• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wang Could Be Done For The Year!

UNLUCKY BREAK
    WANG SEASON IN JEOPARDY AFTER FOOT INJURY IN WIN
    By GEORGE A. KING III

June 15, 2008 --

HOUSTON - They won't be sure until Chien-Ming Wang exits the Carl Pavano Memorial MRI tube tomorrow and the test is examined, but there is a strong belief in the YankeesNew York Yankees ' universe that Chien-Ming Wang's season could be over due to a Lisfranc fracture in his right foot.

Wang suffered what was diagnosed by Astros team doctor John Duggan as a sprain on the top of the foot while scoring on Derek Jeter's single to right in the sixth inning of the Yankees' 13-0 victory over Houston today in front of 43,165.

"I feel sore and the doctor said I have to have an MRI," Wang said via the Yankees PR department. Wang, who didn't have tests taken today, had a soft cast on the foot and required crutches to get around. "Of course I am disappointed. On Tuesday, when I will know more, I will talk."

By Tuesday, the 37-33 Yankees, who have won four straight games and nine of 12, may be without their ace for the final 3½ months of the season that was rapidly improving because of stellar pitching by Wang, Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte, and Joba Chamberlain's progress as a starter.

If Wang has a Lisfranc fracture (a fracture and dislocation of mid-foot bones on top of the foot) he could require surgery that would finish his season. Brian Bruney suffered the same injury on April 22, opted not to have surgery and has no definitive return date.

Former Giants defensive end Michael Strahan suffered a similar injury during the 2006 season, didn't have surgery and missed seven weeks.

Mussina made it clear he didn't know the extent of Wang's injury. However, he understands what losing Wang would mean.

"Nothing against A-Rod and (Jorge) Posada but when you lose a front-line starter, that's a big deal," Mussina said. "There are seven other guys in the lineup. When you lose your No. 1 starter, that's very hard. He is the ace."

Like everybody else, Pettitte's fingers are firmly crossed, as he realizes the magnitude of losing Wang, who threw five shutout innings and improved to 8-2.

"Obviously, it would be a huge loss," Pettitte said. "He is our ace and unreplaceable for what he does."

The Yankees' options to replace Wang are limited. The Indians aren't about to deal C.C. Sabathia and the Yankees don't have the major league-ready arms Cleveland will want if the stud lefty goes on the market. Dan Giese is in the Yanks' bullpen, and the organization has Daniel McCutchen, Alan Horne, Jeffrey Marquez and Kei Igawa at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Any deal for a second-line starter such as Shawn Chacon would carry a high price tag because clubs know the Yankees have a dire need for an arm if Wang is shelved.

Girardi refused to speculate on Wang's injury but said "I would be shocked" if Wang was able to make his next start Saturday.

"We have to find a way to get it done," Girardi said of having to replace Wang. "It's not easy to replace 19 wins. We were without A-Rod, Jeter and Posada. You have to find a way."

Girardi thought Wang, who was on base via a fielder's choice after bunting, suffered the injury when he touched third. Mussina, however, said Wang's foot gave out when he was on the grass between third and home.

Robinson Cano, who went 2-for-4 and drove in three runs, scored ahead of Wang and was the first to notice something wrong when the pitcher crossed the plate.

"He didn't say anything," Cano said of Wang, who bent over and grabbed his right knee. "I hope it's a few days and he gets back on the mound. He isn't a guy you want to go on the DL."
    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

All The American League People Will Now Be Saying This Is Why Pitchers Should Not Be Hitting
    MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
    HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
    0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
      All The American League People Will Now Be Saying This Is Why Pitchers Should Not Be Hitting

Correct.

DH is the best thing to happen to baseball since steroids....haha, not really.

Seriously though, I lived in KC for years and now in STL and have watched tons of AL and NL, and the pitcher hitting is so queer....98% of them have no clue what they are doing, so NL managers walk the 8 hitter to face the pitcher.

Unless you like seeing ego-maniacs like LaRussa double switch 15 times and try to be smart and bat the pitcher 8th, then the DH rules.

PS...Yanks are f**ked w/ out CMW.

Comment

6 weeks at least
        Winners don't wait for chances, they take them

Comment

For a sprain?

Comment

Chien-Ming Wang could miss the rest of the season after suffering a mid-foot sprain of the Lisfranc ligament of the right foot and a partial tear of the peroneal longus tendon of the right foot.
            He won't need surgery, but he'll be on crutches and wearing a protective boot for at least six weeks. The Journal News speculates that even if he's fully healthy at that point, it would take four weeks for him to return to pitching shape, making a late August return the best case scenario. Get ready for even more C.C. Sabathia to New York rumors.

Comment

lisfranc is a serious inujry
              Winners don't wait for chances, they take them

Comment

NY Post reporting 10-12 weeks, with a reactivation not happening before 9/1.
                Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner
                  Chien-Ming Wang could miss the rest of the season after suffering a mid-foot sprain of the Lisfranc ligament of the right foot and a partial tear of the peroneal longus tendon of the right foot.
                  He won't need surgery, but he'll be on crutches and wearing a protective boot for at least six weeks. The Journal News speculates that even if he's fully healthy at that point, it would take four weeks for him to return to pitching shape, making a late August return the best case scenario. Get ready for even more C.C. Sabathia to New York rumors.
                  Let Sabathia go the Yanks-that fat ass overrated POS showed his true colors during the playoffs and will wilt(figuratively speaking) under the pressure in New York.
                  Rules or no rules regarding the regular season only counting(which is absurd in itself), Beckett was infinitely more deserving of the Cy Young Award last year!
                  Last edited by savage1; 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                    Let Sabathia go the Yanks-that fat ass overrated POS showed his true colors during the playoffs and will wilt(figuratively speaking) under the pressure in New York.
                    Rules or no rules regarding the regular season only counting(which is absurd in itself), Beckett was infinitely more deserving of the Cy Young Award last year!
                    You are crazy man...CC is the best pitcher in the AL now that Johan is gone......Josh Beckett is Matt Cain in a Red Sox uniform. Dont get me wrong I think Matt Cain is a great pitcher stuck in the wrong uniform but the legend of Josh Beckett is based off the postseason and 100% deserved as that guy has worked magic in the postseason. As far as I am concerned if I had one game that I needed to win in the postseason Beckett is my guy but I do not think he is the best regular season pitcher.

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
                      You are crazy man...CC is the best pitcher in the AL now that Johan is gone......Josh Beckett is Matt Cain in a Red Sox uniform. Dont get me wrong I think Matt Cain is a great pitcher stuck in the wrong uniform but the legend of Josh Beckett is based off the postseason and 100% deserved as that guy has worked magic in the postseason. As far as I am concerned if I had one game that I needed to win in the postseason Beckett is my guy but I do not think he is the best regular season pitcher.

PEACE
                      In all respect, CC is a flash-in-the -pan, and over the years, I have seen too many times when he comes up short in a big game especially against a good team; how for example has he done against the Yankees in his career?
                      He might make my top 5 or 7 list in the American League but thats about it.
                      ps I wouldn't trade Beckett for him even if you threw in any other player from the Indians.
                      If CC is so fu king good, then why would the Indians even consider letting him go!
                      Last edited by savage1; 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                        In all respect, CC is a flash-in-the -pan, and over the years, I have seen too many times when he comes up short in a big game especially against a good team; how for example has he done against the Yankees in his career?
                        He might make my top 5 or 7 list in the American League but thats about it.
                        ps I wouldn't trade Beckett for him even if you threw in any other player from the Indians.
                        If CC is so fu king good, then why would the Indians even consider letting him go!

cc is a flash in the pan?????

with all due respect, this is a pretty stupid statement. at a whopping 27 years old, has already has 100+ major league wins.

he has never had a losing season, and his win totals year by year: 17, 13, 13, 11, 15, 12, 19.

that is hardly a 'flash in the pan'.

Comment

Originally posted by molta02
                          cc is a flash in the pan?????

with all due respect, this is a pretty stupid statement. at a whopping 27 years old, has already has 100+ major league wins.

he has never had a losing season, and his win totals year by year: 17, 13, 13, 11, 15, 12, 19.

that is hardly a 'flash in the pan'.
                          I judge by how a pitcher does in crunch time against good teams, and unless I am mistaken, his performances against teams like the Yankee and Red Sox have been somewhat less than impressive overall-wins and losses don't tell everthing;in short by my standards until proven otherwise, I don't consider CC a real winner in the true sense of the word.
                          As I said before, if he were really that good, Cleveland wouldn't even consider letting him go to another team.
                          Would Red Sox entertain a deal for Beckett other than perhaps for a superstar?
                          ps I will admit that flash-in-the pan is a bit too harsh.
                          Last edited by savage1; 06-16-2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Savage just hates him cause he thinks his beloved Beckett got jobbed on the Cy Yound last year

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                              Savage just hates him cause he thinks his beloved Beckett got jobbed on the Cy Yound last year
                              By the rules I would have to decide the Cy Young(include playoffs),he did get jobbed;if evaluating pitchers(in this case Beckett and CC) in the most important games of the year don't count, then well I guess I don't agree with the method of selection.
                              Let them have two awards if they like, Cy Young for regular season only and Cy Young for the ENTIRE Season INCLUDING playoffs;just think-if CC outpitched Beckett in playoffs(yeah right )and his Indians went on to win WS, he could have won two Cy Youngs.

Comment

Working...
                              X