Clear All

• CFB Fri/Sat

CFB YTD 20-12 +9.5 units
    2* 5-2 +5.6 units
    1* 15-10 +3.9 units

CFB/NFL Combined 27-18 +9.5 units
    2* 7-4 +5.0 units
    1* 20-14 +4.5 units

I went 1-2 last weekend in CFB as I didn't find much I liked and it showed. This weekend is just the opposite. I came up with 15 games, forced myself to throw out 4 and am using the next six as opinions. My top five are the star rated plays.

FRIDAY:

1* Boise State -24 1/2
    Everybody knows about Boise's dominance at home where they've never lost a conference game. Hawaii is coming off a hard fought win at home after their big road upset at Fresno. They are an inexperienced team due for an emotional and physical letdown. Boise is still scoring as many points as ever but the key is they have a great defense. They've given up only 56 points in five games and 32 of them were to Oregon!!!
    Hawaii probably won't get to 10.

SATURDAY:

2* South Carolina +3 1/2
    LSU is due for a big letdown after seeing their perfect season go away last weekend in the blowout at Florida. LSU hasn't beaten a single decent team all year and the win over Auburn doesn't look so special anymore. SC's offense is gradually improving but its defense has been outstanding. They're getting a little better every week and are poised to pull a big home upset over a very overrated team. (NOTE: There are still some 3 1/2's out there and I got one but consider buying the hook if you're stuck with 3.)

1* Virginia Tech +3 (-120)
    I think V-Tech is a lot better team than Boston College and they ought to be favored even though this is a road game. They've already won road games at Nebraska and North Carolina. BC is another overrated team that hasn't beaten anyone remotely good. They lost at home to Georgia Tech, a team V-Tech beat at home.

1* California -2
    Not to be a broken record, but I'm going against another overrated team that hasn't beaten anyone. Arizona is not a Pac-10 contender while Cal remains one of the best teams in the league. They have wins over a really good Michigan State team and beat an Arizona State team last week that desperately needed a win. They should win by at least 10 here.

1* SMU +13
    This could be an outright upset. SMU gets a little better every week under June Jones' system and played an excellent Tulsa team very tough last week after playing decently on the road against both Central Florida and Tulane. Houston's defense isn't that good and SMU is getting a lot better at running the run-and-shoot.

Opinions only:
    (in order of preference and I like them all)
    Duke
    Missouri
    Kentucky
    Rutgers
    Iowa State
    Utah

Originally posted by griswold View Post
    FRIDAY:

1* Boise State -24 1/2
    Everybody knows about Boise's dominance at home where they've never lost a conference game. Hawaii is coming off a hard fought win at home after their big road upset at Fresno. They are an inexperienced team due for an emotional and physical letdown. Boise is still scoring as many points as ever but the key is they have a great defense. They've given up only 56 points in five games and 32 of them were to Oregon!!!
    Hawaii probably won't get to 10.
    Yeah, I'm a homer, but just another point of view here. Hawaii may be turning the corner here and has a chance, albeit a very small one, of pulling the upset here. The offense is inexperienced at key positions, but the D is mostly intact from last year and is very experienced and very motivated to defend the WAC title. After a miserable start, they've forced 10 TO's w/ a +8 TO ratio the past two games and are putting more pressure on the QB. Defense will keep everything in front and try to tackle well and limit the big plays that Boise is so well known for. Special teams are better than in the JJ era having returned a kickoff for a TD and blocked 2 FG's the last two weeks.

Offense is different, offering much more balance than before. I believe they racked up 177 rushing yards last week against LaTech. New RB coach has the RB's playing much more hard-nosed than in years past.... blocking is more aggressive and so is the running. RB's are getting downhill faster and breaking more tackles. QB Funaki is a dynamic athlete, can scramble with the best of them and is strong and quick. Not the greatest arm/accuracy, but last week he really started to see the field and go through his progressions. He's learned to throw it away instead of forcing the pass and getting picked.

In any case, the new running game will help shorten the game and increase the chances of the score staying within the number. Just my .02. Take from it what you will.

Love that SCar play as well!

Comment

good luck gris and thanks for the writh up's i like so c. a lot
      jt4545

Fat Tuesday's - Home

Comment

BOL this week gris!!!
        SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Best of Luck Gris!!!

Comment

i had not looked at your thread till now,but you have two of my 4 early picks,in your official late plays or opinions,that always makes me feel good-GOOD LUCK VEGAS VACATION !!
            DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Good luck, Gris!

Comment

thanks for the early post --- gl this weekend

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

good luck in tha NCAA this week, Griz!

Comment

GL Gris on the action this week

Comment

Good luck with the plays!

Comment