Limbaugh Resigns Over Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limbaugh Resigns Over Comments

NEW YORK (Oct. 2) - Without backing down from his comments about a black football player, conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from his TV sports job, saying he regretted having caused ''discomfort'' to his colleagues at ESPN.

Limbaugh stepped down from the sports network's ''Sunday NFL Countdown'' late Wednesday, three days after making the statements that sparked outrage from Democratic presidential candidates, the NAACP and the player himself.

The cable sports network accepted the radio talk show host's resignation.

''My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated,'' Limbaugh said in a statement Wednesday. ''I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

''I love 'NFL Sunday Countdown' and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it,'' Limbaugh said. ''Therefore, I have decided to resign.''

Limbaugh was criticized for arguing during a pregame show Sunday that Philadelphia Eagles star Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

''I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said.

''There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team,'' he said.

Seven black quarterbacks started games last weekend. Two other blacks who regularly start were out with injuries.

Limbaugh did not back down during his syndicated radio talk show earlier Wednesday.

''All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something,'' Limbaugh said. ''If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community.''

Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and the Rev. Al Sharpton had called for ESPN to fire Limbaugh. Clark, a retired Army general, called the remarks ''hateful and ignorant speech.'' And Dean, a former Vermont governor, labeled them ''absurd and offensive.''

The NAACP also condemned Limbaugh's remarks, calling them ''bigoted and ignorant,'' and called for the network to fire Limbaugh or at least provide an opposing point of view on the show.

McNabb had said earlier Wednesday that he didn't mind criticism of his performance, but was upset that Limbaugh made his race an issue and said it was too late for an apology.

''It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him,'' McNabb said. ''It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me.''

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

''As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears,'' Berman said. ''I probably should have looked to soften it.''

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused ''Rush Limbaugh Show,'' syndicated in more than 650 markets. ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings for ''Sunday NFL Countdown'' were up 10 percent overall since Limbaugh joined the show this year.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted Limbaugh's resignation Wednesday. ABC and ESPN are owned by Walt Disney Co.

''We regret the circumstances surrounding this,'' Bodenheimer said. ''We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously.''

Limbaugh was scheduled to deliver the keynote speech at the National Association of Broadcasters convention in Philadelphia on Thursday morning.

Get used to this....

Media outlets are becoming increasingly scared of upsetting anybody, especially minorities. So any point of view that rubs somebody the wrong way will get you fired. Does anybody really think Rush's comments were racist? I'm not talking about whether you think he is, I'm talking about the simple statement that "....the media is desirous of a successful black QB..."

Here's the proof it was NOT a racist statement. Why didn't ESPN fire Limbaugh right there? Why didn't we all start talking about this Sunday instead of Wednesday? I'll tell you why, because McNabb didn't raise a stink until later, that's why. Then ESPN felt they had to do something to make minorities happy. To bow to people like that crackhead Mfume and that glue sniffing Sharpton is unacceptable, but we as a people let this go on.

I remember a buddy of mine saying things like this ALL THE TIME on Fox Sports Radio for well over a year, and to my knowledge, unless my buddy is lying, Fox never once reprimanded him for his opinions. I realize Radio and TV are different, but I applaud them for letting a guy speak his mind, whether they agreed with it or not.

Remember, Rush didn't say, "McNabb sucks because he's black."
    He simply said the media wants him to do well because he's black. You can say he's wrong, that the media and NFL could care less. But to take away his microphone because you are scared somebody thinks it's racist is bogus.

Make no mistake, we was forced to resign.
    Please don't question my record or I will leave!!!!

Comment

People who tell the factual truth will always be persecuted when this truth us politically incorrect.

Blacks are genetically superior to whites in many athletic pursuits while being inferior intellectually, on a group average basis (with many individual exceptions to the rule).

Blacks make great linemen, running backs, and receivers - in all areas except quarterback, where intellect is important.

It is no accident that whites are slightly more prevalent at the QB position than blacks, and at athletics where intellectual strategy of play is important, like in tennis. Their better intellect compensates for the blacks greater athletic prowess in a position where intellect is important.

McNabb excels in physical ability but his understanding of defenses seems lacking. I remember watching Doug Williams play at Tampa, and elsewhere, where he exhibited excellent physical abilty but made some dumb plays, and never lived up to his promise of being an excellent QB.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X