This Espn Guy Had It Right From Back In 2002 About Dick Bavetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Espn Guy Had It Right From Back In 2002 About Dick Bavetta

FOR THOSE THAT HAVENT HEARD DICK BAVETTA IS UNDER INVESTIGATION BY THE FEDS FOR FIXING GAMES

THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BACK IN 2002:

from the Sports Guy on ESPN -

Question: What was the most disturbing subplot of the playoffs?
    Answer: The officiating, also the most disturbing subplot of the past four playoffs. If you examine the last four NBA playoff campaigns, during every situation where the league definitively "needed" one of the two teams involved to win -- either to A) change the momentum of a series so it didn't end prematurely, B) keep an attractive, big-market team alive in a series, or C) advance an attractive, big-market team to another round -- the officiating appeared to be slanted towards the team that needed that game. I use the phrase "appeared to be," because reviewing an official's performance is purely subjective. Maybe I'm dead-wrong.

These were just the games that jump out in my mind (again, I could be wrong):

# 1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 3 ... LJ sinks a game-winning four-pointer (called a continuation foul by referee Jess Kersey even though LJ was fouled a full second before he released the ball).

# 1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 6 ... Knicks last chance to close out Indy before the series shifts back to Indiana for Game 7 ... they get every call.

# 1999, Spurs-Knicks, Game 3 ... down 2-0, the Knicks get every call in their first home game and win their only game of the series.

# 2000, Knicks-Heat, Game 7 ... Knicks advance to the conference finals ... falling out of bounds, Latrell Sprewell awarded a timeout by referee Bennett Salvatore with 2.1 seconds left even though none of the Knicks called for one ... Sprewell admits after the game that he hadn't called a timeout ... the Miami players chase the referees off the court after the game, yelling that they had been robbed ... after the game, Jamal Mashburn tells reporters, "They had three officials in their pocket" and Tim Hardaway refers to referee Dick Bavetta as "Knick Bavetta."

# 2000, Lakers-Blazers, Game 7 ... LA shoots 21 more free throws and rallies back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes ... Shaq plays an illegal defense down the stretch, undaunted ... Rasheed Wallace absolutely gets manhandled down the stretch, yet doesn't get a single call ... up by four with 25 seconds left, Shaq body-blocks Steve Smith out of bounds and the refs don't make the call (the most egregious non-call in recent memory).

# 2002, Celtics-Nets, Game 4 ... Celts up 2-1 ... the Nets are inexplicably allowed to push and shove Kenny Anderson and Pierce while they dribble the ball ... a number of head-scratchers go against Boston, including three offensive charges down the stretch ... four different "bull-(bleep)" chants during the game.

# 2002, Lakers-Kings, Game 6 ... LA needs a win to stay alive ... from an officiating standpoint, the most one-sided game of the past decade ... at least six dubious calls against the Kings in the fourth quarter alone ... LA averaged 22 free throws a game during the first five games of the series, then attempted 27 freebies in the fourth quarter alone of Game 6 ... rumors that David Stern wanted to pull a Vince McMahon and declare himself "The special guest referee" for this game prove unfounded.

(By the way, I would feel remiss if I didn't share this information: Dick Bavetta was assigned to every one of the above games. That's an absolute fact. You can look it up. Doesn't mean anything ... I just felt the need to pass that along. It sure looks bad, doesn't it? Maybe the league could do a favor for Bavetta and not assign him to Game 3 of the Finals, especially if the Lakers jump to a 2-0 lead over New Jersey. You wouldn't want to rile up those conspiracy theorists or anything. Ummmm ...)

This Just Proves The Fact That Donaghy Was Not Alone

Comment

fuck dick bavetta!!!! he is the fucking worst
      THINK POSITIVE!!!!! BE POSITIVE!!!!!! IN LIFE
      your word is your bond

Comment

These two games really stick out in mind, when I was watching them, I couldn't believe how bad the officiating was. The NBA wants this vanish so bad, especially since the Phoenix Suns were robbed out of a title just last year.

# 2000, Lakers-Blazers, Game 7 ... LA shoots 21 more free throws and rallies back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes ... Shaq plays an illegal defense down the stretch, undaunted ... Rasheed Wallace absolutely gets manhandled down the stretch, yet doesn't get a single call ... up by four with 25 seconds left, Shaq body-blocks Steve Smith out of bounds and the refs don't make the call (the most egregious non-call in recent memory).

# 2002, Lakers-Kings, Game 6 ... LA needs a win to stay alive ... from an officiating standpoint, the most one-sided game of the past decade ... at least six dubious calls against the Kings in the fourth quarter alone ... LA averaged 22 free throws a game during the first five games of the series, then attempted 27 freebies in the fourth quarter alone of Game 6 ... rumors that David Stern wanted to pull a Vince McMahon and declare himself "The special guest referee" for this game prove unfounded.

Comment

Guys I Have Tried To Stay Out Of This But This Is What I Can Say.i Am A High School Referee For Football.also Do A Lot Of Little League.sometimes When A Game Is Way Out Of Hand It Is Human Nature To Try And Help The Other Team.if A Team Is Down 42-0 In The Third 1/4 And The Wideout Comes Out And Should Be On The Line But Is A Couple Steps Back I Will Not Throw A Flag For Not Enough Men On The Line Of Scrimage.i Will Not And Would Never Make A Call To Influence An Outcome Of A Game But No Doubt That You As A Ref Could Keep The Beating To A Minimum.totals Should Be Watched Very Close By Everyone.a 3rd And 7 At The 50 Means Very High Chance Of Making It.but A Fictituos Lining Up In The Neutral Zone Makes It A Very Reasonable 3rd And 2 At The 45.sometimes Its Just Human Nature To Try And Heklp A Team
          MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
          HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
          0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
            Guys I Have Tried To Stay Out Of This But This Is What I Can Say.i Am A High School Referee For Football.also Do A Lot Of Little League.sometimes When A Game Is Way Out Of Hand It Is Human Nature To Try And Help The Other Team.if A Team Is Down 42-0 In The Third 1/4 And The Wideout Comes Out And Should Be On The Line But Is A Couple Steps Back I Will Not Throw A Flag For Not Enough Men On The Line Of Scrimage.i Will Not And Would Never Make A Call To Influence An Outcome Of A Game But No Doubt That You As A Ref Could Keep The Beating To A Minimum.totals Should Be Watched Very Close By Everyone.a 3rd And 7 At The 50 Means Very High Chance Of Making It.but A Fictituos Lining Up In The Neutral Zone Makes It A Very Reasonable 3rd And 2 At The 45.sometimes Its Just Human Nature To Try And Heklp A Team

none of that occured here

Comment

If it is so obvious that the NBA is fixed the why the hell bet it.I might throw $20 on a game but from all the shit I have heard from you and other guys I wouldn't throw big money on a game for nothing.At first I thought you guys were just pissed because you lost a couple bad bets but with all the articles and investigations going on,it could be true.That wont get my money back but it wont let me lose no more either.NBA know stands for No Bets Allowed in my book

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
                I don't agree. Maybe your mindset is different because you are officiating kids. I used to officiate hockey games. Often when one team is getting blown out that team is frustrated. Their frustration often leads to them taking stupid penalties such as slashing penalties. The team that's winning big is having fun. They're playing loose. I've found myself calling more penalties on the team getting blown out. A ref can't and shouldn't ignore a malicious type of penalty.

The only exception is late in the game, as a ref I might let a meaningless penalty go because at that point you sometimes just want to get the game over with. Put the losing team out of their misery.
                Last edited by frankb03; 06-16-2008, 10:49 AM.

Comment

GG, I must agree with something fishy going on in professional sports. Yesterday, I saw the hole move when Tiger made that birdie on the 18th. He would have missed it by about 20 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike
                    GG, I must agree with something fishy going on in professional sports. Yesterday, I saw the hole move when Tiger made that birdie on the 18th. He would have missed it by about 20 feet.

I saw the same thing...I think it may have been the chipmunks

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X