X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kotsay traded to Red Sox

Braves deal outfielder Kotsay to Red Sox

Associated Press

Red Sox Aquire Mark KotsayATLANTA -- Center fielder Mark Kotsay was acquired by the Red Sox from the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday, only one day after Boston put J.D. Drew on the 15-day disabled list because of a lower back strain.

The 32-year-old Kotsay hit .289 with six home runs and 37 runs batted in 88 games with the Braves.

He was scratched from Tuesday night's starting lineup, raising speculation that a trade was pending. Kotsay then pinch hit and walked in the ninth inning.

"I'd have to say it's my weirdest night as a professional in the big leagues," Kotsay said after the game. "I've never been scratched for that type of reason.

"I knew there was a possibility, so it wasn't a complete shock when I got called in and was told I would be scratched from the lineup due to precautionary reasons. The club was in discussions for possibly moving me."

Kotsay thought ahead to possibly joining the Red Sox.

"If that's the case, if I'm moved to a club that has postseason possibilities, you can't be disappointed as a player," he said. "I've had a lot of fun here and I've been happy with Bobby [Cox] and the organization."

The Braves acquired minor league outfielder Luis Sumoza in the deal. The 20-year-old hit .301 in 51 games for Class A Lowell of the New York-Penn League this season.

Atlanta obtained Kotsay from Oakland on Jan. 14. Coming off back surgery, he hit only .214 with one homer in 56 games for Oakland last year.

Kotsay has a .282 career batting average with 109 homers and 597 RBIs.

I like the move. Tampa could have used him.

Comment

Tampa is having an incredible year, but for the most part they haven't acquired any september/postseason help. If Baldelli stays heealthy and productive, Tampa will look like smart.

Comment

Originally posted by DDP713
        Tampa is having an incredible year, but for the most part they haven't acquired any september/postseason help. If Baldelli stays heealthy and productive, Tampa will look like smart.

We don't know that. A couple of deals were thought to be going to T.B. and teams in front of them like Boston and Detroit have blocked them. I think the Rays ARE trying to add people but too many people in front of them are not letting it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
          We don't know that. A couple of deals were thought to be going to T.B. and teams in front of them like Boston and Detroit have blocked them. I think the Rays ARE trying to add people but too many people in front of them are not letting it happen.

I dont think Kotsay will help anyone He is average at best
          MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
          HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
          0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
            I dont think Kotsay will help anyone He is average at best

AGREED

Comment

Kotsay isn't bad as a 5th outfielder!

Comment

I dont understand why other teams dont block these types of moves

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
                  Kotsay isn't bad as a 5th outfielder!

now thats funny
                  MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
                  HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
                  0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
                    I dont understand why other teams dont block these types of moves

who would block a 5th outfielder trade ?

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
                      now thats funny

ditto

Comment

Working...
                      X