Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Clueless Media

On Foxsports.com they have the following headline:

A Tragic Hero! Matt Bryant overcame his personal pain and helped the Bucs STUN the Packers.
    Bucs were 1 point favorites. How did the Bucs STUN the Packers?

I was listening to the end of this game on Sunday. The Buc's radio announcers were basically comparing Bryant's game on Sunday to Favre's game after Favre's dad died. In no way do I want to trivialize Bryant's tragedy. But there's no comparison.

I laugh each time I hear an ESPN sports anchor say Team A upsets Team B when Team A is favored. It happens fairly often in college football when I ranked team loses to an unranked team even when the ranked team is a dog.

Comment

Everyone suffers tragedies in life, the media loves tragedy. Life goes on and we move forward. It is just a kick thru the uprights. Life is more important than football.
      NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
        The Buc's radio announcers were basically comparing Bryant's game on Sunday to Favre's game after Favre's dad died. In no way do I want to trivialize Bryant's tragedy. But there's no comparison.
        I understand your point about the media's reporting of favorites, dogs, upsets, etc....but how is there 'no comparison' between the two situations you reference, Frank? Both men showed up and did their jobs well in the immediate wake of a profound, devastating loss.

Comment

Wow, coming from a guy with children this very surprising. One guy loses his father while another loses his new born son. I hate to compare the 2 but losing your child would seem much more painful. My baby has only been here for 2.5 months and if something would happen like what happened to Bryant I wouldn't be able to get out of bed let alone go to work.

Comment

Frank B

I laugh each time I hear an ESPN sports anchor say Team A upsets Team B when Team A is favored. It happens fairly often in college football when I ranked team loses to an unranked team even when the ranked team is a dog.
            that is also my favorite.....Team B ranked 22nd, Team A not ranked, but oddsmakers have Team A as an 8 pt favorite, and the announcers rant on about a big upset....

That is hilarious to me.....

Example my daughter in law was here last weekend, when I made the statement, I'm pulling for Team A, and the announcer was saying the same shit....Big upset....she turns to me, and said, I thought you played the fav, how can that be an upset....

Litttle do they know sometimes....or maybe they're limited in saying.....Ranked fav, vs oddsmakers fav...

Probably so, but it is funny to me...

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike
              Wow, coming from a guy with children this very surprising. One guy loses his father while another loses his new born son. I hate to compare the 2 but losing your child would seem much more painful. My baby has only been here for 2.5 months and if something would happen like what happened to Bryant I wouldn't be able to get out of bed let alone go to work.

I agree that losing a 6 month old would be much more tragic than losing a parent who has lived a pretty full life. A parent should never have to bury a child, that is the worst.
              NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike
                I never said losing a child is more or less devastating than losing a father. I don't find anything heroic about moving on with life and continue to face everyday responsibilities. At the same time IMO one can't compare a kicker's accomplishments with those of an NFL QB.

Listening to the Buc's radio broadcast on Sunday one would have thought Bryant's achievements should go down along with some of the greatest sports achievements ever accomplished. Bryant kicked a 24 yard go ahead FG with 2:26 remaining in the game. The way the announcers carried on one would have thought he kicked a 64 yard FG with no time remaining on the clock to win the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by garth
                  I understand your point about the media's reporting of favorites, dogs, upsets, etc....but how is there 'no comparison' between the two situations you reference, Frank? Both men showed up and did their jobs well in the immediate wake of a profound, devastating loss.
                  Agreed! Both showed up and did their job. Let's forget in those games both players experienced devastating losses. If it was your everyday average game they'd be no comparison. Favre passed for 399 yards and four touchdowns. Bryant kicked 3 PATs and 3 FGs of which the longest being 36 yards.

Comment

On Foxsports.com they have the following headline:

Bucs were 1 point favorites. How did the Bucs STUN the Packers?

I was listening to the end of this game on Sunday. The Buc's radio announcers were basically comparing Bryant's game on Sunday to Favre's game after Favre's dad died. In no way do I want to trivialize Bryant's tragedy. But there's no comparison.
                    If you thought that was bad, did you notice on the bottom ticker last night talking about the player from Jax? It was saying that he was in good condition. Yeah, paralyzed from the waist down, and having your left leg amputated doesn't sound like good condition to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X