Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officiating dictates Super Bowl XLIII to the unreviewed end

Yahoo sports

It will go down as one of the most thrilling Super Bowls of all time. But, as has become all too common in the NFL, an officiating controversy threatens to overshadow the stellar play on the field.

On the final Cardinals play from scrimmage, as the team was driving for a potential game-winning score, Kurt Warner turned over the ball after his arm was hit by LaMarr Woodley. The play was ruled a fumble, and it may have been. Or it may have been an incomplete pass. The problem is, there was no official replay review to take a closer look at the ruling. Instead, the Steelers got the ball, knelt down for the win and earned the sixth title in franchise history.

Frankly, it's remarkable that there was no booth challenge to review the play. It was certainly close enough to warrant a look from upstairs. In all probability, the call on the field would have been confirmed. But why not appease the masses and nip any talk of controversy in the bud? (If the call had been overturned, Arizona would have had the ball on the Pittsburgh 29-yard line, certainly close enough to have had a reasonable shot at scoring a last-second touchdown.)

It was a night marred by questionable calls, but the game managed to make everyone forget about the disparity in penalties (106 yards for the Cardinals against just 56 for the Steelers) with its thrilling finish. And then came the unreviewed call. It's especially interesting that the play went without a second look considering the Cardinals correctly challenged two plays during the game (both of which should have been easy calls on the field but were botched by the refs).

The 11 penalties whistled on Arizona included a preposterous roughing the passer penalty on a play that wouldn't have been uncommon in touch football. That came on a drive that saw two personal foul penalties on the Cards, one of which gave the Steelers another chance to score from the goal line. For the evening, 18 penalties were called, the third-most in Super Bowl history. A missed call may have proven enormous also. After Santonio Holmes' game-winning touchdown catch he did an imitation of LeBron James' chalk move. Using the ball as a prop is an automatic 15-yard penalty on the kickoff.

Officiating controversies became way too prevalent in this league this season. Ed Hochuli's premature whistle dominated headlines in the early season and a missed delay of game penalty in the divisional playoffs aided in a Baltimore Ravens win. It's too bad a great Super Bowl followed down that path and may be marred by a decision that would have been easily remedied by a simple booth review.

---------------------------------------

I thought they were quick just to put the ball down and let Pitt snap it without taking a look at the last play. I've seen some QB's whose arms were still behind them get calls that it was a incomplete forward pass. I smell conspiracy
    He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

What about the running into the holder?

Comment

Originally posted by insidethe8thpol View Post
      But, as has become all too common in the NFL, an officiating controversy threatens to overshadow the stellar play on the field.
      I was laughing so much at the typical calls throughout the game. After watching this entire NFL season could we have expected anything less? Seriously I have almost come to expect it now....
      SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Arizona tackles Pittsburgh's defense player on that 100 yard run they win.

Comment

thank god an article was written about this....I was shocked to have heard nothing about it this morning. What an embarrasment to the NFL. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this ref the same one that ruled the PITT WR was in the endzone at the end of the 2nd Pitt/Bal game? Arizona's defense should be commended for holding them to a FG after those 3 calls, the only one of which that was legit was the facemask.

And how about when james harrison punched that dude twice on the punt? How does he not get ejected?

It's true that it's hard to catch everything in a game....but to have that many aggregious calls....NFL needs to check itself.
          1 = $25

MLB Posted (as of 4/15) - 20-11 +21.86

God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of

Comment

Originally posted by vondie View Post
            thank god an article was written about this....I was shocked to have heard nothing about it this morning. What an embarrasment to the NFL. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this ref the same one that ruled the PITT WR was in the endzone at the end of the 2nd Pitt/Bal game? Arizona's defense should be commended for holding them to a FG after those 3 calls, the only one of which that was legit was the facemask.

And how about when james harrison punched that dude twice on the punt? How does he not get ejected?

It's true that it's hard to catch everything in a game....but to have that many aggregious calls....NFL needs to check itself.
            Harrison plays tough, all he did was keep shoving the guy to the ground. Fransisco tried to get up, Harrison set him back down. What do you want Harrison to do, let him get up and track the ball down?? The fact that it was even a personal foul shows how weak football is getting. I don't understand how you flag a guy for being ten times stronger than the guy lined up across from him. It's the Super Bowl, you go all out, Harrison went all out and IMO did not one thing wrong on that play.
            "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

You can tell who had who yesterday based on their comments!

The officiating WAS bad, but it went BOTH ways! On the very 1st drive, Ben absolutely crossed the plane of the goal line when the knee went down, yet they didn't award Pittsburgh the rightful TD. They got screwed out of 4 points there. There needs to be undisputable evidence to over-turn the call on the field, and there WASN'T. Harrison was tackled on almost every play, all game long, and I'm surprised they even call holding on AZ 3 times... should have been 6-7 times! And Finally, the play at the end of the game WAS indeed a fumble, and it probably was looked at quickly upstairs and ruled as such. You don't always need a stoppage of play to review a play. The ball was clearly and without any doubt what-so-ever OUT of Warner's hand when his arm came forward, and it was actually Warner's forearm that propelled the ball forward. when Warner's arm came forward, the ball WAS OUT.... clear as a bell. No conspiracy at all, UNLESS you're an Arizona fan. Also, AZ would NOT have been at the Steeler 29, but back at the 45 yd line with 5 seconds remaining. The game was over anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by slappy's son View Post

The officiating WAS bad, but it went BOTH ways! On the very 1st drive, Ben absolutely crossed the plane of the goal line when the knee went down, yet they didn't award Pittsburgh the rightful TD. They got screwed out of 4 points there. There needs to be undisputable evidence to over-turn the call on the field, and there WASN'T. Harrison was tackled on almost every play, all game long, and I'm surprised they even call holding on AZ 3 times... should have been 6-7 times! And Finally, the play at the end of the game WAS indeed a fumble, and it probably was looked at quickly upstairs and ruled as such. You don't always need a stoppage of play to review a play. The ball was clearly and without any doubt what-so-ever OUT of Warner's hand when his arm came forward, and it was actually Warner's forearm that propelled the ball forward. when Warner's arm came forward, the ball WAS OUT.... clear as a bell. No conspiracy at all, UNLESS you're an Arizona fan. Also, AZ would NOT have been at the Steeler 29, but back at the 45 yd line with 5 seconds remaining. The game was over anyway!
                The ball would have been at the 29, a 15 yard penalty was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play. AZ with one shot from the 30 is very doable. This is the SB, and there was maybe 40 seconds from the end of the play to the hike of the kneeldown, that is in no way sufficient time to review a play, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                  Harrison plays tough, all he did was keep shoving the guy to the ground. Fransisco tried to get up, Harrison set him back down. What do you want Harrison to do, let him get up and track the ball down?? The fact that it was even a personal foul shows how weak football is getting. I don't understand how you flag a guy for being ten times stronger than the guy lined up across from him. It's the Super Bowl, you go all out, Harrison went all out and IMO did not one thing wrong on that play.
                  mavs, you had to have been drinking yesterday if you truly feel this way. He basically threw punches and cheap shotted him well after the play was over. Even Madden was even saying Harrison should have been tossed from the game, and he usually leans toward the tough guys and disagrees with a lot of the late hit calls.

Comment

Originally posted by harold_bush View Post
                    mavs, you had to have been drinking yesterday if you truly feel this way. He basically threw punches and cheap shotted him well after the play was over. Even Madden was even saying Harrison should have been tossed from the game, and he usually leans toward the tough guys and disagrees with a lot of the late hit calls.
                    It's football. Getting punched with pads on doesn't hurt. And it was hardly a huge punch, as it was just one player manhandling another. This is just how I saw it. I think people need to realize that this is football. Maybe I'm wrong. But I just think Fransisco was overmatched, and it was more a personal foul for embarassment than anything else.

Comment

blah, blah, blah, blah
                      Questions, comments, complaints:
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by slappy's son View Post

I agree, the officiating was bad both ways. Everyone forgets the 6 or so calls against Pittsburgh in the 4th quarter. Also, if we want to review the fumble at the end of the game. Which was a fumble, how come we didn't review Fitz's catch in the end zone. Did anyone else notice him rolling the ball around as the point of the ball hits the ground? Check it on your DVR's,,,not one word about it.... Pittsburgh won a great game yesterday and Arizona gained some much needed respect. Officiating had nothing to do with them giving up a 88 yard drive,,,it was 88 yards because of a mystery holding call...to Big Ben...the only QB that could win a Super Bowl with that Offensive Line....
                        Let's Hammer the Book.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                          The ball would have been at the 29, a 15 yard penalty was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play. AZ with one shot from the 30 is very doable. This is the SB, and there was maybe 40 seconds from the end of the play to the hike of the kneeldown, that is in no way sufficient time to review a play, IMO.
                          I thought that they would at least give it a good review before giving the ball to the Steelers. I have and I am sure many have seen some crazy fucking overturns in the review booth before.

As for pappys daughter saying there's no conspiracy unless you're a Cardinal fan is just dumb. This was the Super Bowl and to have the game end without the review on that play was just strange to me anyway.

I'm a Giants fan by the way, not a Cards or Pitt fan

Comment

Originally posted by DBURGH View Post
                            I agree, the officiating was bad both ways. Everyone forgets the 6 or so calls against Pittsburgh in the 4th quarter. Also, if we want to review the fumble at the end of the game. Which was a fumble, how come we didn't review Fitz's catch in the end zone. Did anyone else notice him rolling the ball around as the point of the ball hits the ground? Check it on your DVR's,,,not one word about it.... Pittsburgh won a great game yesterday and Arizona gained some much needed respect. Officiating had nothing to do with them giving up a 88 yard drive,,,it was 88 yards because of a mystery holding call...to Big Ben...the only QB that could win a Super Bowl with that Offensive Line....
                            Burgh, I mentioned this in the in game thread. The tip of the ball DID hit the ground when he fell down.

Comment

I bet on Arizona and im not complaining because shit happens, but these officials were absolutely horrible in this game. To let the game end on that play without a review is unreal, whether or not it would have been overturned is irrelevant the point is it should have been looked at .. the calls the officials were making against arizona were also unreal, roughing the holder ?? give me a break this is the nfl... not to mention the 5 holds that werent called on the pick six at the end of the first half ... the nfl really needs to look into this because its ruining the game....

Comment

Working...
                              X