UVA Makes Great Hire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVA Makes Great Hire

UVA got a steal with the hiring of Tony Bennett. Really pissed that Bama didn't give him a good look. They're paying Anothny Grant 2 million a year and I like the guy, but Tony B is a proven winner and deserved a look.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Not sure if Tony B's style can win games in the ACC.

Comment

I think UVA got the best coach they could, because the big names they originally were after would not take this job and have to recruit and go against UNC, Duke, Wake, Clemson, Boston College, FSU and even Miami.

I really don't get his decision though for him since he was rumored to have the LSU and Indiana jobs last year, those seem like better situations.

He has done well and is a good coach, but I think he may fall on his face here, because he got out recruited by Wash and Gonzaga regularly, without any east coast ties what is he going to do recruiting against the established ACC schools. After three years and lets say one NCAA berth which he loses in the first round or maybe even gets to the sweet sixteen like he did at Wash St, will he still be loved? Virginia hasnt been relevent in basketball for decades.

After him turning down the LSU and Indiana jobs and saying he wanted to stay at Wash St. I also feel bad for the 9 freshman he had who came to play for him who unlike Memphis kids have no choice but to stay or lose a year, and from what I read are pretty dismayed.

Overall, best the school could hope for, but doubt it makes a difference, maybe 4 wins a year or something, but the best they could hope for is the be the 7th team from the conference making march madness
      2012 - 2013 NCAAF

21 - 20 - 0

2012 - 2013 NFL

14 - 10 - 1

Comment

I know he played NBA ball for the Hornets for a few years, so maybe people around there will remember him. As for his style of play, I'm not sure if the ACC is ready for the style he will bring. I know he was out recruited at WSU, but he did win will virtually zero talent. Think the only player he had there is the kid that plays for Okla City now. Anyway, guess my point is, that he took the job because he lived in the region for a few years, and it is a better place to coach than Wash St. I think they only have 6 total tourney wins, and he has half of them. I think he is a top 10 coach and he's only 39.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

Kyle Weaver the kid that plays for OKC now from Wash St.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
            Kyle Weaver the kid that plays for OKC now from Wash St.
            That's it! I think he's been getting more PT of late, and has been playing good ball. LIke OCity, they need a big man and they would be a good team.

Comment

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
              That's it! I think he's been getting more PT of late, and has been playing good ball. LIke OCity, they need a big man and they would be a good team.
              Yes, he's a nice defender and a good player. Almost looked scared to shoot the ball early in the season, which coming out of Tony B's offense I could see how, but had developed his offensive game more for the NBA throughout the year. Ok City definitely has a good young nucleus that should only get better with experience, but yes, they are in desperate need of a big man.

Comment

Working...
              X