Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a writer who had enough courage to write SOMETHING about the Utah/Denver over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a writer who had enough courage to write SOMETHING about the Utah/Denver over

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://nationalsportsreview.com/spor...might-go-down/

The Anatomy of a Fishy NBA Game: How the Fix Might Go Down

Let me make this clear right up front. I am not accusing referees Eric Lewis, Tom Washington, Phil Robinson of fixing Thursday night’s Utah Jazz-Denver Nuggets basketball game. I am, though, going to show how easy it is for referees to fix games.

Since this was a TNT-televised contest, I decided to choose this game to check the point spread and the over-under - total points scored - bets for the game. Denver was a 5.5 point favorite to win the game and the point total given by most Internet betting sites was 209.

Utah came into the game absolutely needing to win this game to keep pace with the Nuggets in the Northwest Division of the Western Conference. Because San Antonio gagged away a game at home against Oklahoma, the Spurs relinquished the number two seed in the West. Denver was now number two and Utah entered Thursday night’s game just 2.5 games behind the Nuggets. If Utah can catch Denver, with a win in their final season meeting, the Jazz would own the tie-breaker against the Nuggets.

The Nuggets average 106.7 points scored per game at home. Utah scores 101.8 points per game when they play on the road. The Jazz also allow 105 points on the road compared to 95 at home, hence the 209 point total.

What made this game interesting was that, because of its importance to both teams, it should have been played with playoff game intensity. Because of that supposed fact, the game should have been played in the 90s, well below the betting point total. Additionally, this season the Nuggets have limited opposing teams to 44% shooting down over three percent from last season.

Instead of a 95-90 outcome, or even a 102-96 final score, we got an improbably high 114-104 - Denver won - score.

Why was this final score improbably high? Two reasons. One, other than the middle portion of the third quarter, the game was played at a playoff pitch. The second reason though, is the most important. If investigators were to look into the possibility that NBA games are fixed, this would be their clue.

Utah shot only 36.6% from the field and Denver attempted only 75 shots, converting 46.7% of those shots, yet the teams combined for 218 points. The Jazz made only 34 baskets, six of those three-pointers and the Nuggets hit shots including ning treys.

This season NBA teams average 24.6 free throw attempts per game and averaging 19 made fouls shots. Utah and Denver though, are above the league averages. The Jazz are 20.3 for 26.6 from the line on average while the Nuggets are 21.3 for 27.2.

Thursday night the free throw lines looked like this: Utah - 30-40; Denver - 35-46. Even odder was the fact that in the first quarter, only 10 total free throws were attempted, four for Utah, six for Denver. And the score of that quarter? A playoff-like 24-21 Utah lead.

So how did we get from eight free throws attempted in one quarter to a ridiculous 86 attempts for the game?

In the second quarter there were 18 attempts (nine apiece). In quarter three the refs tightened things up even more. Utah attempted 13 foul shots and Denver attempted 15. And in the final 12 minutes Utah received 14 tries from the charity stripe and Denver had 16 tries from the line. Seventy-six free throw attempts is an inordinate number of trips to the line for any 48-minute NBA game.

But for three quarters?

Something seems fishy.

The game was hotly contested from the outset. Though Denver dragged through a shooting drought for much of the first 12 minutes, there was much bumping and grinding. Because only 10 total free throws were attempted, it appeared that the referee crew was going to allow physical play to rule the day. However, by the middle of the third quarter, players could be seen shaking their heads in disbelief at the inconsistency of the official’s calls. One moment the play under the galss was rough while touch fouls were called on the perimeter. A moment later, the opposite was the norm. As a result, the players never figured out the officials’ foul calling pattern and the game was a mess.

Had the teams attempted and made their season averages from the line, the final score would have been, 100-94, Denver, well under the 209 Las Vegas-projected point total. Interestingly, the game total was in doubt with the teams reaching the 209 mark with only 48 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

Inconsistent officiating, an unusual number of play stoppages due to foul calls, and twice the number of free throws attempted in a game are the three easiest ways to shoot a game over its projected point total. Usually, any one of those happenstances are enough to achieve a higher point total than expected.

Thursday night, strangely, all three occurred. And because of the game’s pace and intensity, all had to be used if the game was to reach 210 points.

Again, I’m not saying something was odd about the officiating in the Utah-Denver game.

But…
    Last edited by GOLDENGREEK; 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM.

What else is new with NBA seriously...

League average FT attempts per game is 49 and in this one there were 86?
    SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chado1 View Post
      What else is new with NBA seriously...

League average FT attempts per game is 49 and in this one there were 86?
      Here is what the NBA stands for to me IMO:
      No
      Betting
      Allowed

I just don't bet the shit cause this shit happens to often if you ask me.

Comment

this doesnt surprise me, after a ref was caught red handed fixing games, i TRY not to bet a dime on this stupid league...this league should be shut down, NBA is the worst brand of a professional sport there is
        jordanrules..................

Comment

I agree,its a joke. You don't even know when teams are motivated to play. Its a coin toss really

Comment

I agree guys but when you need some action and the NBA is the only thing on well so be it..with donaghy or whatever his name is seems like this shit would of went away---or maybe it is just coincidental.. regardless there is always one side that is a winner and if this shit is fixed...get on the fixed side!! NBA is like the NFL for me...No Fun League!! As I absolutely detest betting the NFL for the past two years...

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
              Here is what the NBA stands for to me IMO:
              No
              Betting
              Allowed

I just don't bet the shit cause this shit happens to often if you ask me.
              Originally posted by jordanrules23 View Post
              this doesnt surprise me, after a ref was caught red handed fixing games, i TRY not to bet a dime on this stupid league...this league should be shut down, NBA is the worst brand of a professional sport there is
              Originally posted by Mark Richt View Post
              I agree,its a joke. You don't even know when teams are motivated to play. Its a coin toss really
              Couldnt agree more with all...

Comment

The whole league is geared toward points and entertainment. Hence the 8 seconds allowed to get it half way up the court, and the mere 24 seconds to shoot it, despite the fact that the entire game is 48 minutes. I think the NBA could be fixed this way:

1. Eliminate that stupid no defender's allowed circle ( there's a place where offense can get fouled, but defense can't??????)

2. Extend the three-point line about 3 or 4 feet back (your a professional, if you can't hit it from that far out, you don't deserve three points)

3. Referees, eliminate ALL OF THEM, and bring in fresh people who you can teach how to referee a game fairly for both offense AND defense.

4. And this might seem extreme to some of you, and if you don't like it, then just account my first three rules. Higher the rim to 12 feet. Everyone can dunk, everyone, how dumb is that? Dunking should be exciting and something that doesn't happen every other possession. Higher it to 12 feet, and let's see how many shots fall.

Then again, I shouldn't complain, I bet the NBA regularly .
                "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

Originally posted by bryce View Post
                  I agree guys but when you need some action and the NBA is the only thing on well so be it..with donaghy or whatever his name is seems like this shit would of went away---or maybe it is just coincidental.. regardless there is always one side that is a winner and if this shit is fixed...get on the fixed side!! NBA is like the NFL for me...No Fun League!! As I absolutely detest betting the NFL for the past two years...
                  Very true you could be on the fixed side thats fine. I think the more important point is about the brand of sport in this league is terrible to watch. Like who gets pumped up to watch the Nets and Knicks on a Tuesday night or whatever?

Like Spark said he hasnt watched an NBA game since the Michael Jordan Bulls days. It has went so downhill since then its sickening

Comment

Couldnt agree more with all...

About a week ago Minn lost to the worst team in the NBA OKC by like 20.Then,the next day Minn comes to Atlanta as 12.5 point underdogs.Atlanta leads by 20+ for most of the game and then with about 10 seconds on the clock the ref calls an offensive foul away from the ball on Atlanta and Minny goes down and hits both free throws to lose by 12.That did it for me

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                      The whole league is geared toward points and entertainment. Hence the 8 seconds allowed to get it half way up the court, and the mere 24 seconds to shoot it, despite the fact that the entire game is 48 minutes. I think the NBA could be fixed this way:

1. Eliminate that stupid no defender's allowed circle ( there's a place where offense can get fouled, but defense can't??????)

2. Extend the three-point line about 3 or 4 feet back (your a professional, if you can't hit it from that far out, you don't deserve three points)

3. Referees, eliminate ALL OF THEM, and bring in fresh people who you can teach how to referee a game fairly for both offense AND defense.

4. And this might seem extreme to some of you, and if you don't like it, then just account my first three rules. Higher the rim to 12 feet. Everyone can dunk, everyone, how dumb is that? Dunking should be exciting and something that doesn't happen every other possession. Higher it to 12 feet, and let's see how many shots fall.

Then again, I shouldn't complain, I bet the NBA regularly .
                      I agree there shouldnt even be refs.

Its pretty much a street ball game regardless with barely any travel and palming calls made and they really do pick and choose which shooting fouls to call. Bunch of 7 foot freaks of nature running around a court as music plays dropping balls into a net that is at their forehead. If I was that tall I could do that too. Awesome athletic ability my ass. CBB is where its at and the comes NBA where everything goes to shit IMO....

Comment

Originally posted by bryce View Post
                        I'm with you Bryce.If nothing else is on TV, I bet "very" small on NBA just for entertainment!!!!!! Most of the time it's a 4 team "moneyline" parlay if I do bet it. I would never place a big play on any NBA game.This shit just seems to happen too much.

Comment

I'm with you Bryce.If nothing else is on TV, I bet "very" small on NBA just for entertainment!!!!!! Most of the time it's a 4 team "moneyline" parlay if I do bet it. I would never place a big play on any NBA game.This shit just seems to happen too much.
                          Me either Vols!! It is to tough and if you notice I stay away till College is over..took to many bad beats back in the 90's..but will dabble now as there isn't to much else!! Playoffs seem to be different--but as I say that ????

Comment

About a week ago Minn lost to the worst team in the NBA OKC by like 20.Then,the next day Minn comes to Atlanta as 12.5 point underdogs.Atlanta leads by 20+ for most of the game and then with about 10 seconds on the clock the ref calls an offensive foul away from the ball on Atlanta and Minny goes down and hits both free throws to lose by 12.That did it for me
                            About two years ago MtrCtyPimp and I were watching some bush league NBA game on I think it was a late Wednesday night. We had under 190.5 total is sitting at 189 and one team is winning by 20!!!The team who was up by double digits in bounds the ball with about 10 seconds left and some dude from the opposition comes running at full speed from one end of the court to the other and attempts to press the guy who was just dribbling out the game. Ref calls a foul and he hits both free throws to put it over by the hook NO FUCKING JOKE OF A LIE. I have tons of NBA shade stories but that summed it up for me with my own eyes. Havent bet an NBA game since then nor even watched one second of it. During the NBA playoffs last season I think I was watching Americas Got Talent instead of the Lakers / Celtics. The product of sport is horrible in that league. Fucking puke fest JMHO some people love it and thats their opinion...
                            Last edited by Chado1; 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

About two years ago MtrCtyPimp and I were watching some bush league NBA game on I think it was a late Wednesday night. We had under 190.5 total is sitting at 189 and one team is winning by 20!!!The team who was up by double digits in bounds the ball with about 10 seconds left and some dude from the opposition comes running at full speed from one end of the court to the other and attempts to press the guy who was just dribbling out the game. Ref calls a foul and he hits both free throws to put it over by the hook. I have tons of NBA shade stories but then summed it up for me. Havent bet an NBA game since then nor even watched one second of it. During the NBA playoffs last season I think I was watching Americas Got Talent instead of the Lakers / Celtics. The product of sport is horrible in that league. Fucking puke fest
                              I remember because I was telling you guys to stop crying about it and that the shit wasn't fixed.NOW, after betting NBA when nothing else is on and following the Hawks a little more now that they don't suck,this shit just seems to happen too often.I will never bet anything over $20 on an NBA game and $5 max on a parlay.This allows me to not get too pissed when this kinda shit happens and still gives me something to bet on at 10:00 at night when nothing else is on.

Comment

Working...
                              X