My last big bowl play of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last big bowl play of the season

This bowl season has been very good to me, and tonight's Orange Bowl marks the last of my large plays. As a rectangle (slightly evolved square) who looks for tasty unders on the card each week, I have followed Iowa closely, and profited from what they are. What they are: a team with a solid enough defense to shut down most Big 10 squads, and so little offense that the defense comes to look better than they are.

I think Georgia Tech will lay a Nebraska-sized beating on the Hawkeyes, and I'll give you 5 good reasons why.

1. Ricky Stanzi -- Here are some amazing numbers to ponder regarding the Iowa QB, who threw 15 TDs and 14 INTs against a slate that included N. Iowa, Iowa State, and Ark. St.

November 7th: Last game Stanzi played
    October 31: Last game Stanzi won (threw 5 INTs)
    October 10: Last time Stanzi threw for more than 1 TD

I don't care how much time Iowa has to prepare for the option, there is no amount of time that can help you prepare for the fact that your quarterback sucks.

2. Weeks to prepare is really over-rated here. Yes, Ferentz had 4 weeks to simulate the option in practice and get his players ready, but you could really argue that Ohio State was the only good rushing team that Iowa squared off against all season. Result: they gave up 229 rushing yards.

3. Iowa has no offensive playmakers. They simply don't. They are a well-coached team, who has been good on 3rd downs, and good at scoring the 13-20 points needed to win (due to a strong defense). Yes, they have waged nice comebacks against Indiana and Northern Iowa, but tonight's game isn't going to be played against anybody that remotely resembles Indiana or Northern Iowa.

4. Good defense hasn't stopped Ga Tech. Against Va Tech and Clemson, GTech rushed for 309 and 333 yards respectively. Those games both stayed close because Va Tech had the firepower to score 23 and Clemson to score 34. If you think Iowa is going to hang with them in a shootout, I urge you to YouTube some Hawkeye season highlights: Iowa has exactly ONE rushing play of more than 30 yards this season.

5. Ricky Stanzi again. He is the worst QB to start for a major conference team in a bowl game, and I dare you to disagree with me about that tomorrow. If they get behind (and they will), his three-flies-up version of downfield passing is not going to work out well against an athletic GTech secondary.

Ga Tech -5 large. Good luck.

Very well stated, Good Luck to us tonight, on them as well!

Comment

Good luck
      jt4545

Fat Tuesday's - Home

Comment

Lets cash em Truckee, BOL to ya/us.
        Records listed in members records forum.

Comment

good luck tonight
          2010 One play a day record
          22-19-1 51%
          +0.74 units
          Passes: 7 days
          Streak: L2

Comment

good luck tonight, TT!

Comment

Nice write-up, T. Good luck

Comment

BOL !

Great points here. I see more people on Iowa than Tech which makes me like this even more.

Comment

It would be nice for me to say good luck in your thread.....so Good Luck I think its going to be a good game.
                  2013-2014.... NCAA 7-6

Comment

We're going to win this and you make many excellent points. I'll add that people are overreacting to the Georgia loss by Tech. That game was one week after they nailed down a BCS bid by winning the ACC Championship. Georgia, on the other hand, was playing to salvage a disappointing season by winning a rivalry matchup.

The Paul Johnson offense still in place at Navy was a romping winner one week ago and I don't think it's going to be stopped here with a superior GT team.

let's cash

Comment

GL with the Jackets tonight T...nice writeup!!!
                      SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Once again, good write up TruckeeT. I really like the Ga Tech team tonight. They may be one of the few ACC teams that actually shows up.

Good luck, and postem when you can

Comment

Stanzi didn't play in the two losses. Nice writeup other than that.
                          SEASON RECORDS AS OF 1/24/16

NFL
                          LW 2-0 +3
                          SEAS 64-40-3 +23.05

NBA
                          LW 1-2 -2.3
                          SEAS 17-16 +6.4

NHL
                          LW 8-3 +5.85
                          SEAS 20-14 +0.35

NCAAB
                          LW 1-7 -12.1
                          SEAS 16-20 -8.3

FINAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL RECORD FOR 2015-16

70-79 -49.45

Comment

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about every aspect of that game. Gtech was dreadful, Stanzi was perfectly competent, and my winning streak went down in flames early.

When it is said and done, I finish 5-1 in bowl picks posted here, and I will take that every bowl season til the end of time. Good luck to those playing the BCSC - I am abstaining and keeping my 5 out of 6 intact.

Good luck.

Comment

Good Job with the 5-1, the Big Ten came to play in this years bowl season, showed that they have the ' speed '... to stop the big offenses... gtech and oregon...

really like Texas tommorrow, expect a similar result
                              " So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.
                              .....All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X