X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st GOY 25* NCAAF 10/12 Saturday

HAWAII at Washington St. (4pm PDT)

Honolulu Advertiser -

The University of Hawai`i Warrior football team escaped with a 25-20 season-opening win over Central Arkansas Friday night at Aloha Stadium. Greg Alexander found Rodney Bradley in the back of the end zone for an 8-yard score with 1:22 left to lift UH to the victory.

UH won despite four turnovers, including a pair of critical fumbles—one that set up a UCA (0-1) score just two minutes into the game and another midway through the fourth quarter as UH looked to take the lead. But the Warriors hung tough, reeling off 17 unanswered points in the second and third quarters, scoring with just 82 seconds left in the game after trailing by a point, and recovering a fumble in the waning seconds to secure the win.

Alexander threw for 304 yards and tied a career-high with three touchdown tosses. The senior also rushed for a career-high 76 yards.

THIS IS WHY THIS IS A GAME OF THE YEAR.

My initial thoughts looking at week 2 lines and i see a ton of value. but the game i wanted to talk about was Wazzu vs. Hawaii. I see a big win for the cougs here, this game is being played at QWEST Field in Seattle. Every year the cougs have their annual game in Seattle at QWEST and it is always rocking. Cougar fans get real rowdy, and this will be a great environment to get their first W. This is probably the cougs second best opportunity to get a W this season behind Portland State, but look for the cougs to be heavily favored in that game.

After watching the cougars play Stanford on saturday it almost looks like +2 is a gift. If it wasn't for the cougs fumbling on the 1 yard line in the first quarter, one big bubble screen TD they gave up, plus a special teams mistake that led to a TD for standford. The score would of been much closer, possibly even a coug victory.

2nd year under new HC Paul Wulff and the cougs offense is begining to click. Look for Lopina to start the game and stay in unless he struggles(this was quoted by Wulff in Seattle Times today). In my opinion, Wulff taking Lopina out in the second quarter against Stanford to give Lobestael(sp)? a chance was a big momentum killer.

Although it was necessary i don't see this happening in Seattle this weekend. Look for the no huddle offense to keep Hawaii off balance, cougs will be looking to run on this weak hawaii D. The cougs have two really good running backs that no one has heard of, Dwight Tardy is a beast that has been plagued by injuries throughout his career there but is back at full strength. CAL transfer Montgomery looked very strong against Stanford in the run, look for this two headed beast to run all over hawaii, add in some no huddle play-action and things start looking even better.

Wazzu also hired a new S&C coach that has been getting rave reviews.The previous S&C coach wouldn't even go to the weight room to keep the players honest in their lifting. This year these guys look like they are caring about keeping their bodies in great shape, expect less injuries and a stronger faster cougar team this year.

Im looking for anyone with other opinions on this game to chime in at anytime, about either Hawaii or Cougs. I've seen a few here on the cougs already.

The real hero of the game, however, was junior wide receiver Greg Salas, whose winding catch-and-run eventually set up the game-winner. UH had the ball on its own 26-yard line trailing 20-19 with just 2:26 remaining in the game when Salas took an Alexander toss 66 yards down to the Bears 8-yard line. The Warriors would score three plays later. Salas finished with a team-high seven catches and a career-high 180 yards receiving and one touchdown reception.

The UH defense shut down on the Bears (0-1) for good when they recorded two sacks on the final possession. Corey Paredes took down UCA quarterback Robbie Park and forced a fumble that was recovered by Richard Torres in the final minute of the game.

LOCK AND LOAD
    356 25* Washington St. (+2.5)

I will update more thoughts as they come before the game.
    Last edited by PaperChaseN; 09-11-2009, 12:37 AM.
    2009 Record
    GOY: 2-0 (WON: 09/12/09, BYU HALFTIME -10)
    10*: 4-1 (WON: 09/19/09, Auburn -7.5)

SundayNightFootball:1-0 (WON: 09/14/09, Packers -4.5)
    MondayNightFootball:1-1 (WON: 09/15/09, Chargers OVER 43.5)

MMA/BOXING FIGHTS: 1-4

Hard to put up any argument for taking Hawaii. In fact I can't think of one. Agree with your reasons and rationale. BOL on your GOY.

Comment

I like it brother.. BOL.
      Go Browns!!

Comment

gl Paper

Comment

i like it. Gl

Comment

GL with the big one!!! I'm seeing alot of handicappers on this one, that's the only thing that scares me.

Comment

be careful something fishy going on with that game. line was down to 1 at one point and the sharps came dropping money on hawii and now the line is at 2 1/2. good luck with your play but that game is real fishy just like the army e.mich game last week!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy1464 View Post
                be careful something fishy going on with that game. line was down to 1 at one point and the sharps came dropping money on hawii and now the line is at 2 1/2. good luck with your play but that game is real fishy just like the army e.mich game last week!
                Thats because I've heard players for Wash St. has the flu bug

Comment

Originally posted by crazy1464 View Post
                  Line movement is a concern.... I saw -1.5 yesterday then a jump back up to -2.5 by the PM. Another thing that is screaming at me is that Hawaii shouldn't be a road favorite EVER. This fact alone is screaming TRAP at me. PAC-10 team catching points at home against a struggling mid-major team that historically doesn't travel well? Seems too good to be true.

Just my .02

Comment

to quote you........

UH won despite four turnovers, including a pair of critical fumbles—one that set up a UCA (0-1) score just two minutes into the game and another midway through the fourth quarter as UH looked to take the lead....

a team that loses 4 fumbles, gives away 2 TD's, and then manages, in the latter stages, tells me this is a team that can strike fast, and never give up.....

in simplicity, they had first game jitters, got over em, got that offense steam rolling in the end, and prevailed.......

kind of team to be scared of IMO...

Wa St is rated between 100-110 by my own power rating.....

Hawaii between 75-80....

Big difference here IMO, and the travel shouldn't be too big a factor, I also question Wa St's STARTERS.....THERE IS RUMORS OF FLU GOINMG Around.....

gutsy call for a GOY........I'll pull for ya, but I favor Hawaii here, I think Wa St is one of the 15 worst teams in FBS

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

I've been hearing a lot of talk about this game now. About how Hawaii is having to travel for a 3hr plane ride vs Wash St. having to take a 4hr bus ride to QWest Field in Seattle to play their "home" game. Also a lot of speculation that Washington St. starters have caught the flu. I am starting to agree that this game looks too good to be true because of the line movement all over the place and the right team not being favored.
                      2009 Record

Comment

Originally posted by PaperChaseN View Post
                        I've been hearing a lot of talk about this game now. About how Hawaii is having to travel for a 3hr plane ride vs Wash St. having to take a 4hr bus ride to QWest Field in Seattle to play their "home" game. Also a lot of speculation that Washington St. starters have caught the flu. I am starting to agree that this game looks too good to be true because of the line movement all over the place and the right team not being favored.
                        don't get talked out of it. hawaii STINKS. very rare wash st gets a winnable game. this is one of them.

Comment

Thanks for the PEP TALK molta02.
                          2009 Record

Comment

Gl!!!

Comment

Good Luck PC

Comment

Working...
                              X