• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schilling Blasts Ex-Teammant Manny

Schilling blasts ex-teammate Ramirez for behavior in Boston
    Sep. 18, 2008
    CBSSports.com wire reports

BOSTON -- Injured Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said former teammate Manny Ramirez's behavior in Boston was a drain on his teammates and disrespectful to manager Terry Francona.

Speaking on a Boston radio station Wednesday, Schilling said Ramirez's "level of disrespect to teammates and people was unfathomable."

Although he was the first Red Sox World Series MVP in franchise history, Ramirez caused more than his share of problems, with trade demands and nagging or phantom injuries that led him to ask out of the lineup. Schilling, who is close friends with Francona, said the manager had to play Ramirez because of his talent but it undermined the team's unity.

"I was a teammate, a member of this family, and I saw it," Schilling said after acknowledging that he has been away from the team most of the season because of a shoulder injury. "And to me, it was always those guys, the guys who played a crucial role on teams that weren't the marquee players, are the ones that were disrespected the most."

Ramirez, who is in the last year of a contract that paid him $160 million over eight years, was sent to the Los Angeles Dodgers at the trade deadline. Since then, he is batting .400 with 14 homers and 44 RBI in 44 games.

"He was very kind, and well-mannered, but there were spurts and times when you didn't know who he was," Schilling said. "You know, he was always kind and nice for the most part, but he'd show up the next day and say, 'I'm through with this team, I want out now.'"

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Why does Schilling always have to run his mouth and be in the spotlight? He hasn't played this year, the BoSox traded Manny more than a month ago, let it be already. If he had come out and said something back then, fine. Why come out and shoot your mouth off now?

Comment

Curt is an attention whore, not to mention a slapdick!! He waits to talk smack about people after they are no longer on the team. Manny would beat his ass if he was still on the Sox.

Comment

Curt needs to stfu and stop taking shots at players from the sidelines and begin retirement. Manny is one of the best pure hitters of this era.
        MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

what Schilling says...this guy has a comment on everything, he's a classic "know it all" who has an opinion he's willing to share about everything.

Bottom line is Manny is playing out of this world so of course people will be taking shots at him.
          Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmoneyasians
            Why does Schilling always have to run his mouth and be in the spotlight? He hasn't played this year, the BoSox traded Manny more than a month ago, let it be already. If he had come out and said something back then, fine. Why come out and shoot your mouth off now?
            Because he can't stand that he's out of the spotlight. He's also jealous and envious of Manny's success and exposure.

Comment

Not to mention the guy's a fraud! The blood on the sock was a hoax.
              Last edited by frankb03; 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I am sure a lot of what Schilling says is probably true about Manny
                However, at this point, it serves no purpose for him to talk about it.
                Everyone or at least every Sox fan knows why Sox and Manny parted ways;for Schilling to rehash it at this point no serves but to put the emphasis on and make Schilling the center of attention, which as we all knows, he craves.

Comment

Shilling has always been a dickhead!! End of story!

Comment

I agree with 99% of what has been said about Schilling. In his defense, he was asked a specific question about how Manny was and acted when he was here. Now as we all know, Schilling could have taken the high road and said nothing but we also know that is not Curt's style. As much as he pisses me off with his mouth at times, i think it is also refreshing at times to hear athletes actually speak their mind instead of giving the same programmed answers. How else would you ever know some of the things done? Many were very tired of Manny and i'm sure Curt is probably right on the money with what he says. I knew he was going to get alot more backlash by saying it but i did find many of the things he said during the interview to be interesting. Most i had never known or heard about and that is probably why i find alot of that "Inside" stuff interesting.

Comment

Schilling also said Manny was the only guy that had his locker in a seperate room of the clubhouse (ala Barry Bonds). He said he used to go in there to do his thing while the others were all together in the clubhouse at their spot getting ready for games.

I was very shocked to hear that. The only other person i ever heard of having a seperate room and locker to themselves was Barry Bonds. Most did and still Crush Barry Bonds for that.

Comment

A friend of mine played ball with Manny as a child up through the time he was 14. He said "Manny being Manny" is because Manny has issues and takes medication to control it. He ain't right. So I say everyone (owners, managers, other players)has known for years he ain't right in the head. So what is the big deal? He is still a future HOF and great player. Screwed up yes, but still great. A nut yes, but everyone knows and has known, who cares. And I too think Shilling is an asshole, but they asked him a question (the real issue is why anyone in the media still asks him a question), and he gave a direct answer. To me that is better then the PC TV speak most athletes give (one game at a time, just trying to help the team, blah blah blah).
                        2012 - 2013 NCAAF

21 - 20 - 0

2012 - 2013 NFL

14 - 10 - 1

Comment

I am going to revise my statement a bit;I didn't realize as Wayne and billmil pointed out, that Schilling's response was in answer to a directquestion-in my mind there is a big difference between just running your mouth and answering a question honestly(that is honestly as HE sees it).
                          Thus, I agree wholeheartedly with Wayne's response.
                          If you want to knock someone, then knock the guy who asked the question in the first place.
                          Last edited by savage1; 09-19-2008, 07:06 PM.

Comment

PS-Manny may be on the other coast, but I am sure he has ears, can read and/or has informants;let him refute the charges if they are not true or at least give his side of it.
                            Can you imagine how lopsided the Presidential Election would be if one side made charges against the other, and the latter didn't refute them and/or fire back something in return?
                            Last edited by savage1; 09-19-2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I agree, that fuck needs to shut the fuck up!

Comment

Working...
                              X