Calgary: 5-16 SU Away when the money line is -100 to -150
      Phoenix: 10-4 SU off BB division games

** (TC) Denotes Time Change

Comment

National Basketball Association - Hot Lines

NBA
        Hot Lines

Tuesday, February 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Pick 'n' roll: Tuesday’s NBA picks
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orlando at Detroit (-7, 194)

Everybody expected something big from Magic center Dwight Howard at the All-Star game weekend in New Orleans. Big, but maybe not as shocking as what he pulled out for the Dunk Competition.

Now that it’s back to the grind after this young Orlando team that stumbled a bit before the break, the team could feed off the All-Star excitement through a mini two-game road trip.

The Magic are also one of the Association’s best bets on the road this season. They’ve covered in 20 of their 29 visiting dates this season.

Pick: Magic +7

Boston at Denver (-1, 208)

Denver’s been one of the league’s best post-All-Star bets over the last few years, but this will be a tough one at home.

Boston was dominant before the break, winning seven of its last eight with Kevin Garnett still watching from the sideline. Now the Big Ticket’s close – like a 50-50 chance of playing Tuesday, according the Boston Herald.

“These last four days have been my strongest days,” Garnett told the Herald. “I’ve made major strides and I’m happy with where I’m at. A couple of weeks ago I could only do limited things, and I’m back to my old self again.”

Even if Garnett does sit out again, it’s hard to know how this skittish Nuggets team will respond to the break, especially the only weapons they have - Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony – were running around New Orleans all last weekend.

Pick: Celtics +1

Atlanta at L.A. Lakers (-11, 205)

Kobe Bryant and his ailing pinkie did make an All-Star game appearance after all – for less than three minutes.

The Los Angeles Times reports Bryant suffered a complete ligament tear and an avulsion fracture (occurs when a piece of bone is pulled off by a tendon).

“My current thinking is to give my finger some treatment and rest for a few days, and hope I can still continue to compete at a high level after that rest,” Bryant said in a press release. “I would prefer to delay any surgical procedure until after our Lakers season, and this summer's Olympic Games. But, this is an injury that myself and the Lakers' medical staff will just have to continue to monitor on a day-to-day basis."

As for Tuesday’s game, he’s officially listed as questionable now, but even that seems optimistic after his cameo at the All-Star game.

Pick: Hawks +11

Last edited by pm530; 02-19-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

National Hockey League – Ice Picks

NHL
          Previews and Picks

Tuesday, February 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Ice picks: Today’s NHL plays
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice picks: Tuesday's best NHL bets

Boston vs. Carolina (-110, 5 ½)

Surprising to see the battered Canes favored today in what will be their third game in four days.

Carolina looked flat and overmatched in New Jersey yesterday afternoon when the Devils pummeled them 5-1. And it’s no wonder. Carolina’s injury list reads longer than Tolstoy right now with about a dozen players tagged as doubtful or worse tonight.

That includes three of the Canes’ top four scorers with Matt Cullen, Erik Cole and captain Rod Brind’Amour all looking doubtful tonight. Brind’Amour was recently lost for the season with a torn ACL and that has had an emotional impact on the team too.

The Canes aren’t designating the ‘C’ to anyone until Brind’Amour returns.

Pick: Bruins +100

Columbus vs. Toronto (-130, 5 ½)

There is a new rule you might want to adopt when betting hockey for the next while: when the Leafs are the fave, it’s the other team you crave.

OK, it’s make-you-puke corny, but it might help you remember if you haven’t been paying close attention to pucks lately.

Simply put, the Leafs are awful. We could bore you with the details, but the fact they are only three points from being the worst team in the league says it all.

They are also 1-3 in their last three games when they’ve been favored.

Pick: Columbus +120

Chicago vs. St. Louis (-140, 5 ½)

Don’t look now but this has suddenly become a good game to watch. Both the Blues and the B-Hawks are on rolls right now.

For St. Louis, it’s three wins in four games and for Chicago, it’s been four wins in five games. If you’re wondering why these teams are suddenly surging, it seems it’s remarkably simple.

The Blackhawks have benefited from the return of rookie Jonathan Toews four games ago, who lights cheers throughout the arena from Chicago fans the instant he touches the puck. He has five points since returning to the lineup.

The Blues are winning on the pads of Manny Legace, who hasn’t allowed more than two goals in St. Louis’ last five games. The team announced they’d be making their playoff run based on his play for the rest of the season and that has to be an even bigger confidence booster for him.

So will it be offense or defense that prevails? That’s the age-old question, it seems.

The home team has won the last three meetings in this series this season, so we’ll stick with that.

Pick: Blues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X