Should I confront my bookie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I confront my bookie?

I've noticed for a while now that my bookie is screwing me on the juice. For instance, if I put $50 on a team that's -115 I pay him $58 instead of 57.50. I'm fine with that if he rounds up if I make a bet on a dog. But, if I make a $50 bet on a team at +115, I pay $57. I know its on .50 cents but I make at least 20 plays a week on baseball and it adds up. Should I speak up or just bite the bullet.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
    I've noticed for a while now that my bookie is screwing me on the juice. For instance, if I put $50 on a team that's -115 I pay him $58 instead of 57.50. I'm fine with that if he rounds up if I make a bet on a dog. But, if I make a $50 bet on a team at +115, I pay $57. I know its on .50 cents but I make at least 20 plays a week on baseball and it adds up. Should I speak up or just bite the bullet.
    I would speak up and just make sure it's fair and consistent both ways.

Comment

its the principle of the matter rather than the cash. I just hate the fact that he thinks he's pulling one over on everyone.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
        its the principle of the matter rather than the cash. I just hate the fact that he thinks he's pulling one over on everyone.
        but as you said it adds up and you should make sure it is just fair and consistent..

Comment

thanks bryce

Comment

Threaten him by letting him know if he isn't consistent, you are going to quadruple your units and put him out of business playing all of Spark's and 3WM plays...that should straighten out the fat fvck!
            Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Bite the Bullet man. If that is your worst problem with your local, bite the bullet on the .50

I used to have a guy who did the same exact thing. He said he hated dealing with change and he said he rounded up for faves and down with dogs. Being the book, he figured it was his right. I really had no problem with it because his lines were pretty legit. Yes, 50 cents here and there can add up but a good week will still be a good week and a bad one will be a bad one. I bet a lot of games too but the few bucks a week wasn't a big deal and it wasn't worth causing a stink over.

Comment

I haven't used a local in years, but I remember when I did, I had a guy who pulled the same shit as you describe.
                In addition, ties on teasers were considered losers and I had to pay 6/5 on any kind of parlays-unfortuntately I was at his mercy if I wanted to bet.
                Thank God for Offshores.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                  Bite the Bullet man. If that is your worst problem with your local, bite the bullet on the .50

I used to have a guy who did the same exact thing. He said he hated dealing with change and he said he rounded up for faves and down with dogs. Being the book, he figured it was his right. I really had no problem with it because his lines were pretty legit. Yes, 50 cents here and there can add up but a good week will still be a good week and a bad one will be a bad one. I bet a lot of games too but the few bucks a week wasn't a big deal and it wasn't worth causing a stink over.
                  I disagree as the book already has the advantage...It this was the year 2000 or before I would agree as us as bettors didn't have any other option but to put up with this shit. I run into this now with my guy where If I win 100.75 cents what do I win...101.00 or 100.00. He finally came back to me and said anything over .51 round up anything from .50 under round down. I see where you are coming from but with anything else books need to be fair and consistent these days as their are so many other betting avenues out there. Again if it was my guy he would at least be able to tell me why he does it this way and grandmama should be able to ask the question without ruffling the guys EGO.

Comment

Originally posted by bryce View Post
                    I disagree as the book already has the advantage...It this was the year 2000 or before I would agree as us as bettors didn't have any other option but to put up with this shit. I run into this now with my guy where If I win 100.75 cents what do I win...101.00 or 100.00. He finally came back to me and said anything over .51 round up anything from .50 under round down. I see where you are coming from but with anything else books need to be fair and consistent these days as their are so many other betting avenues out there. Again if it was my guy he would at least be able to tell me why he does it this way and grandmama should be able to ask the question without ruffling the guys EGO.
                    Bryce, I have had some pretty bad locals and one thing locals can do is make up their own rules. Their ass is on the line if they get caught, not yours. You also have other locals as options and offshore accounts. If this is the mans rules, you either play under them or go elsewhere. He isn't licensed by Vegas and he doesn't have to use their rules. That is the bottom line really, bs or not.

Comment

ps I forgot to mention-the most insulting thing my local did was to have NFL totals like this at even money: 39-41-meaning that if you wanted to play the under, you played under 39-if you wanted the over, you had to bet over 41. If it landed at 40, you lost no matter what you had.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
                        ps I forgot to mention-the most insulting thing my local did was to have NFL totals like this at even money: 39-41-meaning that if you wanted to play the under, you played under 39-if you wanted the over, you had to bet over 41. If it landed at 40, you lost no matter what you had.

You had one of the worst locals EVER!!!!!

That is what i'm talking about. If .50 here and there is your biggest problem, consider yourself lucky!

Comment

I had one guy tell me.

"You go to vegas and pay up front for your wagers. They don't do it on paper. They don't have to chase people. I do and many times i get stiffed by people. That is a tiny way for me to make up some of that and believe me, i've still been screwed out of alot more than i've gained with this."

Made sense to me cuz i know they get stiffed alot. Being a book isn't always easy. Looking for your money while watching your back is stressful. It's .50, don't lose sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                            You had one of the worst locals EVER!!!!!

That is what i'm talking about. If .50 here and there is your biggest problem, consider yourself lucky!
                            You got that right.
                            As was the case before free agency where players either accepted the salary offered or sat out, that was pretty much the situation I encountered as all of the Locals in my area operated under the same rules.
                            And oh yes, one last thing-for a long time, all bets were at 6-5-nickel lines didn't exist(at least around here-if a Local was caught using one, well, lets say if the Mafia found out, he was forced to go back to 6-5 or ELSE!!!).
                            Last edited by savage1; 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Having used losals for years, over extending my credit on a number of occasions and having some of the issues you all have mentioned...I won't go back. I'll stick to the off-shore....
                              Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Working...
                              X