• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yankee stadium costs over 1.3 billion

Party suites, martini bar: Cost of new Yankee Stadium up to $1.3B

By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer
    February 8, 2008
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The granite and limestone exterior is designed to evoke the original 1923 Yankee Stadium, before it was remade in the 1970s.

But the new stadium's interior will offer amenities unheard of in Babe Ruth's day -- or in Reggie Jackson's.

Scheduled to welcome fans on opening day 2009, the new stadium will have party suites, a members-only restaurant, a martini bar and a price tag to match all the luxury -- $1.3 billion, up from a $1 billion estimate last year, the Yankees said Thursday.

"We tried to reflect a five-star hotel and put a ballfield in the middle," said Yankees Chief Operating Officer Lonn Trost, who hosted a media tour of the new stadium.

The new ballpark is being built directly across the street from the old House that Ruth Built in the Bronx. For now, the stadium is a welter of cranes and construction trailers, with hard-hatted workers instead of Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez patrolling the infield.

The field's dimensions will be the same as at the old ballpark, which will be partially demolished. But the 58-by-103-foot center field television screen will be six times the size of the current stadium's video screen.

Inside, there will be such features as a conference center with video conferencing, so a corporate group could have a daylong meeting and then stay for a ballgame, Trost said.

A concierge will be available to procure theater tickets or restaurant reservations. There will be 51 luxury suites, two large outdoor suites and eight party suites with seating for up to 410 people in total.

Trost said the cost overruns included $150 million in such enhancements as the giant video screen, $138 million in food and beverage costs not included in the original estimate and $50 million from delays due to a lawsuit by community groups that sought to halt construction of the stadium.

The groups sued because two city parks were razed to make way for the new stadium. The Yankees have said the lost parkland would be replaced at the site of the old stadium and elsewhere in the Bronx.

Asked whether the Yankees had been securing additional financing, Trost said, "We will be."

any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
      any pictures?
      I dont know how to post them. Go to Yahoo and in the search type new yankee stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
        any pictures?
        http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/newyank3.JPG

Comment

What the hell is that? lol

Comment

Looks like shit
            Quitters Never Win, Winners Will NEVER Quit

Comment

Nice black and white

Comment

They had a big article about the Stadium in today's Newsday here in NY. Both the Mets and Yankee stadiums look like they are going to be incredible. I am going to do my best to be a opening day for both places and maybe grab myself a piece of history. For all the teams we have and being the largest media market in the world and even a decent amount of success spread between all sports, we havent had a new stadium open in quite a long time. I am 36 so I was only 5 when Giants Stadium opened. The Garden, Yankee Stadium are relics. Shea is a dump. So is the Nassau Coliseum. Continental (now Izod) isnt much better. The Devils got a new place in the Prudential Center. State of the Art facility which is incredible. Guess I could count that, but they are a true NJ team unlike the Jets or Giants who also play in NJ. Nets are moving to Brooklyn which should be cool too. We have 9 local sports teams in this city so these two new stadiums are a long time coming. Seems like MLB is producing at a rate of one every other year or so lately.
                "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by 3ebRocks
                  They had a big article about the Stadium in today's Newsday here in NY. Both the Mets and Yankee stadiums look like they are going to be incredible. I am going to do my best to be a opening day for both places and maybe grab myself a piece of history. For all the teams we have and being the largest media market in the world and even a decent amount of success spread between all sports, we havent had a new stadium open in quite a long time. I am 36 so I was only 5 when Giants Stadium opened. The Garden, Yankee Stadium are relics. Shea is a dump. So is the Nassau Coliseum. Continental (now Izod) isnt much better. The Devils got a new place in the Prudential Center. State of the Art facility which is incredible. Guess I could count that, but they are a true NJ team unlike the Jets or Giants who also play in NJ. Nets are moving to Brooklyn which should be cool too. We have 9 local sports teams in this city so these two new stadiums are a long time coming. Seems like MLB is producing at a rate of one every other year or so lately.
                  I am jacked to see the new Mets stadium, Citi Field....but why in the world would they build it to seat only 42,500? I don't get that???
                  Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

they say that the seats are gonna be right on top of the feild, instead of the way they are now. Which means the fans will reak havoc on the opposing team even worse. Great IDEA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
                      I am jacked to see the new Mets stadium, Citi Field....but why in the world would they build it to seat only 42,500?* I don't get that???
                      Much better sightlines.* Fans practically one the field.* Old time ballpark feel.* Sold out for years as long as they are just decent.* And also that holding 55k only reason comes in handy for Yankees series and playoffs.* And of course some special games and promotions and stuff.* But Mets averaged about 40K last year if I recall correctly.* So, they drew over 3mil making them one of the higher drawing clubs in the league.But if your point 3J is that they would be losing revenue because they will fill all the seats for at least a few years (ie Camden and Coors to name a couple), then why not?* Well, other than what I stated above I really dont have much else of an answer.* If I owned the club, I may not build a cavernous 55000 seat stadium, but high 40's or low 50's would be cool knowing I would fill it.Unless of course, the design of the stadium doesnt allow it.* In other words to charge premium prices because even the least expensive seats will have a great sightline and be on top of the field, maybe they actually have to compromise capacity.* That would be the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.Regardless, the new stadium should be beautiful and I am looking forward to rooting on my Mets from its confines.
                      "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                      X