Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wednesday's Trends and Indexes 5/19 (NBA, MLB, Misc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday's six-pack

Some guys who weren't NBA lottery picks who are productive players or better in the pro game.......
    -- Steve Nash, 15th pick, 1996 Phoenix
    -- Joe Dumars, 18th pick, 1985 Detroit
    -- Carlos Boozer, 35th pick, 2002 Cleveland
    -- Monta Ellis, 40th pick, 2005 Golden State
    -- Michael Redd, 43rd pick, 2000 Milwaukee
    -- Manu Ginobili, 57th pick, 1999 San Antonio

Wednesday's List of 13: Nobody asked me, but..........

13) Have to feel bad for (soon-to-be-ex) Cavaliers' coach Mike Brown; if we believe the rumor mill, and these rumors are very strong, then big part of why the Cavaliers seemed to fall in part in the playoffs is because of an affair between Delonte West and Lebron James' mom. Seriously.

12) I mean, these guys (coaches) make a million bucks a year and Brown is going to be fired because that happened; not like he could anything to stop it. Has to be hell of a lot of fun coaching in NBA. Constant drama.

11) Coaching in college can be wacky too; Nebraska is getting a new arena in downtown Lincoln, which may be bad news for coach Doc Sadler, who has to be looking at Oregon/Auburn/Virginia, all of whom fired their coach either shortly before/after getting a new arena. When donors give a ton of cash to help build an arena, they want to win, and the sooner the better.

10) I figure my life is pretty good when I look ahead to summer and one of my biggest decisions is going to be whether to switch back to DirecTV or stay with digital cable for football season. Nothing too pressing there, but I am leaning to getting DirecTV and watching the Rams' surge to the NFC West title on my couch. .

9) For the NFL though, its becoming an issue that fans would rather stay home and watch TV than to pay bigtime money and go to games. Owners have gotten way greedy trying to suck the last pennies out of fans, and it seems like a lot of fans are finally saying "No more." Jets and Jaguars are teams that probably won't sell out all their home games this season.

8) Any team that signs Shaquille O'Neal next year is stupid. He's done, especially for the ludicrous salary he makes.

7) Washington Wizards were big winners in NBA Draft Lottery Tuesday, so they'll get John Wall and Philly will probably grab Evan Turner from Ohio State. Nets were big losers, slipping to the third pick.

6) Lance Stephenson left Cincinnati for the NBA after one OK season at UC; hope he is working on his shooting-- he made 21.9% from 3-point arc last year, and the college arc is closer than the pro line. Thats terrible.

5) Zach Johnson is a really good golfer; he's had stretches of 278 and 184 consecutive holes on Tour without even a 3-putt, which made it shocking when he six-putted the 13th hole at TPC San Antonio last weekend.

4) Red Sox scored 35 runs in Daisuke Matsuzaka's first four starts, but split the four games, not a good omen for him or them.

3) Orioles are only big league team without a HR from a first baseman.

2) We never got this in last week but its a good note: Miguel Olivo of the Rockies went 5-5 with a walkoff HR in a game last week, making him just the third player in 42 years to do that (5-5 with a walkoff HR). Last time was Fred McGriff in 1996; Jim Northrup also did it, back in 1968. Olivo left Tuesday's game with what looked like a concussion after a horrendous head-first slide into second base.

1) Astros have a NY-Penn League team 10 miles from me, over in Troy; the big promotion this summer is Ben Zobrist Bobblehead Night July 12. Zobrist played for the Valley Cats in his first pro season. First 1,200 to the game that night get a bobblehead, one of their better promotions.

Comment

Len's Top 5

Happy Wednesday everyone, here's my Top 5 for May 19, 2010 from Len Berman.

1. Quick Hits
      The Washington Wizards win the #1 pick in the NBA draft lottery. Despite having the worst record in the league, the Nets will draft 3rd.
      NBA and NHL playoffs. Big two nothing leads now for the Celtics, Flyers and Blackhawks.
      Canadian doctor Anthony Galea has been charged in Buffalo with supplying unapproved drugs, including HGH, to NFL players. No names. The same doctor treated Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriguez.

2. The Lottery

The NBA draft lottery is aptly named. It's pot luck, both before and after.
      When the Knicks won the Patrick Ewing sweepstakes in 1985, Knick fans thought "championships, here we come." Never happened. Five years later, the Nets "won" Derrick Coleman. His best contribution to the Nets? His quote, "whoop-de-damn-do" when asked about a team crisis. Occasionally a champion surfaces with the top pick. That would be Shaq or Tim Duncan. But most of the time? It's a crap shoot. Lust like ...well... a lottery.

3. Just Another Night At The Ballpark

Is every Yankees/Red Sox game a Greek tragedy? Where to begin. Lets make the fans sit through a rain delay and slop and play a 4-hour game that ends early Wednesday morning. Along the way the Yankees protest the game over a Red Sox pitching change, former darling Joba Chamberlain gets booed at home, and Mariano Rivera gives up the big hit and gets tagged with the loss. In addition, the Yankees play shoddy defense, blow a 5-1 lead, and with their humongous payroll and the game on the line, all they have to send up to hit are Juan Miranda and Randy Winn. Yup. Just another Yankees/Red Sox game. Rest up people. The two teams don't meet again until August 6th.

4. Have a Seat

Here's a concept. Florida's star shortstop Hanley Ramirez was benched for not hustling after a ball in the field. Here's the play. Shades of Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin at Fenway Park in 1977. Kudos to Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez. As for Ramirez, he ripped his manager. What a guy. By the way if all managers benched the slackers, such as the home run admirers, there would be plenty of room on a major league roster for you and me.

5. Scoring

We're a month away from the start of the World Cup soccer tournament in South Africa. They polled English fans and asked what they would be willing to give to see England win the World Cup for the first time since 1966. A third said they would do the housework for a year. I'm assuming they asked men. 12% said they would give up sex for a year. Again, the assumption is that men were asked. And a majority of those polled, 51% would turn down sex with Cheryl Cole. According to Wikipedia, Cheryl Cole is an English singer, songwriter, actress, dancer, model, and television personality. Here's what she looks like.

Again, I'm assuming they asked men...but hey....

Happy Birthday: Boston Celtics star Kevin Garnett. 34.
      Bonus Birthday: Pete Townshend of The Who. 65.

Today in Sports: Somebody call Mark Twain. The first frog jumping contest is held in Calaveras County, California. 1928.
      Bonus Event: A proud moment for all of us who live on Long Island. Amy Fisher shoots Mary Jo Buttafuoco. 1992.

Comment

Working...
      X