Tony LaRussa has created a monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony LaRussa has created a monster

This NL Central division is out of control now.

First the genius installed his pitcher as the #8 hitter when Mark McGwire was chasing the single-season HR record. Then last year, he made it a permanent move, God only knows why.

Then Ned Yost followed suit at Milwaukee, and now even the Pirates are doing it. That is half of the division. I am not sure what good arguments exist for this strategy, but I would love to hear some. Convince me.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

For the Brewers, it's because Kendall hit into a lot of double plays in the 8 slot. With the pitcher in the 8 slot, you can sacfrice and have your cather hitting with 2 outs. That's what I heard for Yost doing that
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Comment

I think I remember hearing LaRussa say it creates better opportunities for the top of his lineup later in the game, rather than having an automatic out hitting before his leadoff man.

Comment

Both answers are good, but can't the pitcher sacrifice in the 9 spot? He comes up one batter sooner each time in the game. It can cost a big first inning, and has ( not tonight, though).
        You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Working...
        X