Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spygate Final Chapter?

If Goodell asks tough questions, Spygate could finally die

In the days since former New England Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh emerged from his Maui hideaway and surrendered eight tapes to the NFL, there has been a hasty conclusion that the whole sordid Spygate affair is finally finished -- a judgment reached by some of the media before NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has had the chance to depose Walsh by asking some tough, pointed questions.

That's a bad idea. The world of pro football has waited since February for Walsh to step before Goodell -- and hopefully this time the commissioner won't be in a rush to dismiss the possible implications.

Instead, on Tuesday in New York, Goodell should grill Walsh and sort out some still unresolved issues regarding Bill Belichick's now-documented system of cheating, which is clear from Walsh's tapes that go back seven years.

As far as we know, Walsh is the first person currently with no ties to the Patriots organization with direct knowledge of Belichick's videotaping shenanigans who will be answering the commissioner's questions, and Walsh can provide some much-needed context, background and intent.

Intent is critical. Why? Well, when Belichick was first punished by Goodell in September 2007 for illegally taping the defensive signals of the New York Jets at the Meadowlands, the Patriots' head coach said he had no idea he was doing anything illicit.

So, Goodell should pursue a very simple line of questioning to test Belichick's original contention that he was ignorant of the league rules: When Walsh was taping the opponents' sidelines, how much was he told to conceal his activities? What measures were taken to conceal his taping? How concerned were his superiors that what Walsh was doing would be uncovered by a member of the opposing team? Was Walsh worried about getting caught? Why?

What kind of instruction did Walsh get in how to tape the opposition's sideline? Who gave Walsh those instructions? Whom did he report to?

What happened to the tapes? Where did they go? Who analyzed the tapes of the defensive signals? Were there written reports based on the tapes? Who wrote those reports? And, more important, who saw the reports or was told what was in them? Did Tom Brady? Or Charlie Weis, when he was offensive coordinator during the Patriots' run of Super Bowl titles?

What was Walsh told about why this widespread practice of taping the opponents' defensive signals was vital to how the Patriots prepared for an opponent?

These will be difficult questions for Goodell to ask. Why? Because the commissioner has already said publicly many times, dating to September, that he believed the Patriots derived "minimal" benefit from their secret, illegal taping system. Questioning Walsh along those lines may reveal information that contradicts Goodell's earlier conclusions. Nevertheless, Goodell should have the courage to ask them.

Who knows what kind of credibility Walsh will exhibit when he speaks with Goodell -- after all, Walsh was fired by the Patriots for, according to the team, secretly taping telephone conversations.

But Walsh has already provided some valuable context. In September, the Patriots handed over what Goodell described as "six tapes … from the preseason in 2007 and the rest were primarily late in the 2006 season." Goodell said this at the Super Bowl in Arizona, on Feb. 1, 2008, answering a direct question about how far back the illegal taping went.

Now, it's clear from Walsh's tapes that the illegal taping went back to 2000. When Goodell punished Belichick and the Patriots, did he know the illegal taping went back to 2000? If not, would the punishment have been more severe?

The league clearly wants Walsh's appearance on Tuesday to end the Spygate nightmare. The Patriots certainly do.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Belichick have already apologized both publicly and to their colleagues -- the latter happening at the NFL owners meeting in Florida in March. The affected teams -- the Jets and the Steelers, in particular -- have all moved on, perhaps because there is a well-worn tradition of skirting the rules in pro football.

Goodell has already announced that he will hold a press briefing after his meeting with Walsh. A room at a swanky midtown Manhattan hotel has already been booked. Clearly, the commissioner wants to put a nice, neat bow on the affair after Walsh leaves town.

Walsh's videotapes did not include the so-called smoking gun, proof that the Patriots taped the St. Louis Rams' walk-through the night before the Super Bowl in 2002. Last week, Michael N. Levy, Walsh's attorney, said Walsh never claimed to have such a tape, never was a source of speculation that a tape existed, and was not the source of the Boston Herald story on Feb. 2, 2008 that said the Patriots taped the Rams walk-through.

So, here's another question the commissioner should ask Walsh: Why didn't he come forward weeks and weeks ago and say that he did not have a tape of the Rams' walk-through?

Why did Walsh let his former employer twist in the wind so long?

We probably know the answer to that question.

Sal Paolantonio c_overs the NFL for ESPN.

Goodell is a fucken attention whore....I never saw Tagliabue on the tube besides the draft and some other functions and I keep seeing this Goodell jackass and quite frankly I am getting sick of him. Stay behind the scenes and do whatever the fuck it is you do....I dont need this motherfucker calling out press conferences and every other day announcing suspensions....I dont like this character and quite frankly find him very annoying.

PEACE

Comment

i hope its all over and we can talk about FOOTBALL
      MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
      HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
      0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan
        i hope its all over and we can talk about FOOTBALL
        Agreed!

Comment

Specter calls for independent investigation into Patriots' taping

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Hold on, NFL. Spygate isn't over. Not if the "incensed" Pittsburgh Steelers fan in Congress has anything to do with it.

Sen. Arlen Specter on Wednesday called for an independent investigation of the New England Patriots' taping of opposing coaches' signals, possibly similar to the high-profile Mitchell Report on performance enhancing drugs in baseball.

"What is necessary is an objective investigation," Specter said at a news conference in the Capitol. "And this one has not been objective."

The Pennsylvania Republican was unforgiving of his criticism of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, saying that Goodell has made "ridiculous" assertions that wouldn't fly "in kindergarten." The Senator said Goodell was caught in an "apparent conflict of interest" because the NFL doesn't want the public to lose confidence in the league's integrity.

"They are enormous role models for everybody," Specter said. "If you can cheat in the NFL, you can cheat in college, you can cheat in high school, you can cheat on your grade-school math test. There's no limit as to what you can do. I think they owe the public a lot more candor and a lot more credibility."

Goodell essentially declared an end to Spygate after a 31/2-hour meeting in New York on Tuesday morning with former New England video assistant Matt Walsh. Walsh supplied the league with videotapes of coaches' signals made by the Patriots, but offered no new significant revelations about the cheating scandal that has threatened to taint the team's three Super Bowl titles.

Goodell said afterward that the information from the interview with Walsh "was consistent with what we disciplined the Patriots for last fall," when the commissioner docked the team a 2008 first-round draft pick and fined coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000.

But Specter held his own three-hour meeting with Walsh in Washington on Tuesday. He said Walsh detailed how the Patriots used videotaped signals to their advantage: an offensive player would memorize the signals, watch for them on the sideline and pass them on to assistant coach Charlie Weis, who would then inform quarterback Tom Brady.

"And they had some obviously good results," Specter said.

Specter said he would prefer the NFL arrange the independent investigation and was willing to wait several months -- while he continues to undergo chemotherapy treatments for Hodgkin's disease -- before calling for Congress to take what he called "corrective action." Such action could include hearings or a full-blown Mitchell Report-type investigation. He said public reaction would determine the NFL's next step.

"I would hope that the commissioner would do this on his own," Specter said.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said the team had no comment on Specter's remarks.

Earlier Wednesday, the Boston Herald apologized for a story that said the Patriots videotaped a St. Louis Rams walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl.

In the apology, published in the newspaper's Wednesday edition and posted on its Web site, the Herald said the story was based on sources "it believed to be credible."

"We now know that this report was false, and that no tape of the walkthrough ever existed," the paper wrote.

"We should not have published the allegation in the absence of firmer verification. The Boston Herald regrets the damage done to the team by publication of the allegation, and sincerely apologizes to its readers and to the New England Patriots' owners, players, employees and fans for our error."

Specter repeated his disapproval of Goodell's decision to destroy the notes and tapes confiscated during the initial investigation last fall, as well as the "piecemeal" way the league has revealed details about the tapings. He also cited the fact a Patriots attorney sat in on Walsh's meeting with Goodell as proof the investigation has not been impartial.

"That sequence is incomprehensible," Specter said. "It's an insult to the intelligence of the people who follow it."

Specter's interest in Spygate centers in part on the two NFL teams in his state. The Philadelphia Eagles lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2005, the same season in which the Steelers were defeated by New England in the AFC championship game.

Pittsburgh defeated New England earlier that season, and the implication is that taped signals from that game helped the Patriots in the rematch. Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has called the matter a "non-issue."

"I have a different perspective," Specter said. "I'm elected by 12 million people., and a lot of them are Steeler fans. ... Frankly I'm incensed about what happened with the Steelers, and I'm incensed about the notes being destroyed. I really am."

Specter was again asked whether his interest in the matter has to do with Philadelphia-based Comcast, one of his largest campaign contributors. Comcast has been involved in a dispute with the league over the placement of the NFL Network on its cable system.

"They have been a campaign contributor," Specter said, "along with 50,000 other people ... I've been at this line of work for a long time, and no one has ever questioned my integrity."

Comment

Arlen Specter is an ass! Enough already!
            Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

the one thing nobody seems to get or at least acknowledge-

the issue was not about them taping signals, it was where they were taping them from.

i have never, ever, heard any talking head point this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
                Arlen Specter is an ass! Enough already!

These polititions have nothing better to do?? They wonder why their approval ratings are at all time lows.
                NBA is a joke

Comment

Herald writer regrets Pats story

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Herald sports writer who reported the New England Patriots taped a pre-Super Bowl walkthrough by the St. Louis Rams in 2002 said he will regret the erroneous story for the rest of his life.

"First and foremost, this is about a writer breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism. I failed to keep challenging what I had been told," wrote John Tomase in Friday's editions of the newspaper.

Tomase explained what led up to the publication of the Feb. 2 story, which appeared one day before the Patriots' 17-14 Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants. The Herald on Wednesday apologized for the story, after former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that he did not tape the walkthrough and did not know of anyone who had.

Tomase wrote that he first heard rumors that the walkthrough had been taped during the 2006 season. Those rumors strengthened after the Patriots were caught illegally taping signals by New York Jets' coaches during the opening game of the 2007 season. Goodell fined coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 for that incident, and stripped New England of a first-round draft choice.

"I had repeatedly heard that this walkthrough had been taped, and from people I trusted. Eventually I accepted it as fact and stopped questioning the assertion," Tomase said.

After verifying that a member of the team's video staff had been setting up a camera at the walkthrough, Tomase said he then made a "devastating leap of logic," by assuming the camera was rolling.

Tomase said none of his sources told him they had seen a tape.

"I should not have written the story without seeing the tape or getting multiple, firsthand confirmations from members of the organization," he wrote.

He also conceded that he should have given the Patriots more time to investigate and respond. The team adamantly denied the story.

Tomase explained that while he had several sources of information, the Feb. 2 story included only one unnamed source, because he relied on that source more than the others. He said despite a "clamoring" to reveal the sources, he would not do so because he had promised anonymity and breaking that promise would hurt his ability to pursue stories in the future.

Tomase said he planned to continue covering the Patriots and will work to regain the trust of both the organization and his readers.

"I take immense pride in what I do and the paper I work for. I truly believe it's a privilege to serve as a link between the fans and their team."

Comment

Is Goodell keeping so quiet on this deal cause he's buddy's with Kraft?

Comment

IMO Bill B and Kraft need to admit they knew what they were doing was against league rules. Until they do this will linger.

Comment

Working...
                      X