Pick to Win -- Finnish Nights and Carolina
    There is a common thread

Courtesy of: I.M. Bettor

BOSTON HERALD
    I.M. BETTOR
    BY THE NUMBERS
    WEEK 8
    Friday, Oct. 24, 2003

I recall a trip I made to far away Finland many years ago. On our first night, one member of out traveling party, a short, slightly overweight, curly haired Californian with a bad moustache, managed to woo some gorgeous Helsinki hottie back to his room for what we suspected was a night of revelry. Two nights later, he heads off with another lithesome beauty not to be seen until mid morning back at our hotel. The rest of us were consumed by a combination of awe and amazement. Here’s a self proclaimed “nebbish” turning women’s heads in a city tilting toward Lapland with a bevy of beautiful blondes.

But before you could say, “I’ll have another shot of frozen Finlandia,” normalcy returned to the north country. After his early successes, our curly haired companion’s luck melted like the ice on a warm May afternoon in Helsinki Harbor. Now rebuffed and rejected at every turn, he quickly turned back into his Orange County persona; his Lothario dalliance, while exciting, had somehow lost its mojo. To my eye, Keith was the personification of this edition of the Carolina Panthers.

Out of the gate faster than George Shinn left Charlotte with his NBA franchise, last Sunday, the Panthers hopes for an undefeated season hit a wall at home against the Titans. This week, the Panthers leave Charlotte for The City That Care Forget to play the Saints, a team whose early failures have made them the anti-Carolina.

Three weeks ago, the two met in Charlotte. In that 19-13 Panther win (and non-cover), the Saints totaled 35 more yards than the home team and Deuce McAllister ran for 124 yards while Aaron Brooks was erratic at best. I could pull out a lot of quotes about revenge, but instead I’ll rely on the fact that a sense of reality may have seeped into the Carolina veneer. And one more thing, isn’t it about time the slipper finally becomes too small for Jake Delhomme?

With a 6-3 mark by the numbers, the mates who remain on board have $510 at their disposal. With a chill in the New England air, thoughts are turning south to an evening of silly drinks and grilled spicy shrimp with mangoes under the stars at La Brisa in the Ocotal Resort high above the Pacific in Costa Rica. To (hopefully) reach that goal, I’m risking $440 on the Saints laying two-points vs. the Panthers this Sunday.
    the original "HuskerFan"

im bettor

thats a solid pick take it to the bank they kill as panthers overrated

Comment

unlike last week, this week i love that play and i feel its the best bet on the board today.....

i hope it comes in....

gl today
      the original "HuskerFan"

Comment

Working...
      X