Santana's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santana's

Is Johan and Ervin brothers?? When Ervin was a rookie I thoughtI heard the Angel announcers say he was, but a friend told me he wasn't??
    MLB
    DOGS: 3-6
    1ST 5: 9-6-1
    FULL GM:15-9
    OV/UN: 10-5

Don't appear to be....

ARLINGTON, TEXAS – Ervin Santana still hadn't perfected his changeup when he decided to make an identity change.

Two years ago, the Angels' right-hander was named Johan. He was toiling at Class-A Rancho Cucamonga, and Minnesota Twins left-hander Johan Santana was on the cusp of major-league stardom. That's when the Angels' Santana decided the American League wasn't big enough for two Johan Santanas.

He changed his name.

"I just came up with Ervin," Santana said. "Ervin Santana, that sounds good."

From 2003 on, he worked under the new name and continued his rapid ascent to the major leagues. Now that he's here, sticking might prove the hard part. Santana has been either brilliant or awful in his first five starts filling in for injured starter Kelvim Escobar.

Twice, he has failed to make it out of the fifth inning, surrendering a combined 13 runs. Three times, he has worked at least into the seventh and given up one run or fewer.

Santana works frequently with Angels pitching coach Bud Black on keeping his pitches as low as possible in the strike zone. He considers that the key to his success. Manager Mike Scioscia said there are other elements as well. Santana tends to rear back and throw, relying on high-90s velocity and ignoring his other weapons.

"He's getting more comfortable with that," Scioscia said.

Comment

Thanks
      MLB
      DOGS: 3-6
      1ST 5: 9-6-1
      FULL GM:15-9
      OV/UN: 10-5

Comment

Working...
      X