X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants DE Strahan to retire after 15 years, seven Pro Bowls

Giants DE Strahan to retire after 15 years, seven Pro Bowls
    By John Clayton - ESPN.com

Michael Strahan has decided to retire from the NFL after 15 seasons.

A source close to the defensive end confirmed his decision, which was firmed up over the weekend. He had planned on notifying the New York Giants on Monday, but most of the Giants' front-office officials were attending a golfing event, so Strahan left a message before announcing his decision.

"It was important that my teammates knew which way I was going before they got on the field to start the work to defend our title," Strahan told foxsports.com, which first reported his retirement plans. "It's time. I'm done."

Strahan leaves the NFL on top.

He came back from a possible retirement last summer and helped the Giants win the Super Bowl. He had nine sacks in 16 games last year and helped to accelerate the pass rush during the Giants furious rush to the Super Bowl during the playoffs.

During his 15-year career, Strahan had 141½ sacks and made seven trips to the Pro Bowl. Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone, was unable to comment on Strahan's decision.

In five years, he will be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and he will make a convincing case to go in on the first ballot. He set an NFL record in 2001 when he had 22½ sacks. He was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year that season.

The Giants had been talking to him about a possible upgrade to his contract, but the numbers apparently didn't work.

Strahan was scheduled to make $4 million this season. The team, according to a source, offered to increase the base salary by $1 million if he reached a certain sack level -- possibly six. Strahan was hoping to get a base salary increase close to the $8.1 million Jason Taylor of the Dolphins is scheduled to make this fall.

The 36-year-old Strahan was a second-round choice of the Giants in 1993. It took him until 1994 to become a fulltime starter. By 1997, Strahan became a star, annually rating among the NFL sack leaders.

Numerous broadcasting opportunities are awaiting Strahan. He's been involved with Fox and the NFL Network. He has radio opportunities.

Though he could have waited until the start of camp, Strahan decided this was the time to make his decision public. Though many of the Giants' players expected Strahan to retire, they will have to start adjusting to a locker room without him starting this week at their minicamp, which starts Wednesday.

"It's a tough decision but I wanted to be fair to the Giants and fair to my teammates," Strahan said, according to foxsports.com.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

posted the same lol

Comment

At least until after training camp..
      Let's Hammer the Book.

Comment

Working...
      X