X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Dismay of the FSU fans

Bowden downplays retirement talk, stresses need for results

ESPN.com news services

The start of recent college football seasons has brought the same question for Florida State's Bobby Bowden -- is this his last campaign?

Bowden turns 79 in November and has a named successor, Seminoles offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, waiting in the wings once he decides he's had enough.

But Bowden, whose 373 victories are the most in Division I college football history -- one more than Penn State's Joe Paterno -- is not done yet.

"I'm still the head football coach," he said Monday at ACC media day. "But I know we've got to win more than we're winning now. I'm not interested in getting out, though. I plan on getting this thing back to where it ought to be, and go on from there. Time will tell."

The Seminoles are coming off a pair of 7-6 seasons. And Bowden is aware that another mediocre season won't do in Tallahassee, where there have been rumblings in the past few years that perhaps it's time for him to step aside.

"We had better be heading in the right direction ... 7-6 ain't gonna do it," Bowden said. "My goal is to get back to the top, but if we get there, we're not going to stay there. There's too many good teams in this conference."

How can the president of FSU allow Bowden to continue to coach? My guess is the majority of fans want Bowden to retire.

Comment

I think Bobby Bowden,Joe pa and Bobby Cox should all leave after this year.Cox has 14 division crowns with ONE World series.They just signed him thru 2009 but it's time for all 3 of these guys to walk away.They will all go down as GREAT so IMO it's time to step away.

Comment

IMO, Bowden will stay coaching as long as he's ahead of JoPa....I think if JoPa retires, and Bowden is ahead, he'll also retire, but if he's behind, he'll try and catch up....I think FSU as a whole is looking for their University to have the record of the "all time winning coach"....just my take...

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

FSU looks great in NCAA FOOTBALL '09 for PS3!

Comment

Working...
          X