Ganassi shuts down sponsor-less Franchitti team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ganassi shuts down sponsor-less Franchitti team

Co-owner Chip Ganassi has shut down Dario Franchitti's race team because of a lack of sponsorship.

The 2007 Indy 500 winner and IRL Series champion has struggled in his first NASCAR season driving Ganassi's No. 40 Dodge.

Longtime sponsor Coors Light left at the end of last season, and Ganassi was unable to secure funding for Franchitti.

Franchitti ranks 41st in the points standings.

"If I keep going I run the risk of dragging the other two teams down. I don't want to do that," Ganassi told the Associated Press. "There's no money. It makes no sense to be running this out of my pocket. I had to put a stop to it."

Ganassi's other two Sprint Cups teams are driven by Juan Pablo Montoya, in his second NASCAR season, and Reed Sorenson, who's in the final year of his contract.

The entire No. 40 team was shut down, but crew chief Steven Lane was not among those laid off.

Ganassi said Franchitti was disappointed but understood. And Ganassi said he was hopeful Franchitti would drive their Nationwide Series car until the Sprint Cup program was restructured.

Franchitti has missed several races this season, including five for a broken ankle, and he failed to qualify at Fort Worth and Sonoma. In just 10 events this season, Franchitti's best result came March 30 at Martinsville, Va., where he finished 22nd.

Spark
    Last Activity: Today 04:24 PM
    Replying to Thread Ganassi shuts down sponsor-less Franchitti team @ 04:24 PM

This should be good and informative

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
        Spark
        Last Activity: Today 04:24 PM
        Replying to Thread Ganassi shuts down sponsor-less Franchitti team @ 04:24 PM

This should be good and informative

AWWWWWWWWWWWW

Comment

My head hurts i'm laughing so hard

Comment

WOW Well he lasted longer than Villanueve .

Comment

KB, I have to admit it .. that was very clever of you to check my profile after you posted this thread ... hahahahahahaha

You knew what was coming

awesome work buddy

Comment

Here's what I hate most about Franchitti gettin' the CHOP !! No more Ashley Wet Sun Dresses

Last edited by Ldawg; 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X