Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LeBron James to follow Childress to Europe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeBron James to follow Childress to Europe ?

Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more

Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

James
    A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

But losing a player of James's magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the Players Association official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would only play in Europe for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James's stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the Players Association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc..."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

If he gets offered 50 mil I say go for it.
    Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Since free agency began July 1, Boykins is the ninth player who worked in the NBA last season to bypass the tight free-agent market for role players at home and head overseas. Yet he's just the third -- following Josh Childress and Carlos Arroyo -- who played almost exclusively in the NBA before considering interest from abroad.

Childress spurned a five-year offer worth an estimated $33 million from the Atlanta Hawks to sign a three-year deal worth at least $20 million from Greek power Olympiacos. With the Orlando Magic signing Anthony Johnson as Jameer Nelson's new backup, Arroyo on Monday chose to sign a three-year deal with Israeli giants Maccabi Tel-Aviv that will pay him $2.5 million net per season, with Maccabi covering Arroyo's taxes.

Childress and Arroyo both have an escape provision in their contracts which enables them to return to the NBA after each of the next two seasons if they choose.

All of the other players to sign with European clubs in recent weeks -- Serbia's Nenad Krstic, Spain's Juan Carlos Navarro and Jorge Garbajosa, Argentina's Carlos Delfino and Slovenia's Bostjan Nachbar and Primoz Brezec -- played for top-level teams in Europe before coming to the NBA.

Boykins had a breakout season offensively in 2006-07, averaging nearly 15 points per game for Denver and Milwaukee. But an equally limited free-agent market for rotation players in the summer of 2007 -- after he opted out of the final year of his contract, worth $3 million, with the Bucks -- prompted Boykins, 32, to wait until late January before signing with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Boykins wound up playing in 36 games for the Bobcats, but he averaged just 5.1 points and shot below 40 percent from the floor (.355) for the first time since establishing himself as a full-time NBA player with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2001-02.

According to Termini and co-agent Andy Bountogianis, Boykins' deal includes income from Bologna's sponsorship and marketing arms, which is not an option for NBA players because of salary-cap restrictions.

Comment

Go for it
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Will Never Ever Happen
          MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
          HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
          0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Never happen. He can earn that 50 million a year here, in just endorsements, if he chooses too!

Comment

Endorsements are just as prevelent and lucrative if not more in Europe

Also the EURO is so much stronger that the US dollar

getting 50 million EURO is like getting 70 million U.S.

Trust me I know - that 2 month vaca last year killed my bankroll

First day there at a bank I gave $5000 U.S. and got back 3500 EURO

I AMOST FAINTED

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
                Endorsements are just as prevelent and lucrative if not more in Europe

Also the EURO is so much stronger that the US dollar

getting 50 million EURO is like getting 70 million U.S.

Trust me I know - that 2 month vaca last year killed my bankroll

First day there at a bank I gave $5000 U.S. and got back 3500 EURO

I AMOST FAINTED

Yes, but if a pack of smokes are $8 and a gallon of gas is $7, doesn't it all equal out? I don't know if that's the case, i'm just asking.

Between Family, Friends and Fame in the States, i find it really hard to believe that he would do it.

Comment

no way will he do it.
                  MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
                  HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
                  0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

if he does it, it could change the US sports landscape!

think there is about zero chance it happens though.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
                      Yes, but if a pack of smokes are $8 and a gallon of gas is $7, doesn't it all equal out? I don't know if that's the case, i'm just asking.

Between Family, Friends and Fame in the States, i find it really hard to believe that he would do it.

nope

smokes are / were 3 EURO -- here is downtown chicago they are $ 9 a pack

All the prices out there are the same except for gas -- its just as expensive if not more there

but for clothes - food - jewlery - beer - cell phones - etc etc the prices are exactly the same

But as an american you should never buy stuff out there right now ( last 2-3 years actually )

say there is a nice watch you want to buy --exact same watch -- its 100 dollars here and 100 euro there -- but when you are trading in $ 1.40 for 1 Euro its like you are paying $ 140 out there

It used to be the opposite -- we would go there and live like kings -- now its a killer

People are actually coming from Europe to shop in the U.S. which was unheard of because they are getting such a great value when trading in the Euro for the U.S. dollar
                      Last edited by GOLDENGREEK; 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

It sounds like he was giving as sarcastic response to a question of what it would take to play overseas...he gives a crazy aswer and now the media runs with it.
                        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK

James
                          A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."
                          It sounds like one of those tongue in cheek comments made that people take serious. I'm sure he'd go to Europe for $50 million. The question is would a team actually offer him that kind of money?

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
                            It sounds like he was giving as sarcastic response to a question of what it would take to play overseas...he gives a crazy aswer and now the media runs with it.
                            LMAO

Comment

Working...
                            X