X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd Jones retiring

Former Tigers closer Jones retiring after 16 seasons

ESPN.com news services

Todd Jones has closed his last game in Major League Baseball.

The former Tigers closer wrote in his Sporting News column that he plans to announce his retirement after this season.

"So this is it," Jones wrote in this week's magazine. "If you're a Tigers fan, I'll never stress you out again. If you're not a Tigers fan, you'll never have me as your ace in the hole, convinced I'll blow a lead against your team."

The 40-year-old Jones was injured for much of the second half of this season and he revealed to The Sporting News that he was pitching with a frayed labrum.

Jones is 4-1 with a 4.97 ERA and 18 saves in 21 chances this season. He started the season as Detroit's closer, but was removed from that role July 26.

He will retire as the Tigers' career leader in saves with 235. He has 319 career saves in 16 seasons with Detroit, Houston, Minnesota, Colorado, Boston, Cincinnati, Philadelphia and Florida.

bout frickin time lol. good career for him though, all the best, hes an all around good guy I hear. RIP JONES
    Proud Member on Bettorschat.com since March 10, 2006

Overall since 9/1/09- 39-30-1 +1.14 units ($114.40)
    1 unit=$100.00

Updated through Nov 18th 2009 @ 1:09AM est

Comment

Bout time...dude cost me so much money when betting on the Tigers and his blown saves!!!
      SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Working...
      X