Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bears to address matter after Benson reportedly sent home

Updated: June 9, 2008, 4:47 PM ET

Is Cedric Benson's time with the Chicago Bears' up?

The troubled running back, whose relationship with the team soured further because of his second arrest in little more than a month Saturday, showed up at Monday's OTA and was sent home by coach Lovie Smith, the Chicago Sun-Times reported on its Web site.

"I know that he went to practice today and Lovie told him to go home," Benson's attorney Sam Bassett said, according to the newspaper. "I don't know if it's because of the publicity or because it's a distraction, or if the Bears are trying to decide what to do. He's just kind of waiting to see what they tell him and what they are going to require of him.

"His agent and business manager are doing some stuff with the Bears that I am not privy to. He knows the Bears may release him. He hopes they don't. He knows he screwed up."

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said earlier Monday that the team would make a statement on Benson's status later in the day, the Sun-Times reports. Whether that meant Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft, would be released was not clear.

Benson was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday and Bears officials said they would treat the matter seriously. Benson's attorney said the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated and cooperated with police.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged in Austin with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. He has said neither charge is true, and those cases are pending.

At a fan event at Soldier Field in Chicago on Saturday, Angelo said he hadn't spoken to Benson but called the most recent situation unfortunate.

"Disappointment is too much an often-used word when we're talking about Cedric, and the number one lesson for every player is protect your job," Angelo said. "So we're all held accountable for our actions."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Fucking Loser

Pathetic

Comment

Working...
    X