Should I confront my bookie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bryce View Post
    makes sense! Did you ever know that establishment to run them cards again??
    I never found out to tell you the truth;if they did, it must have been sometime later to allow the stink wore off.
    Needless to say, I took my action elsewhere.

Comment

most locals seem to do little things to make payout better in their favor....most ones i dealt w. charge double juice -120 for totals....have local for baseball that if a fav is -125 he rounds up to -130 but only pays +110 on the comeback for the dog instead +120
      edification will take place pull up the reins and get outta the race.

Comment

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
        I've noticed for a while now that my bookie is screwing me on the juice. For instance, if I put $50 on a team that's -115 I pay him $58 instead of 57.50. I'm fine with that if he rounds up if I make a bet on a dog. But, if I make a $50 bet on a team at +115, I pay $57. I know its on .50 cents but I make at least 20 plays a week on baseball and it adds up. Should I speak up or just bite the bullet.

Granny if your bookie is consistent on paying you and is never late on your winners I wouldnt make a big deal about it.

Comment

My local still owes me for the Super Bowl. He gave me Arizona +9.5 bc everyone was betting Pitt big. I pounded it! Havent seen the cash yet.
          Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
          +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
          +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
          +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
          +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
          +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
          +14.7 Units

Comment

Originally posted by roccodean View Post
            My local still owes me for the Super Bowl. He gave me Arizona +9.5 bc everyone was betting Pitt big. I pounded it! Havent seen the cash yet.
            Personally, I would not have given him any more business until I got paid-the name of the game is pay and get paid in a timely manner;three months after the SB and not getting paid is not exactly what I call timely!
            Last edited by savage1; 05-05-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
              Personally, I would not have given him any more business until I got paid-the name of the game is pay and get paid in a timely manner;three months after the SB and not getting paid is not exactly what I call timely!
              I havent bet with him since.
              Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
              +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
              +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
              +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
              +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
              +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
              +14.7 Units

Comment

Originally posted by roccodean View Post
                I havent bet with him since.
                Is he at least paying you in regular installments and if not, why not?
                I went through this many years ago with a ham and egg bookmaker, and he kept promising me to pay but didn't.
                I finally had to call one of my buddies who was connected if you catch my drift, in order to get my money, which I finally did.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about being rounded up or down on juice.

As others have pointed out, it used to be a lot worse.

The internet has forced these guys to be a lot more competitive. The crackdown on web gambling a couple of years ago has helped the local books a lot but they still aren't able to pull the stuff of a few years ago.

If you don't like his prices, find another book.

Remember: WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS ILLEGAL AND YOU HAVE NO COP TO RUN TO SO HE CAN SET WHATEVER POLICIES HE WANTS AND CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. You, on the other hand, don't have to use him.

Comment

BOOKS ARE JUST LIKE THE REST OF SOCIETY,there are good ones and bad ones,shop around brother,you can still find a decent local....i have seen many different books in over 30 years,some just like the guy savage mentioned,the books i have seen who get fat are the ones who are open late and whom write bets on anything that vegas does....its really simple,the more bets they write down,the better off they are,its simple math 101....
                    DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

I've noticed for a while now that my bookie is screwing me on the juice. For instance, if I put $50 on a team that's -115 I pay him $58 instead of 57.50. I'm fine with that if he rounds up if I make a bet on a dog. But, if I make a $50 bet on a team at +115, I pay $57. I know its on .50 cents but I make at least 20 plays a week on baseball and it adds up. Should I speak up or just bite the bullet.
                      I personally would let it go.

If it is the principle thing, then you have to decide. If it keeps you awake at night, bring it up. Tell him that at the end of the week, month, or year you want a free play for the amount he owes you. Figure $4 a week, $16 a month, or $192 a year on average.

It sounds like a competitive thing. Just tell him you know what's up and consider it a tip. That way he knows you are calling his bullshit, but it gets you off the hook from a pride standpoint.

Either way, good luck.

Comment

I used to have a bookie that did the same thing. I changed the amounts I bet so there was never any rounding. At -115 bet either $40 or $60.

I agree with you. It's not only 50 cents. Over the long haul it adds up. Speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
                          That is what I was going to ask grandmama ... does he payout when he should?? has he ever delayed you in paying??? is he open for business when he should be??? Are his lines decent??? does he allow you a roll-over figure???

If you answer yes to 3 of those let it go ... You have a good book ...
                          great post i totally agree. I've used a local for many years now and i know he might not have the best hours of operation but i never once worried about payments or bad lines. I tried using another local and he was glad to take my money but when i won he always was delayed in paying and a couple times asked me to roll it over.
                          If you find a good local who is consistent stick with him. dont worry about loose change. heck make him buy you a couple drinks at the bar that will cover a whole season of juice.
                          Last edited by 10DimeBry; 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM.
                          2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
                            I used to have a bookie that did the same thing. I changed the amounts I bet so there was never any rounding. At -115 bet either $40 or $60.

good point frank. why not take the X factor out of the equation.
                            2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Working...
                            X