• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedge Help

Posted these last Thursday before the Finals started:

1 unit a piece:

Lakers win 4-1 (+635)
    Title won on Home court : NO (+153)

This play now boils down to 2 units to win 7.9 units on the Lakers on Sunday.....

Line stands at Orlando ML (-150).

Any input on the best way to hedge this is appreciated.
    "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Why hedge? You bet it because that is what you thought would happen right? You are all set up to cash those tickets so why go give some money back? You are a gambler right? Gamble ........

Comment

I had 5 units on the Penguins to Win the Series too at a nice + number. I never thought once of hedging last night. I thought of one thing ... GO PENGUINS!

Comment

You're right, they are just a unit, but I always feel stupid when I have a sure fire shot at getting money and I pass it up. Especially when the odds are basically +400 one way, and -150 the other way.

Thanks for the input wayne.

Comment

Alot of people like hedging. I guess you guarantee a slight profit that way but i hate giving some back if what i think is gonna happen, happens. I don't think i have ever hedged once in my life. It's all or nothing for me!

GL either way!

Comment

I agree 100 percent with Wayne all in

Comment

Mavs-It depends on your own personality and risk tolerance;I almost always hedge in situations like this or for example if I have all sides in on a multiple parlay with one piece remaining which hasn't started yet.
              In this case if I were in your shoes, I would bet 1-1 1/2 units or Orlando in the next game-if you win, you still have a nice profit, if you lose, then just sit back and hope they win one of two in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota05 View Post
                I agree 100 percent with Wayne all in
                Haha, with you, it's always all in on these things.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
                  Mavs-It depends on your own personality and risk tolerance;I almost always hedge in situations like this or for example if I have all sides in on a multiple parlay with one piece remaining which hasn't started yet.
                  In this case if I were in your shoes, I would bet 1-1 1/2 units or Orlando in the next game-if you win, you still have a nice profit, if you lose, then just sit back and hope they win one of two in LA.
                  Not sure what you mean on this last part Savage.

Not worried about LA winning the series.

Comment

ps I always hedge in the stock market also-same thing.
                    Just recently I purchased 20000 shares of a stock at around $.08.
                    In the last few days the stock went to $.16.
                    Without even batting an eyelash, I sold 25% of the shares at $.16.
                    Sure the stock might go higher but it might go lower also;my philosophy after leaning the hard way is that one should always take an ensured profit when he has the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                      Not sure what you mean on this last part Savage.

Not worried about LA winning the series.
                      The point is that if you bet the 1 to 1 1/2 units on Orlando on Saturday and they win, you win and in this case cover a good part of what you bet on the Lakers for the two props.
                      If you lose(meaning the Lakers win the game) you win the two props minus the 1 -1 1/2 units(I think I understand your bet).

Comment

Please disregard last sentence of post 7.

Comment

I got ya' Savage.

If i do hedge it I would think 3 units to win 2 on Orlando. Then I'm freerolling.

Or 6 to win 4 on Orlando and then I am +2 units no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                            I got ya' Savage.

If i do hedge it I would think 3 units to win 2 on Orlando. Then I'm freerolling.

Or 6 to win 4 on Orlando and then I am +2 units no matter what.
                            3 to win 2 is the safest and most conservative way;you can't lose that way anyways.
                            It comes down to 1) how confident you are that Lakers win win game 5) and how much you care about your original 2 unit investment.

Comment

Mavs, If you can hedge it so that you are guaranteed a
                              profit either way that is what I would do first otherwise
                              I would try to hedge enough just to cover my original
                              wager.. Good Luck!!

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
                              When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
                              Jon E. Checkers

Comment

Working...
                              X