Some Analysis of the BCS Title Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Analysis of the BCS Title Game

Pretty much everyone probably has their mind made up on this one but here's my analysis anyway I hope it helps a little. I would have to say from the day this game was set the general consensus went from about 50-50 to 60-40 florida. And for a while I fully understood why and I can still see it:

-First and foremost the fiercest competitor in college football Tim Tebow is going to be absolutely fired up after he had to sit next to the sophomore Bradford in New York and watch him win the heisman. Add on the bulletin board material from Franks that Tebow is not even top 3 QB in the country and I expect a fiery veteran performance from Tebow.

-SEC, SEC, SEC - Just IMO a different brand of football this year, they have outclassed pretty much everybody and the Ole Miss game is a great example, but still Florida's schedule begs to differ a little bit. (more on that later)

Defense Wins Championships - I don't think there is any doubt that Florida has the better defense but from looking at the numbers I have to ask by how much? Here's Flordia's games:
    8/30 Hawaii W 56-10
    9/06 Miami W 26-3
    9/20 @ Tennessee W 30-6
    9/27 Mississippi L 31-30
    10/04 @ Arkansas W 38-7
    10/11 No. 4 LSU 5-1 W 51-21
    10/25 Kentucky 6-1 W 63-5
    11/01 vs. No. 6 Georgia 7-1 W 49-10
    11/08 @ Vanderbilt 8-1 W 42-14
    11/15 No. 25 South Carolina 9-1 W 56-6
    11/22 Citadel 10-1 W 70-19
    11/29 @ No. 20 Florida State W 45-15
    12/06 vs. No. 1 Alabama W 31-20

How many of these wins are really impressive? Bama is a great win obviously but as we found out all year their offense was not too potent. Other than that nothing stands out to me as Georgia struggled against Mich State and was not too impressive all year. The LSU win was well before LSU showed their improvement. Florida State is semi-impressive especially because it was late and they played the whole 2nd half without Percy.

Oklahoma played a tougher schedule even in a conference without much defense. Still, Oklahoma's D showed it was able to get some stops against teams with great offenses. Is Oklahoma more motivated from hearing how bad their D is and their losing bowl streak? Probably. Also add in the fact that Okalahoma has significantly more senior contribution and it makes them that much more appealing.

Bottom line, tough game. I will be surprised if this one ends in a rout. This crazy long layoff will affect the offenses early, I see the scoring starting slow before picking up a little bit. However I see Florida in the 31-35 and Oklahoma in the 28-34 range. What combination of that I don't know what I do know is that together those will add up to an under. My numbers show it pretty close percentage wise on the total but you know the public loves to play overs in games like this. Plus the over is down from the open number and is as low as 69 some places, seems to ask for over money. That's where I think vegas will win tonight.

I think these look good:

Under 70

Oklahoma +11 under 76 (6 point teaser)

I would lean to Florida straight but wouldn't be shocked to see OK win this game but Stoops's track record scares me a bit.

GL to all tonight and I hope this helps a bit.

GL tonight and to the forum!!!
    SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Nice analysis.

I have been betting the under in the first 1/2 in many of the bowl games- especially where I like the under for the game. I agree that after a long break teams come out a little slow in the first 1/2. I haven't looked at all the bowl games this year,but my sense is the under in the first 1/2 has covered more often than not. The first 1/2 is usually 1/2 the total for the game and more points seem to be scored in the 2nd.

Comments???

Thanks to all at BC.

Comment

good stuff & good luck !

Comment

Good write up and I am with you on the under, teams have way too much time to prepare, things will be sloppy at first. First half under is my play of the night. It seems things can get crazy in the second halves by either desperation or offenses start clicking. Look for a lot of nerves, false starts ect. first half! GL!!!
          NBA is a joke

Comment

I'm going to jump on the first half under as well. Hopefully by that time I can decide who I think will win and take the value at half.

THanks guys and good luck to all tonight

Comment

I can't believe you tried to make a spread covering machine Florida team seem unimpressive.

Florida 11-1 ATS on season if I'm right I think they were just -24.5 at Vandy.
              Last edited by Letswinalot; 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinalot View Post
                I can't believe you tried to make a spread covering machine Florida team seem unimpressive.

Florida 11-1 ATS on season if I'm right I think they were just -24.5 at Vandy.
                I'm not making them unimpressive, I said I still lean to florida in the game. And I'm not trying to blame florida for their schedule but let's be serious. LSU when they played them was not good. Tenn not good. Arkansas not good. Hawaii Kentucky not good. Citadel. Vanderbilt, south carolina not good. Florida state and bama were good wins. Other than that Florida hasn't played anybody. I'm just saying.

Play the under. Gun to my head straight bet florida. But I'd also take OK +11 anyday.

But yes, Florida and Tebow are impressive. How impressive? I can't wait to find out

Comment

Originally posted by PW52 View Post
                  I'm not making them unimpressive, I said I still lean to florida in the game. And I'm not trying to blame florida for their schedule but let's be serious. LSU when they played them was not good. Tenn not good. Arkansas not good. Hawaii Kentucky not good. Citadel. Vanderbilt, south carolina not good. Florida state and bama were good wins. Other than that Florida hasn't played anybody. I'm just saying.

Play the under. Gun to my head straight bet florida. But I'd also take OK +11 anyday.

But yes, Florida and Tebow are impressive. How impressive? I can't wait to find out

In all those teams you mentioned that were no good, I counted a shit ton of good defensive teams.

Comment

Come on LWA, I don't mind you having a differing opinion but who out of those teams has a good D? Look were talking about what is supposed to be the elite teams in the country here. LSU has a good D but they gave up 31 to ark and 52 to georgia. South carolina let Iowa put up 31 on them.

I don't know maybe I'm too hard on these teams but I'm trying to collect the best info possible, and like weazel said in his post the SEC East was not very good. Again, I don't know maybe I judge these teams too hard but I'm being realistic when I say the Florida does not have too many true quality wins. NOt saying they are not the best team in the country, just saying the rest of the teams are not too great.

Comment

Originally posted by PW52 View Post
                      Come on LWA, I don't mind you having a differing opinion but who out of those teams has a good D? Look were talking about what is supposed to be the elite teams in the country here. LSU has a good D but they gave up 31 to ark and 52 to georgia. South carolina let Iowa put up 31 on them.

I don't know maybe I'm too hard on these teams but I'm trying to collect the best info possible, and like weazel said in his post the SEC East was not very good. Again, I don't know maybe I judge these teams too hard but I'm being realistic when I say the Florida does not have too many true quality wins. NOt saying they are not the best team in the country, just saying the rest of the teams are not too great.

Tennessee was one of the best D's in the country, especcially considering that their O would leave them on the field for 40 minutes a game. SC, LSU had good D's, Vandy did too. Thats 4. GA's is OK.

All those teams will hit you in the mouth. These Big 12 teams don't like to tackle much.

Comment

Ole Miss too. They got speed and a great DLine thanks to Coach Oregeron.

Comment

I agree that big 12 teams are not nearly as physical however I think if there is one exception its OK. I never mentioned Ole Miss becasue well, Ole miss looked like they were one of the best teams in the country a couple times this year (Fla, t tech). Tennessee good d or not, sucks. Talent wise Vandy cannot beat florida with 12 guys on d.

I've been thinking Florida for two weeks now but I just think with all this money coming in on Florida and all this line movement it is a little scary. Like many others have said, I don't think either side play is a lock. I love the under, both for the game and the first half. Can we agree on that LWA? Or do you think florida is going to score 50?

Comment

gl pw
                            NFL...........0-0
                            NCAAF ......4-3-1
                            NBA...........0-0
                            NCAAB.......0-0
                            NHL...........0-0
                            OVERALL
                            0-0
                            +70.0dls

110 dls per bet

Comment

I honestly think Oklahoma can score 30+ points, but FLA can win this game, so I guess I like Over.

I get it at 68.5 too, OMG line movement down 1.5 points since this morning, I must fade the public and do over like a zombie. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X