Match Day 3-Confederations Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Day 3-Confederations Cup

Well, went 1-1 with the Brazil blowing a 2 goal lead to Egypt and Italy putting a nice whipping on the USA thanks to Guiseppe Rossi, an American born Italian playing for Italy with two brilliant goals...

I didn't bet on the other first round matches which were Spain beating New Zealand 5-0 and S.Africa drawing Iraq 0-0, I needed to watch a bit and get a feel for things....

Today, I am playing both games...odds from thegreek.com

10:00 a.m. EST
    Spain -2.5 (-103)-
    Spain is the #1 ranked team in the world and deservedly so IMO, they are simply better by a mile in every aspect than Iraq. However, Iraq will be well organized as former USA coach Bora Multinavic is now coaching them, but even so they simply do not have the man power or ability to keep Spain from blowing them out of the water...I look for goals early and often in this one and expect a 3-4 goal win for spain...

2:30 p.m. EST
    New Zealand +1.5 (-101)-
    New Zealand is fresh of a 5-0 beatdown from Spain and the S. Africans have to be disappointed by a 0-0 draw with Iraq in front of their home fans in the opening match of this tournament. However, I don't think New Zealand is as bad as Spain is good and they played Italy tough right before this tournament started. I don't expect them to win, but they can lose by 1 and you cash this ticket. Besides, S. Africa showed me nothing against Iraq and really don't have many offensive threats...I like this game to be a draw or a one goal match either way...

Tomorrow's games are Italy vs. Egypt and Brazil vs. USA
    early leans are Italy -1 and USA +1.5, but i will have write ups and plays tomorrow...good luck everyone...

Those goals by Rossi were kind of bullshit. They were nice, but the US played a man down almost the entire match on a completely bullshit red card at the start of the match. That's why I hate soccer. Talk about a ref deciding the outcome. And I really can't stand the Italian's. They acted like they won the world cup. Big deal. Donovon got hammered in the box and there was no call on the play. It wasn't even close.

Why don't they play it like hockey? If your player gets a red card and the other team scores, you should be allowed to go back to an 11 man team and the guy who received the red card is thrown out of the game. Dumb rule and the US had no chance.

GL with the plays....

KAZ
    [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

I can't completely agree with you Kaz, I am an American citizen born in Italy and the Italian National team is my favorite of all sports teams ( i guess i am biased a bit)

Even though the US was a man down and I agree a totally bullshit red card as was the US penatly kick, you can't take away from a great piece of skill by the kid...those goals were magic, a 30 yard bullet swerving away from the goalie and a one time pop of a volley? you have to appreciate that no matter the circumstance....

I agree with your points, but these have been the rules forever and they certainly aren't going to change. Clark should have had a yellow card, the US shouldn't have received a penalty kick on the altidore play (i thought he dove) and yeah, landon got hit in the mouth, but that wasn't in the box and accidental IMO....

Comment

Originally posted by jaunblaze6 View Post
        I can't completely agree with you Kaz, I am an American citizen born in Italy and the Italian National team is my favorite of all sports teams ( i guess i am biased a bit)

Even though the US was a man down and I agree a totally bullshit red card as was the US penatly kick, you can't take away from a great piece of skill by the kid...those goals were magic, a 30 yard bullet swerving away from the goalie and a one time pop of a volley? you have to appreciate that no matter the circumstance....

I agree with your points, but these have been the rules forever and they certainly aren't going to change. Clark should have had a yellow card, the US shouldn't have received a penalty kick on the altidore play (i thought he dove) and yeah, landon got hit in the mouth, but that wasn't in the box and accidental IMO....
        Not the one in the mouth, the one in the box where the guy came over Donovan's back and drove him to the ground. That was in their box and should have been another penalty kick.

And I'm sorry, but scoring two goals late in the match against a team playing 10 on 11, is not that great. The US was clearly whipped by that time. It's like playing 5 on 4 in basketball for an entire game and putting up 30 on the other team, most of it in the 2nd half. Big deal, they were clearly spent. And after the game the Italians were acting like they won the World Cup. I'd be embarrassed. They should have shook hands and walked off gracefully.

The Italian's are my least favorite soccer team. Now you'll probably hate me. But they do more flopping and more complaining than any team I've ever watched play the game. Another aspect of soccer that cheapens the sport. Too much flopping and diving on fantom hits.

JMO

KAZ
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
          Those goals by Rossi were kind of bullshit. They were nice, but the US played a man down almost the entire match on a completely bullshit red card at the start of the match. That's why I hate soccer. Talk about a ref deciding the outcome. And I really can't stand the Italian's. They acted like they won the world cup. Big deal. Donovon got hammered in the box and there was no call on the play. It wasn't even close.

Why don't they play it like hockey? If your player gets a red card and the other team scores, you should be allowed to go back to an 11 man team and the guy who received the red card is thrown out of the game. Dumb rule and the US had no chance.

GL with the plays....

KAZ
          i thought that was deserving of at least a yellow maybe not a red. the guy kinda blatently out of nowwhere kicked the dude in the knee, you cant do that . i thought rossis goals were ridiculous. he was like 35 yards out on the first one!!! Also it takes a lot to get a red card. I mean a red card is like a game misconduct in hockey. Just like nay other sports the refs can fuck up at any time!
          twitter: @JumpouttheJim

Comment

Lol, I don't hate you. I can appreciate your view point and it is childish to get angry because someone doesn't share/agree with what you say....(common on this site)

I do agree with you about playing down a man, but for me they were still two quality goals, it takes great skill to strike the ball the way he did on both goals even if the USA was playing with 7 men, but your point is understood...

Of course, I can't totally agree with the flopping aspect, but I know what you mean and there are certainly plenty of countries/club teams/players that do this regularly...I myself play/played center defense and would love the chance to "break" these type of players....I think the Portugese are by far the most dramatic when it comes to this in international soccer....

Anyway, good luck on your wagers

Comment

Lol, I don't hate you. I can appreciate your view point and it is childish to get angry because someone doesn't share/agree with what you say....(common on this site)

I do agree with you about playing down a man, but for me they were still two quality goals, it takes great skill to strike the ball the way he did on both goals even if the USA was playing with 7 men, but your point is understood...

Of course, I can't totally agree with the flopping aspect, but I know what you mean and there are certainly plenty of countries/club teams/players that do this regularly...I myself play/played center defense and would love the chance to "break" these type of players....I think the Portugese are by far the most dramatic when it comes to this in international soccer....

Anyway, good luck on your wagers
              Good luck to you too Jaun and thanks for understanding that's it's just an opinion. I like to discuss things and give my point of view. They weren't lame goals by any stretch and I guess if they didn't act so over the top afterwards, I might not have been so disgusted. But the US was clearly on their heels in the 2nd half. The hammer on Donovan in the box could have equaled things up, but they chose to not even make a call. That was BS imo....

i admit I don't watch enough soccer to know who the true floppers are. I just remember the few times I've seen Italy, they are always complaining to the refs and during that one World Cup, they flopped so many times on plays when the guy never touched the player. I got a bad taste I guess....

Good luck buddy.

KAZ
              [email protected]

Comment

I think the Portugese are by far the most dramatic when it comes to this in international soccer....
                Arent the Portugese Italians rival in soccer? Of course you would say that if you were Italian then right?

No but in all seriousness the phantom dives are a huge reason why North Americans dont like the game of soccer. However from what I have heard it is up to the refs to be fully aware of which countries/clubs/leagues/players are known for doing so and to officiate it accordingly....
                SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

not even close chado, I can't remember the last time we played portugal....I would say france or brazil are the biggest rivals....

Comment

not even close chado, I can't remember the last time we played portugal....I would say france or brazil are the biggest rivals....
                    Oh I see. It just seems that in general the Italians and Portugese dont like each other that much even if its not necessarily soccer..

Comment

Originally posted by Chado1 View Post
                      Oh I see. It just seems that in general the Italians and Portugese dont like each other that much even if its not necessarily soccer..
                      Just like American's not liking the useless Canadians....

KAZ
                      Last edited by KazDog; 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM.
                      [email protected]

Comment

It's just unfortunate that for 2 games in a row we weren't allowed to see what a full-sided American squad could do against the defending World Champions. Of course the dagger was watching a kid who grew up learning the game in New Jersey and readily admits that his dream is to build a house and live in San Diego celebrate like a 12-year old girl against his home country. The US needs a miracle tomorrow to stay alive in this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
                          Just like American's not liking the useless Canadians....

KAZ

Comment

Originally posted by ctt8410 View Post
                            It's just unfortunate that for 2 games in a row we weren't allowed to see what a full-sided American squad could do against the defending World Champions. Of course the dagger was watching a kid who grew up learning the game in New Jersey and readily admits that his dream is to build a house and live in San Diego celebrate like a 12-year old girl against his home country. The US needs a miracle tomorrow to stay alive in this thing.
                            amen!!! he should have to live in italy if he wants to play for them!
                            twitter: @JumpouttheJim

Comment

rossi and his father moved to italy when he was 13....FYI, his mother and sister still live in the states

Comment

Working...
                              X