and UTSA won the Southland because somebody had to -- one team has played unbeatable ball for the last month, while the other team went 1-5 in their final 6 conference road games.

Playing in Dayton is no advantage to either side, but UTSA is clearly weaker away from home, and Alabama St. looks like they could have been a 17-2 sort of conference team if the group they have now had been healthy early.

UTSA has a huge star in point guard Devin Gibson, who leads the team in both scoring and rebounding, while Alabama State's team stats reveal a much more balanced approach. Butler and Washington are both strong defenders at the guard position for Alabama State, who used a stifling defense to give up just 57pts/game in their conference tourney sweep, and I think they can mitigate the damage from Gibson.

Alabama State PLUS 3 large

Good luck all.

good luck with Bama State!

Comment

Like it TT

Good Luck

Comment

It's a wonder how Alabama State won 17 games!!!!

Down 15 in the 1H!

Comment

Slappy...make that 18 and counting
          Quitters Never Win, Winners Will NEVER Quit

Comment

what the fck is wrong with you jerk offs ?? stay out of the thread if u wana be an asshole... doesnt look to me like either of you morons ever contribute winners to this site...

Comment

How are we bashing him or the pick?? We specifically are wondering how they won 17 games down 23. I took them and will lose money, on my own account. Truckee had no gun to my head
              Quitters Never Win, Winners Will NEVER Quit

Comment

Working...
              X