Police: Shootings a murder-suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police: Shootings a murder-suicide

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Former NFL star Steve McNair was shot dead in his sleep last week by a 20-year-old girlfriend distraught about mounting financial problems and her belief that he was seeing someone else, police said Wednesday.

Investigators may never know why Kazemi shot McNair four times as he dozed on a sofa early Saturday before turning the gun on herself, Police Chief Ronal Serpas said.

But interviews with friends revealed that she was making payments on two cars, her rent was doubling and she suspected the married McNair was having a second affair with another young woman.

She told a friend on Friday that "My life is a ball of s--- and I should end it," Serpas said.

Police earlier had labeled McNair's death a homicide, but waited for further tests and the revelations about Kazemi's personal problems before concluding that she pulled the trigger in a condominium McNair rented with a friend.

McNair, 36, a quarterback for the Tennessee Titans most of his career, met Kazemi six months ago at a restaurant where she was a waitress and his family often ate. She seemed happy and eager to build a life with him, but something went wrong.

"We do know that she was clearly sending a message during the last five to seven days of her life that things were going bad quickly," Serpas said, though there was no indication she told anyone she planned to harm McNair.

Serpas said detectives learned that Kazemi recently found out about another young woman she thought McNair was romantically involved with and had even followed that woman home, though she did not confront her.

Serpas said police believe McNair was asleep when he was killed because there were no defensive wounds. After shooting McNair in the head, Kazemi apparently shot him twice in the chest before shooting him again in the head and then shooting herself. The gun was found underneath her.

She sat next to his body and tried to position herself to fall into his lap when she died. She did, but her body slid to the floor and ended up at McNair's feet, Serpas said. The gun was found underneath her.

Kazemi's family told reporters that the woman was so confident McNair was divorcing his wife of 12 years that she was preparing to sell her furniture and move in with him.

But associate Mike Mu, who has worked with McNair's charitable association for years, said McNair's wife, Mechelle McNair, "didn't know who this girl is." No records of divorce proceedings have surfaced.

Two days before the shooting, police stopped Kazemi driving the Cadillac Escalade sport utility vehicle that McNair had given her for her birthday in May.

According to an arrest affidavit, Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and alcohol on her breath. She refused a breath test and told an officer "she was not drunk, she was high." She was charged with DUI. McNair was with her but not charged. He later made her bail.

Serpas said that even though both her name and McNair's were on the Cadillac's title, she was apparently responsible for making payments. She was also making payments on another car after she couldn't sell it.

No shit huh

Comment

The one thing i have not heard answered during all of this, or even mentioned by someone else here is this. The bodies were discovered the next morning by someone who went in with a key and the police said they had been dead for hours.

Tell me this, if she shot him 4 times and herself once, that's 5 gun shots at 1-2 in the morning and nobody heard it or called the police? They live in a condo with people connected all around. Nobody in the bordering condo's heard any of that? One shot maybe, you blow that off or whatever. Five shots and nobody around was like WTF and called the cops? I have heard nothing about a silencer on the gun either. To me, that is one of the weirdest parts of this story.

Well, finding out McNair may have had a 2nd GF on the side was quite interesting too.

I know one thing. McNair is not the "Man" i thought he was.

Also, she had money problems? Seriously?? Was it that bad at 20 years old and why not ask steve to help you out? Fucken weird all the way around imo.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
        The one thing i have not heard answered during all of this, or even mentioned by someone else here is this. The bodies were discovered the next morning by someone who went in with a key and the police said they had been dead for hours.

Tell me this, if she shot him 4 times and herself once, that's 5 gun shots at 1-2 in the morning and nobody heard it or called the police? They live in a condo with people connected all around. Nobody in the bordering condo's heard any of that? One shot maybe, you blow that off or whatever. Five shots and nobody around was like WTF and called the cops? I have heard nothing about a silencer on the gun either. To me, that is one of the weirdest parts of this story.

Well, finding out McNair may have had a 2nd GF on the side was quite interesting too.

I know one thing. McNair is not the "Man" i thought he was.

Also, she had money problems? Seriously?? Was it that bad at 20 years old and why not ask steve to help you out? Fucken weird all the way around imo.
        I agree 5 shots and no one heard a thing

As for money problems why didn't she just ask Steve to help her out? And they said he bought her that Cadillac as a birthday present yet she was making the payments. That makes no sense either. Worst case scenario could have been she ended up without Steve and declares Bankruptcy. Instead she kills him and herself over stupid shit.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
          And they said he bought her that Cadillac as a birthday present yet she was making the payments. That makes no sense either. Worst case scenario could have been she ended up without Steve and declares Bankruptcy. Instead she kills him and herself over stupid shit.

I agree. The Escalade makes no sense either. I was just talking to the wife about that. If she was making payments, it wasn't a B-Day gift. Which is it???

None of it makes sense. You would think none of those problems would have caused someone to kill him and herself over it.

Comment

I agree! I wondered the same thing once the details were released that there were 5 gun shots. Not to mention At least one and maybe 2 bullets went through the wall into the neighboring townhouse. No one heard 5 shots?

Comment

I agree. The Escalade makes no sense either. I was just talking to the wife about that. If she was making payments, it wasn't a B-Day gift. Which is it???
              The Escalade does make sense. About 8 years ago I 'bought' my girlfriend a Jeep. I made the down payment with the understanding she makes the monthly payments. the Jeep and the loan was in my name. She didn't have any credit.

It's very possible a 5k down payment for a Escalade makes more sense than a 50k truck for a birthday gift. Especially, for a gift for someone you only know 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
                The Escalade does make sense. About 8 years ago I 'bought' my girlfriend a Jeep. I made the down payment with the understanding she makes the monthly payments. the Jeep and the loan was in my name. She didn't have any credit.

It's very possible a 5k down payment for a Escalade makes more sense than a 50k truck for a birthday gift. Especially, for a gift for someone you only know 6 months.
                But frank, if you were already paying on another car and your rent was about to double, and you knew your were in financial dissaray, wouldn't you tell him the down payment is great but you just can't afford it?

Your telling me that instead of doing that, she just accepted it and killed him after because of "Financial Problems?"

It just makes no sense. Also, that was great that you did that but he is Steve McNair, no offense but he could have paid for that with pocket change. This guy just left the league and supposedly still had millions. The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

Comment

But frank, if you were already paying on another car and your rent was about to double, and you knew your were in financial dissaray, wouldn't you tell him the down payment is great but you just can't afford it?

Your telling me that instead of doing that, she just accepted it and killed him after because of "Financial Problems?"

It just makes no sense. Also, that was great that you did that by he is Steve McNair, no offense but he could have paid for that with pocket change. This guy just left the league and supposedly still had millions. The whole thing just doesn't make sense.
                  There's no doubt that much of it makes no sense. The report said she was trying to sell her car. Why not trade it in towards the down payment?

IMO he had this girl snowed. Not that he deserved to die so tragically but he took advantage of a young girl. She just turned 20. At the same time it's apparent this girl has some deep psychological issues. The average 20 year old female, doesn't blow someone away in such a brutal way. After shooting McNair 3 times she puts the gun to his head and shoots again? There's something seriously wrong with that.

Comment

he could have paid for that with pocket change. This guy just left the league and supposedly still had millions. The whole thing just doesn't make sense.
                    Then again if he was 'cheating' on the girlfriend with another side piece of tail all these Escalades can start to become costly.

Comment

[QUOTE=wayne1218;1658317]Tell me this, if she shot him 4 times and herself once, that's 5 gun shots at 1-2 in the morning and nobody heard it or called the police? They live in a condo with people connected all around. Nobody in the bordering condo's heard any of that? One shot maybe, you blow that off or whatever. Five shots and nobody around was like WTF and called the cops? QUOTE]

Maybe someone did hear something and thought nothing about it because it was around the 4th of July when it happend. That's just my thought on your question.

Comment

Speaking of strange. Has anyone heard the 911 call?

Video - Video Central - FOX Sports on MSN

Robert Gaddy obviously knew it was McNair but refrained from saying it was McNair.

Comment

As I said in another post. It was just a matter of time before it was all going to come out. I said it's not top story news, but it's news. TMZ already has a photo of the two parasailing together. It was just a matter of time before it was all going to come out. I don't understand why he didn't just pay for the SUV outright? I mean, you would think he was paying all her bills?

Comment

The average 20 year old female, doesn't blow someone away in such a brutal way. After shooting McNair 3 times she puts the gun to his head and shoots again? There's something seriously wrong with that.
                            I saw where they said that before she shot herself, she positioned herself in hopes that when she shot, she would die in his lap. They said that's what happend, but after she shot herself she slid down and ended up at his feet. My guess is when she slid down her body then covered the gun.

Comment

There's no doubt that much of it makes no sense. The report said she was trying to sell her car. Why not trade it in towards the down payment?

IMO he had this girl snowed. Not that he deserved to die so tragically but he took advantage of a young girl. She just turned 20. At the same time it's apparent this girl has some deep psychological issues. The average 20 year old female, doesn't blow someone away in such a brutal way. After shooting McNair 3 times she puts the gun to his head and shoots again? There's something seriously wrong with that.

Yup, i agree frank.

Comment

Working...
                              X