Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFC Championship Mythbuster: Blitz Warner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFC Championship Mythbuster: Blitz Warner?

This is a f/u on atolunch's post/mythbuster about the myth that it is tough to beat a team three times in one season.

All I seem to read/hear is that the way to beat Arizona/Warner is to blitz and put pressure on him. The Eagles put pressure on the QB as well as anyone, and that seems to be one reason why so many people are on the Eagles this week.

The stats tell a different story. Warner was blitzed more than any QB in the NFL, but according to Stats Inc., LLC (December 12, which is through week 14), Warner led the NFL with a 116.0 passer rating when opponents blitz. He had thrown 13 touchdown passes with only two interceptions and four sacks against 170 blitzes.

Warner has always claimed he likes to be blitzed b/c it opens up the field, and allows his WRs to be in man coverage. He has always been good at reading defenses, and the numbers seem to back up his position.
    Last edited by harold_bush; 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM.

man coverages fitzgerald/boldin/breaston at WR someone has to be open if not then he throws a bomb to fitzgerald which most times is a reception
    NFL...........0-0
    NCAAF ......4-3-1
    NBA...........0-0
    NCAAB.......0-0
    NHL...........0-0
    OVERALL
    0-0
    +70.0dls

110 dls per bet

Comment

Look at the last 3 times warner played the eagles. 12 sacks, 5 picks, 2 lost fumbles. All losses.
      2010: 23-12 +37.8
      2011: 4-0 + 20
      09-11 5*s and up: 34-7

Comment

Those stats tell me he is due

Comment

Originally posted by mark30 View Post
          Look at the last 3 times warner played the eagles. 12 sacks, 5 picks, 2 lost fumbles. All losses.
          I'm a Falcons' fan, and haven't decided which way I'm going on the game yet, so I'm not trying to make a case for them. Simply putting out the info.

Regarding the numbers you put up, the only game that has any relevance is this year's game. The other games mentioned are completely irrelevant considering the last time (prior to this year) he faced them was 2004 on a completely different team. Those game are no more relevant than the two times in 2001 when Warner beat the Eagles.

Warner and Zona are also a WAY better team at home (I believe 7-2 vs. 4-5 on the road). The Cards woes on the east coast games are well documented, and the Cards had like 2 days to prep for the Eagles' blitz schemes in that ealrier game. That experience, a full week of prep, and a home game just makes me think this game will be much tighter than the previous affair.

Again, just pointing out info, as I thought a lot of people have the mistaken impression that Warner can't handle a blitz. The only dog I have in the fight is that one I decide to put my money on, and that hasn't been decided yet.

Comment

I just think everybody is looking to much into the cards last 2 games. If this was a first round match-up would you of taken the cardinals? I doubt it. Just about everyone had the falcons. The Cardinals have looked very good the last 2 weeks. They played the 24th and 16th ranked Defenses. The Eagles on the other hand played 2 top 10's.
            Everybodys big on the Cardinals Offense, they only scored 11 more points than the Eagles.
            To me everything adds up to an Eagles victory. If im wrong then hey stats dont mean anything. Its really going to take the eagles to play like the panthers to lose this game.

Comment

I think the stat is misleading because it simply measures blitzes not "effective blitzes". Of course this would be nearly impossible to measure. The Eagles have the best blitz packages in the league. Even when they rush 4 or 5 they get great pressure.
              Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
              +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
              +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
              +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
              +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
              +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
              +14.7 Units

Comment

I just think everybody is looking to much into the cards last 2 games. If this was a first round match-up would you of taken the cardinals? I doubt it. Just about everyone had the falcons. The Cardinals have looked very good the last 2 weeks. They played the 24th and 16th ranked Defenses. The Eagles on the other hand played 2 top 10's.
                Everybodys big on the Cardinals Offense, they only scored 11 more points than the Eagles.
                To me everything adds up to an Eagles victory. If im wrong then hey stats dont mean anything. Its really going to take the eagles to play like the panthers to lose this game.
                I agree, but I think it cuts both ways. I know some Eagles' fans that don't think the Cards have a chance. This would be MUCH less of an upset than what they just pulled off last week, against a team almost everyone picked to be playing the Superbowl.

Shit, the Falcons should have beaten the Cards. A bomb Fitz pulled down for a TD in double coverage, a 5 yard passed turned into a 70 yard TD to Boldin when Milloy took an atrocious angle on him and couldn't nudge him out of bounds, a botched handoff that popped right into a DL hand's who ran it in for a TD, and a 3rd and 16 converted late in the game b/c dumbass Brooking decided to double team the short guy instead of covering the TE by the first down line. All that just to beat the Falcons by 3? I'm not bitter or anything
                Last edited by harold_bush; 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Your Falcons had a nice year. Matt Ryan looks like the real deal. Turner is a beast. If they bolster there D, they will be a force.

Comment

Your Falcons had a nice year. Matt Ryan looks like the real deal. Turner is a beast. If they bolster there D, they will be a force.
                    Yeah, we all feel really good down here that they are actually building something FINALLY! Never know, but it doesn't feel like the past where make the playoffs one year and then suck the next two years.

Defense will obviously be a focus in the draft and offseason, and with a few pieces we should be alright.

Speaking of games we should have won, we should have beaten your damn Eagles too! Falcons had tham damn game until the bogus call on the punt where they said our return guy touched the ball, when he clearly didn't. Oh well, not bitter!

Comment

I totally agree with you lokio,send the blitz and leave probably the best pair of WR's in single coverage and i believe Warner will make them pay.Cardinals running game has stepped up not to mention there Defense has played Awesome.Im on the Cards

Comment

I'll take my chances with asante samuels and sheldon brown. They do have 1 of the best defensive backfiels in the league.

Comment

Working...
                        X