• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanks make trade

Farnsworth for Pudge
    MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

By By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine

The Yankees seem to have found a replacement for Jorge Posada.

The Yankees have acquaired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers. Detroit will get right-handed pitcher Kyle Farnsworth, who played with the Tigers previously in 2005.

Posada, the five-time All-Star catcher, announced he would have season-ending surgery on his right shoulder on Monday.

Posada has struggled with shoulder pain most of the season, weakening his throws and limiting his playing time behind the plate.

On the disabled list for the second time this year, Posada was trying to rehabilitate his shoulder enough to come back as a DH or first baseman this season. But after the Yankees acquired outfielder Xavier Nady in a trade with Pittsburgh on Saturday, they determined it was best for Posada to have surgery now, general manager Brian Cashman said Monday.

Comment

I don't like the trade. Yanks middle relief is already thin
      MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

I don't get this trade at all on Detroit's end. I think they could have done much better than Farnsworth. I think it will help the Yankees this year. Molina has been GREAT behind the plate and throwing out a high % of runners. It is more of an upgrade on offense if anything. Maybe Ivan can find his swing again.

Comment

WOW...The Nation is in an uproar! This is awful (read as excellent trade for the NYY)!

Farnworthless for Pudge? Why, Detroit, Why????
          Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
            I don't get this trade at all on Detroit's end. I think they could have done much better than Farnsworth. I think it will help the Yankees this year. Molina has been GREAT behind the plate and throwing out a high % of runners. It is more of an upgrade on offense if anything. Maybe Ivan can find his swing again.
            I went to the Sox game Friday night against the Yankees and I sat there looking at their starting lineup...Molina, Gardner and Cabrera in the 7 - 9 holes...AWFUL with capital letters. 3 automatic outs.

Well, as much as I like to bash Cashman, he has made some great trades (on paper) to address 2 of 3 of those areas! EFF!!!!

Comment

I love this trade! Upgrade over molina! Great defensive catcher with a great arm! Nobody is going to run on us now! Pudge is also a Type A FA so we will get a draft pick for him. Farnsy could not be trusted! He was doing well, but you cant trust him in big spots! I think its a steal for the yankees! Cashman must be holding up GM's at gun point! 2 very good trades so far!!!!

Comment

Nice Copy & paste Doc. Nobody was running on them with Molina behind the plate either. There isn't a big difference on defense. The biggest difference will be on offense.

Comment

There isn't a big difference on defense. The biggest difference will be on offense.
                  I am glad someone pays attention!

Comment

Yeah, Pudge is a pretty mediocre hitting catcher nowadays, but anything is an improvement over Molina.

Comment

Nice Copy & paste Doc. Nobody was running on them with Molina behind the plate either. There isn't a big difference on defense. The biggest difference will be on offense.

Thats what i said...upgrade over molina and nobody can run on both catchers...whats better than that?

Comment

Working...
                      X