BUSTED!!! JGR facing Nationwide penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUSTED!!! JGR facing Nationwide penalties

Two Joe Gibbs Racing Nationwide Series cars that have dominated the competition could be penalized after NASCAR officials said late Saturday the teams had attempted to alter the outcome of a chassis dyno test, the Charlotte Observer reported.

The Nos. 18 and 20 Toyotas were tested Saturday on the chassis dynamometer, which measures rear-wheel horsepower. Officials have administered the test several times this season.

The two Toyotas in question have combined to win 13 of 25 races in the 2008 season, with the most recent being Kyle Busch's victory in Clermont, Ind., late last month.

During the test, the paper reported, officials discovered magnets on the accelerator pedals of the two Gibbs cars. Sources said the magnets could keep the pedals from being fully depressed, which would lower the engines' output during testing.

"This was an attempt to interfere with NASCAR's post-race inspection process, and we are taking it very seriously," said Jim Hunter, NASCAR vice president of corporate communications.

Hunter said both teams face penalties to be announced later this week.

JGR spokesperson Mike Arning told the paper late Saturday that team officials felt that they were within the rules.

Someone please tell me what a magnet under the gas pedal does to alter the outcome of a chassis dyno test.

But first, tell me what a chassis dyno test is...

Comment

chassis dyno test for rear wheel horsepower. The magnet keeps the pedal from going all the way to the floorboard. Therefore not letting the engine go at 100%, so their true horsepower wont be known.

Sidebar---I'm hearing that Tony Stewart and Joey Logano put the magnets under the pedals when the race was over. This could get very ugly!!! But what the hell IT AINT CHEATING UNTILL YOU GET CAUGHT!!!

Comment

CHEATERS! It won't be long until it spills over into the Cup cars also.Can't wait to see all these Kyle bandwagon jumpers jump ship when he's just an average driver wrecking every other week.

Comment

You ain't cheatin', you ain't racin'

Comment

Stewart, Logano each docked 150 points; seven JGR members suspended

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Seven team members of Joe Gibbs Racing have been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR after an attempt to distort engine power in a dynamometer test following Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Michigan International Speedway.

Tony Stewart, who drove the No. 20 car at Michigan, and Joey Logano in the 18 were docked 150 championship points and placed on probation through the end of this year. Team owner Joe Gibbs also was penalized 150 points on both of the entries.

In addition, crew chiefs Jason Ratcliff of the No. 18 and Dave Rogers of the No. 20 have been fined $50,000 each and indefinitely suspended from NASCAR duties.

Dorian Thorsen, engine tuner Michael Johnson and crew member Toby Bigelow of the 18 also were placed on indefinite suspension.

From the No. 20 team, car chief Richard Bray and engine tuner Dan Bajek have been indefinitely suspended.

Both teams have been placed on probation through the end of the year.

The penalties are unprecedented for the Nationwide Series.

NASCAR determined after the race that a magnetic spacer was attached under the gas pedal of both cars for the intent of compromising the chassis dynamometer test.

The infraction came several weeks after NASCAR ordered that all Toyotas use a smaller spacer that would knock about 15 horsepower from their engines.

Toyota had won 14 of 21 races, all but one in a Camry fielded by JGR, before the mandate. It won the first race after the cutback with Kyle Busch at Indianapolis.

The 20 car was first in owner points, 318 ahead of the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing car before the penalty. The 18, running a part-time schedule, was 27th in points.

J.D. Gibbs had several meetings with NASCAR about the decision. He argued that the engines were legal and that the team was being penalized for working hard to generate more horsepower than the competition.

Other owners argued that the Toyota engine design allowed for more horsepower than the engines of Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford would allow.

Gibbs made it clear he had no knowledge of the attempt to alter the results of the dynamometer test and that the organization would take its own action against the guilty parties after an internal investigation was complete.

David Newton ****** NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

Comment

Wow, NASCAR is not happy!

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                Wow, NASCAR is not happy!
                To all Kyle Busch bandwagon jumpers:I would jump off faster than I jumped on Shit has hit the fan and his dream season is coming to an end.Carl,Dale and Jimmy will battle it out in the chase

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan
                  To all Kyle Busch bandwagon jumpers:I would jump off faster than I jumped on Shit has hit the fan and his dream season is coming to an end.Carl,Dale and Jimmy will battle it out in the chase

I thought you quit smoking shit?

Comment

Working...
                  X