X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major League Baseball – Yankee Stadium

MLB

Tuesday, July 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All-Stars fight for attention in New York
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (AP) -Baseball is saying goodbye to Yankee Stadium during the All-Star break, a time when the sport's best gather and fans focus on one ballpark. New York general manager Brian Cashman hopes it isn't a final farewell.

"Certainly we're hopeful that we can get our act together,'' he said, "and extend it into October.''

As the scoreboard in center field points out, just 32 regular-season games remain at Yankee Stadium, the 85-year-old monument to baseball history. There have been 106 World Series games played at the big ballyard in the Bronx - more than one-third of the American League's home total of 300.

"I've had a lot of great memories here and a lot of sad memories,'' said Hall of Famer George Brett, who hit three homers during a 1980 playoff game at Yankee Stadium but is best remembered for the 1983 Pine Tar Game, when his go-ahead, ninth-inning homer was disallowed by umpires, then reinstated by the AL president.

While 13 of the Yankees' last 14 regular-season games are sold out and the team is headed to its fourth straight 4 million-plus season at the box office, the stadium was at best half-filled for Sunday's All-Star Futures game, which had an announced attendance of 48,383. Season ticket-holders had to buy seats for Sunday as part of strips that included Monday's home run derby and Tuesday night's All-Star game, the commissioner's office said.

Tuesday's game is the highest priced in baseball history, with lower-deck seats costing $525-$725 and bleacher tickets going for $150. In New York's Wall Street-driven economy, the home run derby sold for $100-$650 and the Futures Game for $50-$225.

And that's the list price.

On StubHub.com, tickets for Tuesday's game were on sale for up to $6,390 each. That's cheap next to the regular-season finale against Baltimore on Sept. 21 - the asking price on StubHub is as much as $65,000. Per seat.

"It is a museum. It's a baseball museum,'' said NL manager Clint Hurdle, who listed Yankee Stadium alongside Boston's Fenway Park and Chicago's Wrigley Field. "They're dripping with the historic ambiance of the game - the individuals that have played the game, the world (championships) that have been won there, the monuments in the outfield. I mean, the pope. Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he speak at Yankee Stadium? It is a venue that holds its own amongst all venues.''

Davey Johnson, manager of the U.S. squad that lost 3-0 to a World team in the Futures Game, remembered when he played at Yankee Stadium in the 1960s for the Baltimore Orioles against Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.

"I hate to see it go,'' Johnson said. "I didn't think Yankee Stadium would ever change.''

So what was his fondest memory?

"It wasn't that Jeffrey Maier game,'' he shot back quickly, remembering back to when he managed the Orioles in the 1996 AL championship series and a 12-year-old fan leaned over the right-field wall, above right fielder Tony Tarasco, and deflected a fly ball that wound up as a home run for Derek Jeter.

Futures players had to sign three dozen baseballs, two home plates, two pitching rubbers (pitchers only) and three jerseys. When the major leaguers walk into the clubhouses Monday, each will have 14 dozen baseballs to sign.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner is expected at the All-Star game. The 78-year-old owner's health has declined in recent years, and he hasn't attended a game at the ballpark since opening day.

Yankee Stadium hosted the All-Stars in 1939, 1960 and 1977 - the latter on a day when it was 102 degrees. The '77 game was played 1 1/2 years after the stadium reopened following a reconstruction that cost $167 million.

The new Yankee Stadium, which will be 63 percent larger, is rising across the street at a cost of at least $1.3 billion. It will feature a Hard Rock Cafe, a Martini Bar and regular-season seats that cost up to $2,500 a game. But it won't be the same.

"Being at the final All-Star game at Yankee Stadium is going to be very special,'' said Cleveland pitcher Cliff Lee, the expected AL starter. "Everyone knows the heritage there, and to be part of it is something I'm really looking to experience. It is going to be a crazy time.''

Yankee Stadium the biggest All-Star of all

NEW YORK (AP) - All the All-Stars walked onto baseball's most famous field, soaking up the history.

Manny Ramirez threw a ball to fans as his son scampered around the outfield in shorts during Monday's workout. Mariano Rivera stood in center, surrounded by his three boys, all in new American League uniforms. Joe Girardi and his son were in left-center, wearing matching outfits, even down to the sunglasses.

"I catch myself actually looking up at seats where I sat as a kid and saying, 'Wow, that's pretty cool that, you know, I actually watched the game from there and now I'm down here and somebody else is watching us,'' Minnesota Twins closer Joe Nathan said.
    Before closing later this year, the 85-year-old ballpark hosts the All-Star game on Tuesday night as part of its grand send-off. Major League Baseball is taking a year off from showcasing the sport's shiny new emporiums and toasting the House that Ruth Built, DiMaggio won over and Reggie conquered.

Albert Pujols set some goals, and for a change they didn't involve home runs.

"Maybe tear up the grass a little bit and put it in the back of my pocket and take it with me,'' the St. Louis Cardinals slugger said.

It's the place where Lou Gehrig said goodbye, where Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali boxed, where popes celebrated mass. But most of all, it's remembered for the 26 World Series titles the New York Yankees have won since the Stadium opened its doors in 1923.

No other team in baseball can match the tradition.

No other place can equal the aura.

"If you stand toe to toe with the beast and you can conquer this stage, then you've reached the apex,'' Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones said. "I think walking through that dark, dingy tunnel into the dugout - I don't think there's any player that's ever done it that hasn't gotten chill bumps. ... It's the biggest stage in baseball. If you can't get fired up to take those three steps up the dugout steps and onto that field, man, you don't have a pulse.''

He called it a huge coliseum. Right next door, an even bigger one is under construction, 63 percent larger, to be filled with restaurants, bars and seats costing up to $2,500 a game next year. The new Yankee Stadium will look much like this one - before the 1974-75 reconstruction, but it won't be the same.

"I'm really going to miss those guys down in the bullpen throwing AA batteries at me,'' Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon said. "I'm really going to miss the people yelling at me. They'll probably just move right across the street.''

Papelbon knows the ballpark from all those Red Sox-Yankees games. Tim Lincecum was ready to be a tourist. The San Francisco Giants pitcher, who is 24 but looks like one of the Beatles at age 14, wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to see.

"Babe Ruth and his head out there in - I don't know exactly where it is, because I've never been there, but I've seen people touch it,'' he said.

For one night only, players on the home team walked onto the field in numbers long retired, with Evan Longoria wearing Ruth's No. 3, Ian Kinsler's in Joe DiMaggio's No. 5, and J.D. Drew and Joe Mauer in Mickey Mantle's No. 7. Red Sox roamed the Yankees clubhouse, allowed a rare peek into the pinstripes' inner sanctum.

"You don't want to take anything away from any All-Star game, but this is something that's pretty special,'' Yankees captain Derek Jeter said. "This is the one All-Star game that I wanted to play in.''

Ernie Banks and Frank Robinson chatted outside the NL clubhouse. Reggie Jackson held court behind the batting cage, as only Reggie can. The commissioner's office prepared to honor more than 40 Hall of Famers during pregame ceremonies.

Boston's Terry Francona, the AL manager, spent the day sidestepping what appeared to be the biggest question: If his team has a slim lead entering the ninth inning, would he hand the ball to Papelbon or Rivera, a revered Yankees hero?

"I have a feeling, knowing Francona,'' Rivera said. "I have a feeling that he will put me there if we have the opportunity to close the game.''

Starters were cleared up Monday, with Cleveland's Cliff Lee opening for the AL and Milwaukee's Ben Sheets for the NL. Sheets, like Lincecum, was visiting the ballpark for the first time.

Young and old alike, they all sounded awed.

"It's weird to know that you're walking through the same, you know, hallways and tunnels as the greats,'' Longoria said.

More than most years, sometimes jaded major leaguers seemed pumped up. After all, there never will be another All-Star game at Yankee Stadium. At least in this one.

"Something will happen in this game that people will probably talk about for a long time,'' Francona said.

79th All-Star from Historic Yankee Stadium
    D. Upstone

Think of the names that have passed through these gates, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Reggie Jackson, and more recently Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Roger Clemons. This promises to be a special night, with so much baseball lore and history. Originally opened in 1923, Yankee Stadium has played host to three prior All-Star Games in 1939, 1960 and 1977, after completing major renovation.

Yankee Stadium’s configurations have been altered numerous times, to accommodate the whims of prior ownership. Every player that comes to this ballpark, including first time All-Stars, will make the pilgrimage to the outfield to see the monuments of Ruth, Gehrig and Miller Huggins, along the plagues of past Yankee greats and even Pope Paul VI. In the original version of the park, left-center was known as “Death Valley” where long fly balls of over 400 feet would be easily caught by outfielders. At one time in the 1930’s, Yankee Stadium had a capacity of over 80,000 and when the Yankees were stinking up the joint in the mid-to-late 1960’s, 431 people attend a game on September 25, 1966, to see the Pinstripes lose to the Chicago White Sox 4-1.

The National League holds the all-time lead in this event, 41-35 with two ties. What is fascinating to think about today, a 10-year in 1997, just becoming acquainted to major league baseball, would today be legal drinking age of 21 and still would not have seen the American League All-Star lose a game. Previously, from 1963 until 1983, the senior circuit ruled this contest, losing only once in 1971, when they had better players, who took pride in wanting to win what was and still is an exhibition game.

The American League is a -145 money line favorite, with run line of -1.5(+140) and total of 10 at Bookmaker.com. The AL will start two Yankees, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, three hated Red Sox, LF Manny Ramirez, 1B Kevin Youkilis and 2B Dustin Pedroia. What gives this team a very different flavor is having two Texas Rangers in the starting line-up, Josh Hamilton and DH Milton Bradley.

The underdog National League has a collection of youth and experience. Savvy veterans live Chipper Jones, Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman, are mingled with up and coming stars like Hanley Ramirez and Ryan Braun, along with solid star players still approaching their prime, like Chase Utley and Matt Holliday. The Chicago Cubs have the best record in the league and will have two starters in the opening lineup in Kosuke Fukudome and Geovany Soto.

The starting pitchers for each team are well-deserved, with Milwaukee’s Ben Sheets (10-3, 2.85 ERA, 1.114 WHIP) matching pitches with Cleveland’s Cliff Lee (12-2, 2.31 ERA, 1.035 WHIP). Watching how each handles the limelight on such an occasion will be intriguing to view.
    In sizing up the remaining position players, the American League appears to have a few more bats to go to than their counterparts, with names like Grady Sizemore, Carlos Quentin, Ian Kinsler and Michael Young. How each manager uses pitching staff will play a part undoubtedly in outcome, however the NL might have a slight edge.

The All-Star contest in Boston in 1999, evoked unbelievable memories, before the game itself and this one might top that event. This promises to be quite a show. With no rooting interest, wouldn’t the symmetry be fascinating if the Yankees Mariano Rivera could come in the game to close out the ninth inning for an AL win?

Comment

All-Star Game – Added Notes

MLB

Tuesday, July 15

All-Star Game – Additional Notes

National League aiming to end All-Star drought
      L. Fine

National League manager Clint Hurdle will be making a very simple point to his players ahead of Major League Baseball's All-Star game against the American League at the storied Yankee Stadium on Tuesday.

Win, and you get home field advantage for the World Series.

"We play this game for the championship ring," Hurdle told reporters on Monday ahead of the game at Yankee Stadium. "This game now gives a team a better opportunity, by winning this game, to win the championship ring.

"That is the one point that I do want to make sure that our club is aware of and responsible for as we take the field."

The winner of the game, since 2003, has been given home field advantage in the season-ending World Series, though the National League have not won the game since 1996 and Hurdle was determined to reverse that trend.

"We will attempt and make every effort to put a foot down and stop this slide," said Hurdle, who steered the Colorado Rockies to the National League pennant last season.

The National League leads the All-Star games 40-36-2.

The game is the last to be held in the current Yankee Stadium, which opened in 1923 and witnessed a record 26 World Series winning teams and hosted three other All-Star games in 1939, 1960 and 1977, before the Yankees move to a new stadium across the street in the Bronx from next season.

American League manager Terry Francona, whose Boston Red Sox swept the Rockies in last year's World Series, noted the historic element of the game.

"We're honored, as a staff and as the players, to represent not only the Red Sox but the American League in this final game in New York at Yankee Stadium," said Francona.

"We are all aware of the history of what has happened because of the success of the franchise."

This year, the National League boasts a powerful lineup that has more muscle in the order than the usual slugger-happy American League.

Led by Phillies second baseman Chase Utley (25 home runs), Florida shortstop Hanley Ramirez and Brewers left-fielder Ryan Braun, both with 23, National League starters have a combined 166 homers this season versus 114 for the AL lineup.

"We're going to be able to attack them all the way through. It's the best lineup that I've ever written down on paper, so we'll see where it takes us," Hurdle said.

Hurdle named Milwaukee right-hander Ben Sheets (10-3, 2.85 earned run average) as his starting pitcher, while Francona countered with Indians lefty Cliff Lee, who has had a remarkable comeback season.

"I am completely baffled and privileged to get that honor," said Lee, who went from 5-8 with a 6.29 ERA last season to a 12-2 record with a 2.31 ERA so far this year.

"Hopefully I can continue to pitch the way I have and give the American League a chance to win."

Comment

All-Star Game – added “Preview”

MLB

Tuesday, July 15

All Star Game – Additional Preview

All-Star Game Preview

Tuesday, July 15th (All times eastern)
        National League (40-36-2) at American League (36-40-2), 8:30 p.m.

Probable Starting Pitchers: National - Ben Sheets (10-3, 2.85) American - Cliff Lee (12-3, 2.31)

(Sports Network) - Yankee Stadium, a building that has been the home to more All-Stars than any other in baseball history, will serve as the perfect backdrop for the 79th edition of the Mid-Summer Classic.

Of course, adding even more intrigue to the event is the fact that the magical ballpark is in its final year of existence, as a brand new state of the art facility is slated to open next season across the street from the current East 161st St. & River Ave. location.

This also marks the first time that the All-Star Game has been played in a stadium's final year.

Yankee Stadium has been host to three other All-Star Games, but hasn't welcomed the league's best to the Bronx since 1977. The others played at Yankee Stadium were in 1939 and 1960. This is also the eighth time the Big Apple has housed the game with the Polo Grounds (1934, 1942), Ebbets Field (1949) and Shea Stadium (1964) also serving as venues.

In the three previous games contested in the House That Ruth Built, the National League holds a 2-1 advantage, including a 7-5 triumph the last time the game was played there 31 years ago.

The American League carries an 11-game unbeaten streak into tonight's contest and has not lost to the National League since 1996, collecting 10 wins during that stretch, while battling to a 7-7 tie in the 2002 game that was called after 11 innings when both squads ran out of pitchers.

Last season, the AL All-Stars pulled out a 5-4 victory at San Francisco's AT&T Park with Seattle outfielder Ichiro Suzuki walking away with MVP honors thanks in part to an inside-the-park-home run.

The longest win streak in the All-Star Game is 11, held by the Senior Circuit from 1972-1982. The AL is actually 16-3-1 in the last 20 All-Star Games and has not lost since a 6-0 setback at Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium back in 1996.

On Monday, American League skipper Terry Francona named Cleveland lefty Cliff Lee his team's starter.

Lee, appearing his first All-Star Game after having to fight for a spot just to make the Indians' rotation this spring, is a sterling 12-2 with a 2.31 earned run average in 18 starts. He is tied for first in the AL in wins, and became just the fourth pitcher in Indians franchise history to start a season 11-1 or better and the first since Charles Nagy in 1996.

Nagy was also the last Cleveland pitcher to start an All-Star Game that season.

Colorado manager Clint Hurdle, who will be guiding the NL, named Milwaukee righty Ben Sheets as his starter.

Sheets, despite a loss to the Rockies in his last start, is 10-3 this season with a 2.85 ERA, 108 strikeouts and just 28 walks in 123 innings. He is the first Brewers pitcher to start the Mid-Summer Classic.

The rest of the starting lineups were also announced by both managers during a Monday press conference.

The American League will open with Suzuki, who will be followed by New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and Texas Rangers center fielder Josh Hamilton. Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will hit cleanup.

Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez will bat fifth and play left field, with Texas designated hitter Milton Bradley next. Boston's Kevin Youkilis will hit seventh and play first base, with Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer and second baseman Dustin Pedroia of the BoSox rounding out the order.

Hamilton, Pedroia, Youkilis and Bradley are all making their first All-Star Game appearances.

Hamilton put on a show at Monday's Home Run Derby, belting 28 homers in the first round, including a few that almost left Yankee Stadium. Hamilton ran out of gas after that and succumbed to Minnesota's Justin Morneau in the finals.

Florida Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez, the youngest of this year's crop of stars at 24 years of age and 205 days, will lead off for the National League in his All-Star Game debut and will be followed by Philadelphia second baseman Chase Utley, Houston Astros first baseman Lance Berkman and St. Louis slugger Albert Pujols, who will start as the designated hitter.

Atlanta third baseman Chipper Jones will bat fifth, followed by outfielders Matt Holliday of the Colorado Rockies, and a trio of first-time All-Stars, -- Ryan Braun of the Brewers and Kosuke Fukudome and Geovany Soto of the Chicago Cubs. Holliday will shift from his normal position in left to play right field, while Braun will play left and Fukudome will man center.

In addition to those mentioned above, 18 other players will making their initial appearance in the contest.

Dioner Navarro and Evan Longoria of Tampa Bay; Texas' Ian Kinsler; Chicago White Sox teammates Carlos Quentin and Joe Crede; Boston's J.D. Drew; Ervin Santana and Joe Saunders of the Los Angles Angels of Anaheim; Baltimore's George Sherrill; and Joakim Soria of the Kansas City Royals round out the list of American League first timers.

While in the NL, Adrian Gonzalez of San Diego; Milwaukee's Corey Hart; Pittsburgh's Nate McLouth; Tim Lincecum and Brian Wilson of San Francisco; Colorado's Aaron Cook; the Cubs' Carlos Marmol; and Edinson Volquez of Cincinnati will be playing in the game for the first time.

Longoria and Hart were the online voting winners for the final spot on each roster, while David Wright, Marmol and Bradley are all injury replacements. Wright is filling in for Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano, who was voted to the starting lineup by the fans, with Marmol and Bradley replacing Cubs closer Kerry Wood and Boston slugger David Ortiz, respectively.

Manny Ramirez and Rodriguez are each playing in their 12th contest -- the most among active players participating in this year's event. Rodriguez, the first player to start five straight All-Star Games at third base since Wade Boggs did it 10 straight years (1987-96), was also the leading vote-getter for the second straight year.

Oddly enough, the scores of the previous 78 All-Star contests add up to 331 runs for the AL and 330 for the NL. However, during the unbeaten streak, the AL has outscored its counterparts, 68-42.

This is also the sixth straight year that the All-Star Game will determine which league gets home-field advantage in the World Series.

Next year's All-Star Game will be contested at St. Louis' Busch Stadium.

Comment

All-Star game - 15 innings!

The long goodbye: AL wins All-Star game 4-3 in 15

NEW YORK (AP) -Baseball's All-Stars came to say goodbye to Yankee Stadium - and what a long, long goodbye it was.

In a game that started Tuesday night and faded well into Wednesday, Justin Morneau slid home just in time on Michael Young's sacrifice fly in the 15th inning, giving the American League a 4-3 victory that extended its unbeaten streak to 12.

Young ended a 4-hour, 40-minute marathon at 1:37 a.m., with the grand old ballpark half-empty. It was a good thing, too - neither team had any pitchers left in the bullpen.

The NL was given a pregame pep talk by Hall of Famer Ernie Banks, whose motto is: "Let's play two!'' And they nearly did, matching the longest All-Star game ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Comment

All-Star MVP

Boston OF J.D. Drew wins All-Star game MVP award

NEW YORK (AP) - J.D. Drew and the Boston Red Sox had a rewarding All-Star week at Yankee Stadium.

Drew hit a tying, two-run homer in the seventh inning Tuesday night and took home MVP honors after a wild Midsummer Classic, capping a strong performance by the rival Red Sox in New York.

The Boston outfielder also singled and finished 2-for-4 to help the American League beat the NL 4-3 in 15 innings, matching the longest All-Star game in history by time.

"One of those undescribable events,'' Drew said near second base after receiving his award at about 1:50 a.m.

Drew connected off Cincinnati right-hander Edinson Volquez with two outs in the seventh, tying the score at 2 and making him the 15th player to homer in his first All-Star at-bat.

Booed much of the night along with the rest of the Red Sox, Drew was cheered by the Yankee Stadium crowd as he rounded the bases.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
            X