How Can Tuberville Be Canned When......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lanai View Post
    Being from Hawaii and watching the Warriors battle Fresno every year, I've come to appreciate Pat Hill as a coach. He's tough, hard-nosed and about as no-nonsense as they come and generally, his teams reflect his personality. He plays a tough non-conference schedule and never backs down from a challenge. He has turned out a number of quality NFL players (Dilfer, Volek, Berrian to name a few) and has a couple of prospects this year in Pascoe, Ajirotutu and Matthews. He recruits his area well.

It seems to me, that Fresno really hasn't been the same team since they lost that game to USC (was it last year or two years ago) that they controlled most of the way. They tanked the rest of that season and it seems that they've never quite gotten over that loss as a program. I don't know if the program needs a new HC, but a return to the smash-mouth philosophy on offense would be a good start. They seem to be playing more of a finesse type of offense (spread formations, passing) than the more traditional power offense they've run over the years. And Brandstater just isn't very good.... I've never been very impressed with him, but he keeps getting mentioned as a pro prospect just because of his prototypical size/strength.

Anyway, that's my scatterbrained take on the Hill situation. I for one, think the WAC takes a big hit if he leaves.
    He gets ripped ever year by Boise. His teams seem to fall apart at the end of each season.

Doesn't winning count for something? So he wins the Grapefruit Bowl, so what?

My point is I'm amazed that this mediocre coach never gets canned while guys who have won national titles get bounced.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
      So he wins the Grapefruit Bowl, so what?

Comment

Pat Hill = Joe Tiller

Comment

He gets ripped ever year by Boise. His teams seem to fall apart at the end of each season.

Doesn't winning count for something? So he wins the Grapefruit Bowl, so what?

My point is I'm amazed that this mediocre coach never gets canned while guys who have won national titles get bounced.
          And how did Bob Stoops do against Boise St?

Your point about him being mediocre is off. Again, he has one of the, if not the, best records against BCS teams than any other non BCS school in the country.

He is a candidate for top coaching positions every year. This year it was Wash and he gave them an ultimatum. Last couple of years, it's been pro teams and a couple of top college programs. Do you think they all see a mediocre coach? Why does he get flown in to interview at all these top programs? Because he's mediocre?

It's called doing pretty damn good with mediocre talent. And turning that mediocre talent into pro players to boot. Not to mention, his former assistant coaches are all over the country in coaching positions.....Lanai was right on the money.

I'm a little down on him as well, but I wouldn't call him mediocre. Fresno's recruiting base is one of the toughest ones. Calif.

KAZ
          [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Kaz

As a Fresno fan, I'm just surprised your Ok with Hill's record especially since fans of other programs have gotten to be lunatics over this stuff.

I'm not suggesting you emulate the moronic fans of Auburn or the goofs from Notre Dame who think they should win the BCS every year; I'm just wondering why you guys are OK with never winning your own league.

As for the record against BCS schools; who cares????

Isn't winning your conference games more important. And Oklahoma didn't get wiped out by Boise. What happened last week was a team that flat out quit. I blame that on the coach.

Comment

Kaz

As a Fresno fan, I'm just surprised your Ok with Hill's record especially since fans of other programs have gotten to be lunatics over this stuff.

I'm not suggesting you emulate the moronic fans of Auburn or the goofs from Notre Dame who think they should win the BCS every year; I'm just wondering why you guys are OK with never winning your own league.

Isn't winning your conference games more important. And Oklahoma didn't get wiped out by Boise. What happened last week was a team that flat out quit. I blame that on the coach.
              Honestly, it's probably time for a change at Fresno. I have my moments with Hill. I've talked to him and he's a bit jaded now. He knows that Fresno needs to be in the Pac10. But their academics and 40k seat stadium will probably keep them out. The PAc10 should bring Boise and Fresno into that conference and make it the Pac12 so they can have a championship format with two divisions of 6 teams. But they won't. FFresno is in a great location to play Cal, Stanford, USC and Ucla. Fresno brought 25k fans to UCLA and helped to sell out the Rose Bowl this year in their game against the Bruins.....

And is winning the conference that important? Why? Boise St won the conference title, went undefeated and where did that end them? On the fucking outside looking in. NO BCS game. That's what coaches in the WAC have to contend with. "hey, come to Fresno and go undefeated and end up in Podunk ville's Bowl game." Fresno's ONLY chance is to go undefeated and play one of the toughest nonconference schedules in the country. Which they did. But their non Conference schedule killed them. More travel miles than any team in the country and numerous injuries. They never got back on their feet. Don't forget, they beat Rutgers at Rutgers to begin the season and should have beaten Wisky at home. Then they beat UCLA and so on....

But I see your point, but he's not a mediocre coach. When he leaves, and his contract is up in 2010, he will land somewhere higher up on the food chain than Fresno. Mark my words....

KAZ
              Last edited by KazDog; 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM.
              [email protected]

Comment

Kaz

And just to note. I don't think they quit against Boise. I think they left all they had on the field in the first half and had nothing left. A few quick turnovers and a couple of quick TD's by Boise and the route was on. It happened so quick, the players didn't know what hit them. I think that was just the end to a long season for Fresno, with injuries and long travel miles and expectations of being a BCS bowl team not panning out.....

KAZ
                [email protected]

Comment

as a use to be tv actor and a washed up ex-coach,i find all this talk disturbing............signed hoss cartwright fulmer,anybody seen hop seng,i sure could use some shrimp egg foo yung !!
                  DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Working...
                  X