Odds of hitting a teaser bet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odds of hitting a teaser bet.

Teasers are bad plays from a statistical view, while 3 team parlays are the best play over time.

I did a study some time ago, and found that NFL teaser plays were much better than college, in terms of long term payout.

This study also showed the much greater standard deviation (a measure of unpredictable volatility) in college scores compared to NFL scores, as the reason why NFL teasers were better than college.

However, even NFL teaser plays were not as good as straight side bets, and side bets were not as good as 2 team parlays, and two team parlays were not as good as 3 team parlays.

This assumes that your average pick has a 57% or better chance of covering as a side bet. If your average bet is a 53% one, then side plays are best.
    sigpic

The bottom line is that all teasers are truly terrible betting propositions in all sports over time, and as yet I have not seen anyone who can prove to me that he can show a consistent winning percentage;I myself occasionally break down when I am doing good in straight bets and will play one for about 1/2 a unit;that is all it is worth.

Comment

I agree Savage. Myself back three years ago, I use to do teaser all the time.

guess what I lost money over the football season. For the least two years I have only been betting straight line bets and I'm in the plus side.

Your odds of hitting one game is a hundred times better then hitting three teams with a 10 point line movement. I also found that one team out of the three would always FUCK me over. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire
      1 of 1 Morons

Comment

Savage

You are quite correct about teasers being bad plays, as I stated in opening this thread.

However, my teaser plays have been winners this season.

My NFL record is 24 winners to 11 losers, as posted on this site, and most of these plays are teaser plays.

Last Sunday I went 3 - 0 on teaser plays.

I also hit the 3 team teaser on the 3 or 4 team teaser play thread for this weekend.

However, I have been damn lucky.

I do not have that success over the long haul.

My problem is money management.

I lose usually when I load up on a play and win usually when I play light.

I win slightly more than I lose, but lose money because of poor money management.

I do much better in the stock market - buy PCS at 4.4 or less and JMAR at 1.8 or less for a quiock 10% + profit over rthe next few weeks.
        sigpic

Comment

Art-thanks for the stocks. I will check them out very carefully.
          Re: teasers-I agree-it seems when you play them light you win but when you go heavy you lose.
          Perhaps you are one of few who can maintain a winning percentage with them;I know that I can't.
          Continued good luck, and I myself will play one perhaps if you see a good one.
          Homer-your picks in all sports are very helpful to me.

Comment

Tease & parlay the same teams

You are correct. Teasers are sucker bets, but I still make them with this stipulation...

After reviewing my record two years ago I noticed that for 75% of the teasers that I won, I didn't need the extra points (6 and 6.5 point teasers were the only ones available). I could've won a parlay with the same teams.

I now parlay the same 2 or 3 teams that I play on a teaser. Instead of playing a .5 unit teaser, I make a .25 unit teaser and a .25 unit parlay.

This rule also encourages me to limit the number of teasers and parlays that I play.

Mike F

Comment

Mike-I agree with and like your thinking.
              I have an admitted weakness for parlays, but at least you get a nice payoff when you hit(I like 3 and 4 teamers); as you say, more times than not teaser points don't mean anything;thus parlay makes more sense.

Comment

Good info

Thanks for the discussion guys. This is interesting stuff.
                Please don't question my record or I will leave!!!!

Comment

Two further comments re: teasers.
                  My opinion is 1) that if these things are monitored anywhere, one would find that just about every service has a much lower winning percentage than they do on straight bets and 2) many people who play these things regularly(not all) are trying to be a "big shot" by proving they can find the games where the actual teaser points do mean something.

Comment

After reading this :

I really would like to agree with each and ever point of view here but there are other ways of looking at these also . No doubt in my mind that (over-the-long-haul) teasers where invented for the "action-jackson" type players with the need for speed but when carefully examined they can on occasion offer some easy money , key word " careful " !

I have found in years of this that the parlay is the thing for me and my percentage rate with them can vary due to reaching out for a good dog every once in while ( as in baseball with Homer ) .

Hitting 2 of every 10 played will keep the cash flowing in 4 teamers , 1 in every 10 will keep you afloat , and thats not asking to much but they have to be somewhere between ( +100 to +160 ) as a general rule. With that being said , it is still a tough game as is this whole racket and them high foluten odds makers dont give many free passes to ride with . I am somewhat lucky to have found something that works well for me ( dogs ) as I have to fall back on it when my crystal ball fails me at other sports but my thirst for learning this and other sports is what keeps my clock ticking !

2 - Plays for this thread I like tonight :

Det. @ Calgary - over 5

Miami Heat + 7.5

straight 2 teamer for 1* ???

G.L.

***MMM***

:cool: :cool: :cool:
                    " The Wind Does Not Wait For The Tree To Bend "

Comment

I have tried to win with the pups in the South Florida and Jacksonille, Fla. area.

No success over time.

My hat is off to you and your success.

Having remembered my statistical findings of years back, regarding the poor payout of teasers over time, I think I will play more 3 team parlays.

My first is:

PARLAY (3 TEAMS)

CFB: MIAMI OHIO -½ First Qrt. (tonight)

CFB: VANDERBILT +24 vs Fla. (Sat.)

NBA: INDIANA -7 vs Denver (tonight)
                      sigpic

Comment

Art :

G.L. on your parlay but one thing I noticed was you going against our Gators ( shame-shame) , That one might make you angry at the end of the day . I would not touch it myself for several reasons , 1 being they are so unpredictable , 2 being they are playing far better as the year unfolds , 3 being " in the Swamp " , and 4 being I think Leak is starting to understand that offense a little better !

The pups take time and a very good system for your approach to them , and like everything it a marathon not a sprint !

G.L.

***MMM***

:cool: :cool: :cool:
                        " The Wind Does Not Wait For The Tree To Bend "

Comment

Working...
                        X