Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Mildren RIP

Capitol Bureau
    Former University of Oklahoma quarterback Jack Mildren, 58, was remembered by close friends Thursday as a man who was much more than a football star.
    "He was more than just a great athlete. He was a great political mind, and he will be sorely missed,” former state House Speaker Pro Tempore Danny Hilliard said.

"He wanted to do things. He wanted to accomplish things. He wanted to make a positive difference, and was very frustrated by the slowness of state government,” Bird said. "Jack was used to seeing a problem, figuring out a solution and implementing it.”

Mildren came into politics directly from a very successful career in the oil business in 1990 when he was elected lieutenant governor.'

His brother Richard said Mildren was having some health problems relating to cancer, and was taken to Baptist Hospital.

"They thought they would keep him overnight,” Richard Mildren said.

Richard said he got a call late Thursday afternoon from his brother's son, Drew, who told him he lost his dad.

Hilliard, who now is director of government relations for the University of Oklahoma, was at the state Capitol on Thursday when he got word that Mildren had died.

"He called me last month to tell me he wanted me to know he was going through a radical procedure at M.D. Anderson. He was positive and upbeat,” Hilliard said.

"We go back to Leadership Oklahoma Class 2,” Hilliard said.

They became fast friends there.

Both ran for public office in 1990.

Hilliard, who is from Sulphur, was elected to the state House of Representatives, and Mildren was elected lieutenant governor.

"If he was your friend, he was your friend for life,” Hilliard said. "I really can't believe it happened so quick.”

House Speaker Christopher Benge, R-Tulsa, asked for a moment of silence Thursday night on the House floor. Members, who were working through legislation to finish by today's scheduled deadline, prayed and took time out to honor Mildren as a public servant and as an athlete.
    updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
    NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

By Berry Tramel
    Staff Writer
    Jack Mildren, who quarterbacked the Oklahoma Sooners to great glory and then became the state's lieutenant governor, died Thursday night after a bout with cancer. He was 58.

Mildren was diagnosed two years ago with cancer but had continued to serve as a vice chairman for Arvest Bank and host a daily sports radio show on WKY 930-AM.

Mildren was elected lieutenant governor in 1990 and ran for governor in 1994 as the Democratic Party nominee. He lost that election to Republican Frank Keating.

Mildren was considered by many the greatest quarterback in OU history. He arrived in 1968 out of Cooper High School in Abilene, Texas, as one of the most ballyhooed Sooner recruits ever.

As a sophomore, Mildren set passing records. As a junior in 1970, when the Sooners got off to a struggling start, coach Chuck Fairbanks switched to the wishbone offense in mid-season, and history was made.

Mildren was a natural for the option offense and made All-American in 1971, when OU set NCAA rushing records and ignited a nearly 20-year dynasty.

"Great football player,” said Mildren's 1971 center, Tom Brahaney. "Great leader in the huddle. One of the great college quarterbacks of all time.”

Brahaney first crossed paths with Mildren in high school; Brahaney played at Midland High School in Texas.

"Very charismatic guy,” Brahaney said. "Real leader
    updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
    NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

RIP Jack. Great player, but an even better person.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill
        By Berry Tramel
        Staff Writer
        Jack Mildren, who quarterbacked the Oklahoma Sooners to great glory and then became the state's lieutenant governor, died Thursday night after a bout with cancer. He was 58.

Mildren was diagnosed two years ago with cancer but had continued to serve as a vice chairman for Arvest Bank and host a daily sports radio show on WKY 930-AM.

Mildren was elected lieutenant governor in 1990 and ran for governor in 1994 as the Democratic Party nominee. He lost that election to Republican Frank Keating.

Mildren was considered by many the greatest quarterback in OU history. He arrived in 1968 out of Cooper High School in Abilene, Texas, as one of the most ballyhooed Sooner recruits ever.

As a sophomore, Mildren set passing records. As a junior in 1970, when the Sooners got off to a struggling start, coach Chuck Fairbanks switched to the wishbone offense in mid-season, and history was made.

Mildren was a natural for the option offense and made All-American in 1971, when OU set NCAA rushing records and ignited a nearly 20-year dynasty.

"Great football player,” said Mildren's 1971 center, Tom Brahaney. "Great leader in the huddle. One of the great college quarterbacks of all time.”

Brahaney first crossed paths with Mildren in high school; Brahaney played at Midland High School in Texas.

"Very charismatic guy,” Brahaney said. "Real leader
        The Greatest WishBone Quarterback Ever at the University
        of Oklahoma. Jack could fake those Defensive Backs with His Eyes!! TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!
        I worked in Jack and Janis' home several times over the
        last 20 years. They always treated me as a Friend, rather
        than a Workman. God Rest Your Soul, Jack, and God Bless
        Your Wife, Janis.
        Last edited by jcheckers; 05-23-2008, 05:40 PM.

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
        When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
        Jon E. Checkers

Comment

jcheckers

Originally posted by jcheckers
          The Greatest WishBone Quarterback Ever at the University
          of Oklahoma. Jack could fake those Defensive Backs with His Eyes!! TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!
          I worked in Jack and Janis' home several times over the
          last 20 years. They always treated me as a Friend, rather
          than a Workman. God Rest Your Soul Jack, and God Bless
          Your Wife Janis.
          he was indeed a good one....established all the proper methods of "WishBone QuarterBacking"......made Switzer look good, and pioneered the OU FootBall program towards "WishBone" FB...

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Remembering Jack
            http://www.koco.com/video/16405402/index.html

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
            When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
            Jon E. Checkers

Comment

The per game rushing record that one of Mildren's teams set probably won't ever be broken in our lifetime. Nobody runs that much any more. RIP, Jack. You will be missed.
              Last edited by garth; 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

What happens to Oklahoma football if Mildren doesn't pick up the offensive change in the middle of the season? Does Fairbanks get run out of town, taking Switzer with him never to roam the sidelines as a Sooner? Looking back upon things, Mildren could quite possibly be the most influential player to ever put on an Oklahoma jersey.

Comment

Working...
                X