Roger Clemency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Clemency

Roger Clemency. That’s the end game here. That’s how the greatest pitcher of a generation will be remembered. As leaning on a presidential pardon to avoid jail time.

He already has been stamped a shameless liar. And a habitual drug cheat. And a pig-headed egomaniac who would bring humiliation on his wife, blame everyone around him and expect the public to swallow his ludicrous denials.

Too harsh? John McCain doubts Clemens. So do Yahoo! Sports readers, 81 percent of whom indicated in an online poll the day after the Congressional hearings two weeks ago that he took performance-enhancing drugs.

It is obvious Clemens believes himself untouchable. It’s the bedrock of his legal strategy. It’s why he willingly stepped into a perjury trap thinly disguised as a Congressional truth-seeking exercise two weeks ago.

And it’s why he unblinkingly anticipated the development that the FBI has launched an investigation, one day after the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform asked the U.S. Attorney General to look into the matter. Charges were laid out in an 18-page document that lists “seven sets of assertions made by Mr. Clemens in his testimony that appear to be contradicted by other evidence before the Committee or implausible.”

Clemens, remember, didn’t just dodge questions and deflect evidence that contradicted his claims. Early in the hearings he made a point of saying, unsolicited, that he “never used anabolic steroids or human growth hormone.”

Implausible testimony by an untouchable witness. Shades of Scooter Libby.

Clemens appears to be counting on friends in the highest places to grant him clemency should the truth not mesh with his version of events. Richard Emery, an attorney for accuser Brian McNamee, predicted as much after the hearings, saying Clemens could get “a prospective pardon. They are perfectly legal, and it would be typical of the George Bush White House. We’d expect Bush to call Clemens ‘a historic figure’ who has done so much for this country and then let him off.”

No wonder the hearings devolved into a partisan sideshow, with Democrats castigating Clemens and Republicans rebuking McNamee. It was an odd reversal of party stereotypes: Law-and-order Republicans gave Clemens every benefit of the doubt, while bleeding-heart liberals scoffed at his claims of innocence.

Principles, clearly, would not cloud politics. Not after Clemens slyly mentioned his Bush ties early in the proceedings.

Former president George H.W. Bush telephoned the pitcher soon after the release of the Mitchell Report to pledge his support. Bush and his wife, Barbara, sat behind home plate during Clemens’ starts for the Houston Astros from 2004-2006, dutifully singing “Deep in the Heart of Texas,” during the seventh-inning stretch.

Clemens and George W. Bush are friendly. Bush has the authority to grant pardons for any federal crime and even could grant Clemens a preemptive pardon, shielding him before an indictment is handed down, should the investigation drag on beyond the end of Bush’s term in office. The only hiccup could be a Barry Bonds perjury conviction, which would make a Clemens pardon particularly odorous unless Bonds received the same consideration.

Fine. Prisons are crowded enough without clearing cells for Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds. Same goes for Miguel Tejada and any other athlete whose lies about steroids or HGH plunked them into legal hot water. Free Marion Jones!

I understand that prosecutors and other federal officials, elected or otherwise, can’t tolerate folks lying under oath. But steroid users don’t endanger society – Arnold Schwarzenegger and his budget woes in California notwithstanding. Back off and find some real criminals to investigate, interrogate and prosecute.

For athletes, the damage is done even before the lies pile up. Their reputations are in shambles, their records forever tainted. Their stain has seeped throughout sport, through more than a decade of dubious achievement. And nobody believes the denials anymore. Prison is overkill.

Wouldn't be the first ever questionable pardon by a president.

I haven't seen any credible evidence that Bush would pardon Clemens. Not sure how this got started, but if the rumor becomes fact, it will send a horrible message to our youth.

I will be surprised if this happens

Comment

Bush will be out of office by the time Clemens goes to trial (if that ever even happens) so a pardon by W couldn't happen.
      "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What if he pardons Clemens but not Bonds?

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner
          What if he pardons Clemens but not Bonds?
          Obama wins by a landslide

Comment

Bush will not pardon Clemens. He is on record for being 100% against steroids and HGH so i really doubt it would happen. I really hope they fry Roger big time. Why? Mainly because of his lies and denial. Everyone is wrong but him and he is such a tool. He fucked up with his "Don't mess with me" attitude and i hope he ends up with alot of egg on his face. The jerk should have done like others and come clean. If he had, we wouldn't be talking about this anymore. Roger deserves what he gets for calling everyone a liar. Fuck him!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
              Bush will not pardon Clemens. He is on record for being 100% against steroids and HGH so i really doubt it would happen. I really hope they fry Roger big time. Why? Mainly because of his lies and denial. Everyone is wrong but him and he is such a tool. He fucked up with his "Don't mess with me" attitude and i hope he ends up with alot of egg on his face. The jerk should have done like others and come clean. If he had, we wouldn't be talking about this anymore. Roger deserves what he gets for calling everyone a liar. Fuck him!

I agree
              It's always noon somewhere!

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

Working...
              X