Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GETTING INTRESTING !!! The FBI has questioned an ex-NBA referee about Dick Bavetta,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GETTING INTRESTING !!! The FBI has questioned an ex-NBA referee about Dick Bavetta,

Report: Ex-ref Hollins says he was interviewed by feds

The FBI has questioned an ex-NBA referee about Dick Bavetta, one of three officials to work Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals, according to The New York Times.

Hue Hollins, who retired in 2003, said the agents, who asked him about former NBA referee Tim Donaghy, also asked if he ever noticed that Bavetta "was making sure that the home team would win, and I told them I had no idea because I didn't work with him a lot," according to the Times.

According to the report, Hollins said the agents did not ask about a specific team, game or series, and did not ask about Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals.

"They were very specific about their questioning, as though they had heard something," Hollins said, according to the Times. "They knew exactly what they were going after."

Donaghy has alleged that NBA referees working during the 2002 NBA playoffs assured that a series -- presumed to be the 2002 Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings -- would go to a seventh game.

Donaghy did not identify the referees in his letter or specify which game was affected. But it has been deduced that the game in question was Game 6 of the Lakers-Kings series, which was worked by Bavetta, Bob Delaney and Ted Bernhardt. The Lakers shot 27 free throws in the final quarter and scored 16 of their last 18 points at the line, winning 106-102 and forcing a deciding seventh game.

The NBA does not allow its referees to speak to the media without being given prior permission, and the league did not respond to a request made Wednesday by ESPN.com to permit Bavetta to be interviewed. Bernhardt, who is no longer an NBA ref, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Delaney told Bob Ley in an interview for ESPN's "Outside The Lines First Report" that he has never been contacted by NBA or federal investigators concerning Donaghy's allegations.

Delaney, a highly decorated former New Jersey State trooper, said: "This is not the first time a known or convicted criminal has lied about me before the judicial system. I have an extensive law enforcement background and still train police officers. I have dealt with criminals and informants, and I know full well they are capable of doing and saying anything. I cannot comment any further without permission from the NBA."

NBA commissioner David Stern said the Justice Department had fully investigated the most recent Donaghy's claims, which he labeled as "baseless."

Donaghy has pleaded guilty to federal charges he shared inside information on NBA games with gamblers. He made the allegations about the 2002 playoffs in a letter filed in U.S. District Court, in which he attempted to show he has cooperated with federal agents and deserved a lesser sentence.

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
    Delaney, a highly decorated former New Jersey State trooper, said: "This is not the first time a known or convicted criminal has lied about me before the judicial system. I have an extensive law enforcement background and still train police officers. I have dealt with criminals and informants, and I know full well they are capable of doing and saying anything. I cannot comment any further without permission from the NBA."
    Big fucking deal! There's been many 'highly decorated' people who've been caught up in wrong-doing. Does NY Governor, Eliot Spitzer, ring any bells. Another NJ State trooper was involved in the Rick Tocchet's gambling ring and money laundering.

And it's not the first or last time a cop is involved in criminal activity.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
      Big fucking deal! There's been many 'highly decorated' people who've been caught up in wrong-doing. Does NY Governor, Eliot Spitzer, ring any bells. Another NJ State trooper was involved in the Rick Tocchet's gambling ring and money laundering.

And it's not the first or last time a cop is involved in criminal activity.
      frank ole buddy,the dude needs to do some hard time,then he can know the true meaning of having an adjustable ring !!
      DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Working...
      X