Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking sports news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEC places 5 teams in top 10 of AP poll

NEW YORK (AP)—The Southeastern Conference has taken over the top 10 in The Associated Press college football poll as no league has ever done before.

On Sunday, the SEC became the first conference to place five team among the first 10 in the AP Top 25.

Southern California is now a no-doubt-about-it No. 1 and Oklahoma moved into the No. 2 spot for the first time this season, slipping ahead of Georgia in the media poll.

The Bulldogs barely got past South Carolina 14-7 on Saturday and the Sooners notched their third consecutive blowout victory, winning 55-14 at Washington.

Georgia is the first preseason No. 1 since Oklahoma in 1985 to start the season with three consecutive victories and still drop as far as No. 3.

“I’m not surprised that it could happen, because you’ve seen it happen before,” Georgia coach Mark Richt said. “Everybody wants to kind of settle in and see where everybody thinks everybody belongs. It’s hard. Shoot, I’m a voter too. It’s hard on everybody.”

Georgia also fell behind USC and Oklahoma in the USA Today coaches’ poll.

The Bulldogs shouldn’t fret. They’ll have plenty of opportunities to make up what they’ve lost in the rankings when they play the other SEC’s four other top-10 teams. Florida is No. 4, LSU is sixth, Alabama is No. 9 and Auburn is 10.

The Trojans’ resounding 35-3 victory against Ohio State on Saturday night made them an overwhelming No. 1 in their third week atop the poll. USC received 61 first-place votes and 1,596 points. The Trojans had 33 first-place votes last week.

Georgia received two first-place votes this week, and Florida got one.

The rest of the top 10 was Missouri at No. 5, Texas at No. 7—giving the Big 12 three teams in the top 10—and Wisconsin at No. 8.

Ohio State dropped eight spots to No. 13.

Two Pac-10 teams dropped out after losing: California and Arizona State.

Clemson moved back into the rankings. The Tigers started the season ranked ninth and fell all the way out after losing their opener 34-10 to Alabama, and returned as No. 23.

Florida State moved into the Top 25 for the first time since the middle of last season. The Seminoles were No. 24.

Texas Tech is No. 11, followed by South Florida, Ohio State, BYU and East Carolina, which slipped one spot to No. 15 after squeaking past Tulane 28-24 in its first game as a ranked team since 1999.

Penn State was No. 16 and Oregon was 17th, followed by Wake Forest, Kansas and Utah.

The final five were West Virginia, Illinois, Clemson, Florida State and Fresno State, which lost 13-10 to Wisconsin and dropped four spots.

AP Sports Writer Charles Odum in Atlanta contributed to this report.

When the ACC and Big ten suck as bad as they do this year,I can see how it could happen.Look at Ohio state.They suck.Did anyone else see the stat during the USC game Saturday night.It was like 24 points margin of victory for USC over big 10 teams the last 8 years.Big ten teams look good against each other but when they have to play the big boys(look at last 2 national championship games)they cant hang.

Comment

It's all cyclical...at some point in the near future, ones on top move down & others move up.
      FUCK YOU, FUCK ME

Comment

If USC started as #1 and did what georgia did to start this season, they would still be #1. Its the media cock-sucking that the USC's, Ohio States & Michigans get year after year. These polls suck pole.

The Big 10 sucks
        The Pac 10 sucks
        The ACC sucks
        The goobers who vote for these polls suck pole too

The SEC is and has been the best conference IMO for many years now
        Last edited by insidethe8thpol; 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM.
        He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

Hard not to compare the Big 12 up there with the SEC as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
            I would rate them right behind the SEC
            He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21

The Big 12 is a lot toughter this year but hard to rank them ahead of the SEC...

Comment

Originally posted by shoeman530
                The Big 12 is a lot toughter this year but hard to rank them ahead of the SEC...
                I agree.Ok,Mizzou,Texas and Kansas could play with alot of the teams in the SEC.Alot of this will change before long though because the SEC just beats up on each other.Lsu or Auburn will be out this week.

Comment

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO TELL US REDS12 WAS NOT CAPPING ANYMORE,i was getting ready to turn in my papers-LOL !!
                  DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Originally posted by WayneChung
                    I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO TELL US REDS12 WAS NOT CAPPING ANYMORE,i was getting ready to turn in my papers-LOL !!
                    As long as the NHL is in business (which hopefully wont be much longer) I will be capping. Oh yea and CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnyvegas
                      It's all cyclical...at some point in the near future, ones on top move down & others move up.
                      Hell, Last year midway through there was a new #1 every week!

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
                      When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
                      Jon E. Checkers

Comment

Working...
                      X