X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders to Fire Kiffin

Report: Raiders to fire Kiffin
    1 hour, 21 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintLOS ANGELES (TICKER) —It appears Al Davis has finally seen enough of the Lane Kiffin era.

The Oakland Raiders are expected to fire their head coach on Monday, according to a report on FOXSports.com. ESPN is also reporting a coaching change will take place.

If a move is made, it will end a tumultuous 20-month tenure for the 33-year-old Kiffin, who was hired in January 2007 and became the youngest head coach in NFL history.

Following a last-second loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Kiffin was asked if the possibility of losing his job was on his mind.

“No, I wasn’t thinking that. I don’t even think about that, because what is that going to do?” he said. “I’m going to watch the film on the way home, like I always do, and see how we can get better. I can’t be thinking about other stuff.”

The former offensive coordinator for Southern California, Kiffin guided the Raiders to a 4-12 record in his first season after the team won two of their first four games. Oakland had gone 2-14 in the previous campaign under Art Shell.

But Davis was not satisfied with the two-game improvement and the 79-year-old owner reportedly wrote up a resignation letter for Kiffin to sign - only to have the coach refuse.

After the Raiders were embarrassed, 41-14, in their season-opening loss to Denver, Kiffin again came under fire as rumors swirled of a coaching change.

The Raiders bounced back to defeat the Kansas City Chiefs, 23-8, a week ago, but blew a nine-point, fourth-quarter lead in dropping a 24-23 decision to the Bills on a last-second field goal.

After almost beating Buffalo they should wait a little while longer.

Comment

So stupid. Firing football coaches during the season makes no sense. This isn't baseball or hockey where guys can get the axe at any time and you can turn things around. Football is so much more complicated and requires so much more planning and prep work. I'm a Skins fan and when Dan Snyder canned Norv Turner with 2 games left in the 2000 season, it was a complete disaster. But of course this is Al Davis who could care less as long as he gets to bully people around. That organization is a disgrace and will be until the Crypt Keeper is done.

Comment

Bon Voyage...This guy is so fucking soft its rediculous. I go to every home game, and have had to listen to this little boy explain all of our 4th quarter blown leads the last 2 years. The play calling is beyond conservative. I know the guy is just trying to keep us in football games, but he just doesn't seem to have any fire. I'm sure a lot of great coaches keep their composure at all times but I mean come on Lane, raise your voice ONE time, let out a swear word. At least Rob Ryan shows passion, heart, and appears able to fire his defense up. Kiffin just seems resigned to whatever fate the game turns into. Not to mention at this point it's just unfair to the team and Kiffin to keep saying we're gonna fire him, if he's gonna go let him go and lets start moving on.
        Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

I love it. That organization is a mess. I love cause I am here in San Diego and hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by thaikarate1
            I love it. That organization is a mess. I love cause I am here in San Diego and hate them.
            Fair enough.

But I had a secret joy when you guys took Norv Turner off our hands. You will never win a super bowl with him at the helm.
            Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Please send Al Davis to the Detroit Lions for a few days, plenty of firing to do here!

Comment

LMAO at hockeytown and the ELJUGO/TK exchange.

Too funny

Me on the other hand, I'm a niner fan and finally glad to be one, I see good things this year starting with a nice road upset at New Orleans

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeytown
                  Please send Al Davis to the Detroit Lions for a few days, plenty of firing to do here!
                  I hear you Hock.... Matt Millan got to go!!!

Rock

Comment

Originally posted by ELJUGO
                    Fair enough.

But I had a secret joy when you guys took Norv Turner off our hands. You will never win a super bowl with him at the helm.
                    he have this year to do it or he is out too!

Comment

Working...
                    X