• IM BETTOR (recap)

Pick to Win -- Twilight Zone and Edmund Ross Are Recalled
    Something about those Raiders...yeah, they stink

Courtesy of: I.M. Bettor

BOSTON HERALD
    I.M. BETTOR
    BY THE NUMBERSWEEK 9 WRAP
    Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2003

In a Friday column that was equal parts Twilight Zone and Edmund Ross- be patient- I somehow called for an Oakland Raider cover as a 3-point favorite at Detroit. A team that had failed to cover the number in any game in 2003, here I was asking them to make the number laying points on the road.

In the Twilight Zone episode, a (seemingly) lucky gambler could see into the future. But after a week or two cashing in winning tickets at the race track, he gets into his car only to see his death but minutes away in a fatal accident. Then there’s Edmund Ross, the Kansas Senator, who in 1868, voted not to convict President Andrew Johnson of impeachment and declared “When I cast my vote (against convicting Johnson), I looked into my open grave.” Which leads us to me, who, wrote on Friday, “I hate laying points on the road and hate betting into losing streaks.” I did both.

Yet I did both because I somehow envisioned Margues Tuiasosopo lighting a fire under the heretofore moribund Raiders attack. Playing about as many minutes as there are letters in his last name, Tuiasosopo left the game after injuring his knee, placing my $440 in the hands of Rick Mirer. Greener than the woods surrounding Central Vermont’s Lake Bomoseen on a July day, adding Mirer’s rust to Raiders special team miscues and the franchise’s endemic ability to commit stupid penalties spelled disaster and the loss of $440.

Looking at the movement that riled the numbers on Sunday morning, money poured in on the aforementioned Raiders along with the Chargers, Giants, Rams, Eagles, Ravens, Panthers and Vikings. Moving each game at least .5 (½) and as . As it’s done all season, late money spit out more losers than winners. And speaking of spitting out losers, that $440 setback on Sunday makes it three straight losing weeks and sends the bankroll into the negative column.

Entering Week Ten, while a 6-5 mark by the numbers spells one game over .500, in te game where you spend more to make less, the mutinous foot soldiers are stuck $370. When I next appear on Friday, with a negative figure staring at me, I will indeed be gambling as a hole deeper than what were in will be very hard to escape.
    the original "HuskerFan"
Working...
X