3* 3-1 +5.7 units
    2* 4-5 -3.0 units
    1* 23-19 +1.85 units
    NFL/CFB Combined 67-55 +7.55 units
    4* 1-2 -4.8 units
    3* 3-1 +5.7 units
    2* 4-5 -3.0 units
    1* 52-43 +4.45 units

I'm going to end 2010-11 in the black either way on my combined football despite mediocre results on my top plays. I have, however, hit four of my last five 3* and higher plays. I split last week on 3* in the playoffs, winning with Pittsburgh and losing with Chicago.

Many argue the Super Bowl is not the game to make a big bet as it is an isolated game and impossible to get an edge on. I STRONGLY disagree. Super Bowl lines are often just whacked. They are based on emotion with incredible overreaction to results of the previous two weeks. Last year's favoring of Indy over New Orleans (in retrospect, ridiculous) is proof of this. I am making this a 3* play because that's how I'm betting it as I believe adamantly the wrong team is favored here and the underdog will win.

3* Steelers +3 (-130)
    1) I consider Pittsburgh the most complete team in the NFL. While their defense gets all of the attention, they score a lot of points and have a tremendous RB in Mendenhall.
    2) GB has several top players who lack experience in big games (like cornerbacks Shields and Williams, LB Matthews and DT Raji). While they have been outstanding in the playoffs, many of Pittsburgh's key players are in their third Super Bowl. That has to count for something.
    3) GB finally found a RB late in the season but James Starks is a sixth round rookie.
    4) Both teams spit out big leads in the conference finals and had to fight to hold on. But GB was very shaky against a third string QB and might well have lost were it not for a critical interception and terrible play-calling by Mike Martz.
    5) I don't think Big Ben will quit like Cutler did.
    6) The key to my bet is THE LINE. I strongly urge buying this up to the full 3 points. If I'm wrong and GB wins by a field goal, I lose NOTHING. That gives me a strong feeling of confidence here. My worst case scenario has the Steelers losing a close game. I do not think either team will win by a wide margin as they are fairly even in talent. But my own personal line is Pitts -2 1/2. My buy-up gives me a play on a team I think will win straight up and gives me a full field goal of insurance.
    7) With the game on the line, who do you want to make the big call, calm and collected Tomlin or the perpetually-scrambing McCarthy?

This is a very interesting game. The two defensive coordinators, two old goats, are at the top of their games right now (Capers and LeBeau). The two quarterbacks are playing very well. I'll take the experience and the points and I'm backing it up with my own money.

I urge playing this now as I suspect the line will drop as we approach game day.

Opinion only:
    Under in this game (Two excellent defenses and brilliant coordinators)

Figured you for the Pack, but I hope you are correct.

BOL to you
    Questions, comments, complaints:
    [email protected]

Comment

woooooow Gris....after reading your thoughts on the Pack last week I was sure you'd be on them in the Bowl. You had me agreeing that they are nearly unstoppable inside or on a dome surface.

I thought the Pitt D looked a bit more vulnerable than usual the last couple games and their pass D is what doesnt really impress me. Their run D is world class but we all know that GB isnt going to be running it much.

I see Rodgers throwing it a ton and having some success.....

Comment

Best of luck Gris!

Comment

BOL...on other side. One question for you...wouldn't that same logic be true for Saints last year?? Lack of experience...?? I'm not certain how much actual SB history Saints players had...Brees didn't have any. Just a thought as I read your reasoning. Not trying to hijack your thread but I keep asking any & all, shouldn't Pitt be FAV if all the experience is a factor...means a lot to lines makers???? My gut says most will be on Pitt thinking they are getting GIFT of 2-3 pts...expecting PUB to hammer Pitt.

Good luck buddy.
          FUCK YOU, FUCK ME

Comment

Originally posted by aplous View Post
            woooooow Gris....after reading your thoughts on the Pack last week I was sure you'd be on them in the Bowl. You had me agreeing that they are nearly unstoppable inside or on a dome surface.

I thought the Pitt D looked a bit more vulnerable than usual the last couple games and their pass D is what doesnt really impress me. Their run D is world class but we all know that GB isnt going to be running it much.

I see Rodgers throwing it a ton and having some success.....
            I did say I planned on playing GB in the dome but I can't get past the sense that people are terribly under-rating Pittsburgh.

Here's another key:

Steelers are 9-1 ATS their last ten playoff games!!!

This is because they aren't a "pretty" team and the public consistently undervalues them in big games.

I do think the parity system worked this year and the two most deserving teams are there. I expect GB to play very well. I just think Pitts is a little better and the +3 is a huge lift in a tight game

Comment

Originally posted by vinnyvegas View Post
              BOL...on other side. One question for you...wouldn't that same logic be true for Saints last year?? Lack of experience...?? I'm not certain how much actual SB history Saints players had...Brees didn't have any. Just a thought as I read your reasoning. Not trying to hijack your thread but I keep asking any & all, shouldn't Pitt be FAV if all the experience is a factor...means a lot to lines makers???? My gut says most will be on Pitt thinking they are getting GIFT of 2-3 pts...expecting PUB to hammer Pitt.

Good luck buddy.
              You are right. New Orl had no big game experience. I do agre with you that Pittsburgh will be hammered and the number will go down.

Besides, betting the dog in the Super Bowl has won 7 of the last 9 years ATS.

Comment

would normally tail you,but with all due respect i just can't here.That 6th rd rookie could be the steal of draft,don't forget he sat out senior season with shoulder surgery.,and that dome factor really favors the pack.As far as experience i just look at last years saints.BOL to ya Gris

Comment

Working...
                X