ESPN & Celebrity SB Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN & Celebrity SB Picks

PHOENIX -- Who'll win Super Bowl XLII? It could be the Patriots in a blowout. Or maybe they'll sweat it out in the final minutes. Or maybe the Giants in a stunner. After all, few people give them a chance to knock off an unbeaten New England team that has already been lauded in some corners as the best in NFL history.

"I think it will be a shock-the-world thing," veteran Giants cornerback Sam Madison said. "But it's not going to shock us. We know we can play with these guys."

Teammate Plaxico Burress certainly thinks so -- he predicted a 23-17 Giants win earlier this week. Of course, while Burress gets a chance to actually influence the outcome of Sunday's game, the rest of us must be content with just making our predictions, sitting back and watching.

So how do our experts see it? The Pats are the heavy favorites, to be sure, but it's certainly not unanimous. The only thing we know is that everybody has an opinion on the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffri Chadiha: Giants, 24-23

The Giants will benefit from having played New England once already. They're confident that quarterback Eli Manning can make big plays against the Patriots secondary and that their pass rush is also capable of causing problems for New England QB Tom Brady.

The Giants also watched two different teams hold Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss to just one catch. If the Giants can shut down Moss and harass Brady, the game won't even be this close. But since it's hard to do both, expect this one to come down to a last-second field goal and a Giant -- as in colossal -- upset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Clayton: Patriots, 38-24

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been a master of making his players accountable. Even when they were blowing out teams by 25 or more points early in the season, players spent more time after games talking about their mistakes instead of the good plays they made. That kind of focus has made them more efficient.

Expect Tom Brady, despite the high ankle sprain, to win the Super Bowl MVP because the Patriots will go back to the four- and five-receiver pass plays that allowed him to throw for 50 touchdown passes. Meanwhile, the defense won't allow the four red zone touchdown passes that the Giants managed in their regular-season meeting.

Belichick needs to squeeze one more game and one more win out of this talented group. No team in football is better at finishing games -- and now the Pats will apply that mindset to finishing their perfect season.

Matt Mosley: Patriots, 31-17

I think the Giants will use Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw to keep the Patriots off the field in the first half. I also think Steve Spagnuolo's defense will sack Tom Brady twice in the first half.

The Giants will be up, 10-7, at the half. But in the second half, Brady will start finding Wes Welker across the middle. He's the guy who killed the Giants in the Meadowlands in Week 17, and rookie cornerback Aaron Ross can't match up with him. You'll also see Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel catch the 11th touchdown pass of his career.

Spagnuolo wants to play a lot of man coverage, and I just don't think Sam Madison and Corey Webster can hold up for an entire game. Brady will finish 25-of-34 for 285 yards and three touchdowns. Eli Manning will play well, but I think the Giants will struggle in the red zone.

Len Pasquarelli: Patriots, 31-20

The outcome will come down to in-game adjustments, and no one is better at that than Bill Belichick and his staff, who are always tough to beat when they have two weeks to prepare.

The Giants will play fearlessly, as they did in the regular-season finale, but New England will make a few more big plays.

Mike Sando: Patriots, 30-20

Since beating the Bills, 56-10, for their 10th win of the season, the Patriots haven't been nearly as dominant. They won those first 10 games by an average of 25 points; in their last eight wins (including playoffs), they've won by a 10-point average. But this should not be cause for alarm. The 1962 Green Bay Packers, arguably the greatest team in NFL history, won by an average score of 32-7 in their first nine games, but only 23-15 over their final six. They still won it all.

The Giants might pull the upset -- Eli Manning is playing like a champion -- but picking against New England is like hitting on 18 in blackjack. You get credit for good fortune, not smarts, if you happen to draw a three.

More expert picks

ESPN.com NFL editors
    Name Score Why?
    John Banks Patriots 42,
    Giants 21 Plaxico Burress and the Giants are talking a good game, but this Super Bowl has the look and feel of a blowout. Expect it to be over by halftime.

Mike McAllister Patriots 34,
    Giants 24 At some point, probably early in the fourth quarter of a close game, it will suddenly hit Eli Manning. We may just win this friggin' thing. He'll tighten up. He'll make a mistake. It might be his only one -- but it will be huge. Momentum will change. The Pats will pounce. Game over.

Scott Symmes Giants 27,
    Patriots 24 The Giants didn't have much incentive to play hard or much karma in Week 17, yet they nearly ruined the Pats' bid for a perfect regular season. Now the G-Men have both, and the stars just seem to be aligned for a monumental upset.

Sheldon Spencer Giants 27,
    Patriots 23 A Patriots' rally falls short inside the Giants' 10-yard-line in the final minute.
    Scouts Inc.
    Name Score Why?

Jeremy Green Patriots 27,
    Giants 23 The Pats will win but it won't be quite as wild as the first meeting. The Giants will continue their hot play, but the Patriots are just too loaded across the board.

Keith Kidd Patriots 27,
    Giants 20 Simply put, the Patriots are the best team in football. They have been spectacular all season long and while the Giants are playing with a lot of confidence, the Patriots will finish the season undefeated.

Matt Williamson Patriots 33,
    Giants 20 New England will score quickly and grab this game by the throat. The Giants will score late to make the game closer than it really was, but the Pats will win to go down as the best team of all time.

Ken Moll Patriots 28,
    Giants 17 Both teams are playing with great confidence and believe they can win, but the Patriots win this game going away in the fourth quarter as they are clearly the better ball club. If Eli Manning and the Giants play mistake-free football, the game will be close at the end, but I think the Giants will have some turnovers in this contest.

Doug Kretz Patriots 31,
    Giants 17 Bill Belichick will find some way to eliminate either Plaxico Burress or Brandon Jacobs (more than likely Burress) and frustrate Eli Manning. In their attempt to play catch-up ball, the Giants will make some costly mistakes and lose this game.

Marwan Maalouf Patriots 28,
    Giants 27 Both defenses will play well, thanks to being familiar with the opposing offenses due to their Week 17 meeting. The Patriots will come from behind to beat the Giants in the final minute.

Gary Horton Patriots 31,
    Giants 20 Any time you give Bill Belichick two weeks to prepare for an opponent, you're going to see a unique game plan and he'll have one that will frustrate Eli Manning and the Giants. Also, on a good field with perfect weather conditions, the Patriots simply have too many offensive weapons for the Giants to contend with.

ESPN.com writers
    Name Score Why?
    Bill Simmons Patriots 42,
    Giants 17 If this Patriots season really is a perfect storm, then the Super Bowl should end like that Clooney movie. In other words, the Patriots would charge out to an early lead, throw all over the place, make a couple of big plays, put the Giants on their heels, force the Giants to abandon their running game and put Eli Manning in the position of playing from behind.

Greg Garber Patriots 38,
    Giants 21 Nice weather enables Pats' offense.

Gregg Easterbrook Giants 20,
    Patriots 19 This was the score 17 years ago when the Giants staged the most recent major Super Bowl upset over the heavily favored Bills, who had a record-setting offense.

Jemele Hill Patriots 38,
    Giants 31 Tom Brady becomes quarterback immortal.

Wright Thompson Giants 35,
    Patriots 3 Ole Miss (Manning) finally gets revenge on Michigan (Brady) for the 1991 Gator Bowl. The ghost of Greg Skrepenak is exorcised. (Note to all those who think I've lost my mind: This.Is.A.Joke.)

Celebrities .....

PAUL NEWMAN
    Actor As an Easterner, it's delicious having two great "local" teams. I wish it were the days before overtime. Then, I'd root for a tie.

JOANNE WOODWARD
    Actress Patriots, 28-14. I'm loyal to New England, and I'd pick them even if they weren't favored due to a superstar named Brady.

JACK NICKLAUS
    Golfer I am a Dolphins fan and the Patriots are an AFC team. Also, their defense is underpinned by an Ohio State guy in Mike Vrabel, and, believe it or not, I occasionally root for Michigan people, as in Tom Brady. I think Eli Manning and the Giants' defense have done a fantastic job getting their team where they are, and while I wish them luck, I just feel the Patriots are a little too strong.

ARNOLD PALMER
    Golfer, 2003 Super Sage winner Giants, 28-21. I see Eli Manning coming into his own and the coach (Tom Coughlin) is anxious to win a Super Bowl.

GEN. MIKE HAYDEN
    Director of the CIA Giants, 28-24. The spread favors the Pats, but careful intelligence work looks beyond the obvious. The Giants are hot now. Three playoff wins on the road (like the Steelers before Super Bowl XL). Regular season finale shows they match up well against the Pats. Besides, nobody's perfect!

MARTINA MCBRIDE
    Country singer Patriots, 31-27. Brady will throw for three touchdowns and they will have one rushing touchdown. Manning will throw for one touchdown and they will rush for two touchdowns. Coughlin will be pissed off most of the game at the officiating, and will probably lose one of his challenges. Bill Belichick won't throw any flags, as usual.

PLACIDO DOMINGO
    Opera tenor Giants, 24-21. The Giants might be the spoiler by breaking the Patriots' perfect season and playoff record.

SERENA WILLIAMS
    Tennis player/Venus' little sister Giants, because of Eli Manning being the younger brother.

DON RICKLES
    Comedian Patriots, 21-12. Brady is too good to be beaten.

PHYLLIS DILLER
    Comedienne Patriots, 30-10. A rout. I love routs.

LEBRON JAMES
    Cleveland Cavaliers Patriots, 34-14, because their offense is so powerful.

DWYANE WADE
    Miami Heat Patriots, 27-17. New England because they are destined to win.

SHAQUILLE O'NEAL
    Miami Heat Giants, 21-20, because the Pats have too much pressure to run the table and New York will take advantage of the situation.

KEITH OLBERMANN
    MSNBC TV host Giants, 27-21. Not a lot of people noticed that by December, Eli Manning had already made the first hurdle of greatness: eight fourth-quarter comeback wins in his first four seasons. First you figure out how to reverse a disaster-in-progress. Then you learn how to prevent a disaster. He has just learned.

BILL O'REILLY
    FOX TV host Giants, 31-30. Destiny.

MICHAEL PHELPS
    Olympic swimming gold medalist Patriots, 24-17. Well rounded team ... Good TEAM work ... great coach.

MITT ROMNEY
    Presidential candidate Patriots, 28-14. Three words: Brady, Maroney, Moss.

MICHAEL BLOOMBERG
    Mayor of New York City Giants, 31-28. Well, I can tell you that when I lived in the Boston metropolitan area, they did not have a football team so nobody can accuse me of having been a Patriots fan. I am a New York fan. There is a game and I don't want to jinx it by talking about it but I think the best team will win and that's clearly the Giants.

ELISABETH SHUE
    Actress Patriots, 31-20. History seems to be on their side.
    MAMIE VAN DOREN
    Legendary sex symbol Patriots, 28-7. The New England Patriots are a cross between a symphony orchestra and a steam roller. Every player plays his part as they flatten their opponents.

JERRY MATHERS
    Beaver on "Leave It To Beaver" Patriots, 30-27. I would love to see the perfect season.

BOBBY THOMSON
    Former N.Y. Giants baseball player who in 1951 hit "Shot Heard 'Round the World" Patriots, 28-21. Deep down, I'd like to see Brady go all the way. Just one more game.

RALPH BRANCA
    Former Brooklyn Dodger who threw the famous pitch to Thomson Giants, 34-31. They can control the ball and their defense is good. End of 18 in a row.

CHUCK YEAGER Patriots, 28-17. Although Manning is a good passer, I don't think he has the strength or the maturity to take on the Patriots.

MICKEY ROONEY
    Actor Patriots. Whoever is the favorite will win ... It's all a matter of percentages in every sport.

YOGI BERRA
    Hall of Fame New York Yankees baseball player I'm hoping the Giants win -- the score doesn't matter. Also, Eli (Manning) was nice enough to give us his jersey (for a captains exhibit at the Yogi Berra Museum & Learning Center).

STEVEN VAN ZANDT
    Actor, "The Sopranos" and musician, The E Street Band Well, it's a little bit of a quandary for me since I was born in Boston and grew up in New Jersey. I don't really follow sports anymore. I don't have the time. You gotta hope for the hometown team, don't ya? I mean, they shouldn't have been there, should they? I watched the last couple games and, you're like, how are they doing this? They shouldn't be winning! But Michael Strahan is a good friend of mine, so I'm very happy for him, and the team is just looking terrific. I mean, what can you say. I wouldn't bet against them right now, I'll tell you that. I predict right now the Giants will win outright. Let's win by 6, what do you say?

WAYNE NEWTON
    Singer Patriots, 35-30. As a true patriot and devoted chairman of the Celebrity Circle of the USO, I have to side with New England.

DAVE GROHL
    Musician, Foo Fighters Patriots by 3 because I like their three-corner hats.

DANA DELANY
    Actress, "Desperate Housewives" Patriots! Because I'm a big fan of Bill Belichick. I have no clue (on the score). I don't even know what numbers mean in football. All I know is it's about inches.

MARK CUBAN
    Owner, Dallas Mavericks Giants, 28-16. I think Brady is dinged up and not playing well. The Giants have gotten better and are playing with great confidence.

DR. JOYCE BROTHERS
    Psychologist Giants, 17-10. I believe the Giants are going to win. I haven't paid that much attention this year.

ANDY WILLIAMS
    Singer Patriots, 21-7. The difference will be Tom Brady who will continue to make his march towards being recognized as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

BARRY WILLIAMS
    Greg Brady on "The Brady Bunch" Patriots, 42-27, because, well ... Tom Brady.

CHRISTOPHER KNIGHT
    Peter Brady on the "Brady Bunch" Patriots, 31-20. With a name like Brady how could they fail?! The Pats haven't lost yet, and I see no reason they'll stumble now.

SHIRLEY JONES
    Actress/Mrs. Partridge on "The Partridge Family" Patriots, 34-20. Patriots, definitely. Three elements: Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, even though Brady is not my favorite television family name.

ADAM WEST
    "Batman" Patriots by 7 to 10 points. If Brady keeps his foot out of the mousetrap, he'll be able to pick apart the Giants' secondary.

DAWN WELLS
    Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island" Patriots, 28-17.

RUSSELL JOHNSON
    Professor on "Gilligan's Island" Giants, 21-20. It's awfully hard to not pick New England. But the Giants looked good in their last game. The Giants are going to rise up and smote the Patriots by one point.

HALEY JOEL OSMENT
    Actor, has picked the last eight Super Bowl winners Patriots, 34-20. I will be cheering on the Giants, as I imagine a great number of people across the country will be. Unfortunately I am going to have to go with the undefeated team this year for my pick.

DICK VITALE
    ESPN basketball broadcaster Giants, 28-24. It's the year of the man. Not Peyton, but Eli.

DENNIS MILLER
    Comedian/radio talk show host Patriots, 19-0 to go 19-0 cause it fits.

DENNIS FARINA
    Actor, 2005 Super Sage Award winner Giants, 27-24. I think Eli Manning finally found his way as a quarterback and is ready to explode.

RANDY JACKSON
    "American Idol" judge New England Patriots by a touchdown, trust me!

TOBIN BELL
    Jigsaw in "Saw" movies Patriots, 17-14. The Giants played the Pats tough during the regular season and they're playing even better now than they were then, so the Giants are going to play a great game. But the Pats will find a way to overcome.

PAM SHRIVER
    ESPN tennis broadcaster Patriots, 24-13, but I'm hoping for 17-14 in overtime for the Giants. New England is like the (Roger) Federer of football, but Federer does not have a head coach who cheats. In fact Federer does not have a coach, but if he did I am sure he would dress better than New England's coach!!!

NEAL MCDONOUGH
    Actor Patriots, 38-14. The first half will feature the same plodding offensive attack that Belichick always uses to tire the defense out. In the second half, Randy Moss, who has been completely unused for some certain reason -- another trick of Belichick's -- is going to come to life and have 11 receptions for 147 yards and three touchdowns.

ROBERT PATRICK
    Actor, "The Unit" Patriots, 35-17. They have so many ways to beat you. Take one away they hit you with something else. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick may be the best quarterback-coach combo ever.

STACY KEIBLER
    Actress Patriots, 32-17. I feel that offensively they have too many options for the Giants to defend.

JESSE L. MARTIN
    Actor "Law and Order": Giants, 25-21.

GORDON CLAPP
    Actor Patriots, 41-10. How could I not? Plus I am from the region. They know how to win. No matter what they are up against they always come out on top.

DR. PAT ROBERTSON
    Reverend Giants, 20-14. I invariably favor the underdog, that's why I am pulling for the Giants to win. This is not a prediction -- just a preference.

DR. JAMES DOBSON
    Reverend Patriots, 34-24. How can a thinking person pick against a team that is 18-0? I wish it weren't true but suspect the Giants are in for a drubbing.

SEN. EDWARD KENNEDY
    D-Mass Tom Brady and the Patriots are pumped for this one. They're ready for anything the Giants throw at them.

SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER
    D-NY I've been a Giants fan since I was five years old. I can remember watching Charlie Connerly, Sam Huff, and Alex Webster. Back then, the two most important Roosevelts to me were Brown and Grier.

SCOTT TUROW
    Author Giants, 21-17. I just can't believe that a team's going to go 19-0 in the NFL.

DAVID WRIGHT
    N.Y. Mets Giants, 27-24. I grew up in Redskin country in Norfolk, Va., and my dad was a loyalist to the Hogs. I competed against my father in pretty much everything. So since my early childhood coincided with the great battles between the Joe Gibbs' Redskins and the Bill Parcells' Giants, I took a liking to the Giants of Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms.

OMAR EPPS
    Actor, "House" Patriots, 35-24. The Patriots are on the verge of making history. What better motivation can one need?

MARISOL NICHOLS
    Actress Patriots, 35-21. Why? Well, they're undefeated so odds are they'll continue being the best. Plus as good as the league is, to be undefeated is quite an accomplishment.

SUSAN ANTON
    Singer/actress Patriots, 31-28. This match up has the potential of being a classic. Eli and company have a lot of momentum going for them as well as confidence knowing that they almost beat the best team in football the last time they met. Experience will make the difference and Brady certainly has that. He is simply the best!

DIERKS BENTLEY
    Country singer Giants, 27-24. The Giants finished the season strong, and I guess I just enjoy pulling for the underdog.

KIRSTEN HAGLUND
    Miss America Patriots, 31-20.

RACHEL SMITH
    Miss USA Giants, 29-28, off a field goal with seconds to go! They've won me over since I've moved to the Big Apple and now that my Tennessee Titans are out for the season.

VINCE NEIL
    Lead singer of Motley Crue Patriots, 49-14. The Giants pass defense is just not there, and they can't get to Brady. And I think Belichick has a plan for the Pats D to eliminate the Giants offense.

TONY SIRICO
    Actor, "The Sopranos" Giants, 35-31.

CHRISTOPHER GORHAM
    Actor, "Ugly Betty" Patriots, 27-17. I'm going with the Patriots. And not because I know a lot about football, but because it's been a really exciting season and it would be really great for them to go undefeated.

DOMINIC CHIANESE
    Actor, "The Sopranos" Giants, 24-21. New York Giants are actually going to beat the New England Patriots by three points. Well, 'cause I'm a New Yorker, and I'm always for the underdog, so to speak. Even when I watch boxing, or anything, you know I'm always for the guy that looks like he's going to lose.

JON TENNEY
    Actor, "The Closer" New York Giants, all the way! I'm from New Jersey, are you kidding? What a game, that final game, when they beat the Packers. I mean, God bless the Packers, but I tell you, that was an exciting, exciting game. I screamed more during that fourth quarter than ever. So I'm rooting for the Giants, wholeheartedly. I don't know what's the over and under, what are they giving? 10 point underdogs? Well I always root for the underdog. I can't get the point spread but, let's say, I think the Giants will win it by three.

JOHN SLATTERY
    Actor, "Desperate Housewives" and "Mad Men" Patriots, 41-28. Pats, baby! And, they're gonna cover, too. What's the line now, 12½? From Boston. Yeah, huge Pats fan.

JAMES DENTON
    Actor, "Desperate Housewives" Giants, 23-20. I just think, superior passion, a little superior defensive line. The Patriots seem a little bored to me. They're clearly the better team, but 19-0 is tough to do. And they've been kind of running on fumes.

DICK VAN PATTEN
    ctor/founder of Natural Balance Pet Foods Patriots, 35-14. Tom Brady is going to make dog food out of the Giants. I might have to hire him for my company.

ED ASNER
    Actor Giants, 7-3. I think they're due. And they've become destiny's team. May the best team win. This is not to say that I have any animosity towards the NE Patriots and Tom Brady. They're the best people in the world.

EVA MARIE SAINT
    Actress Giants, 38-35. I expect a "winning" score and a "losing" score, plus players sitting on the bench spitting. Giants will pull a major upset and win The Oscar.

MARLEE MATLIN
    Actress I think it will be the Giants. I have a good friend who is rooting for New England, BIG TIME and I love to create some friendly rivalry. That's what a good game is all about. Plus, I tend to root for the underdog, except when my home team, the Chicago Bears are playing.

SHELLEY BERMAN
    Actor/comedian Patriots, 28-21. Halftime entertainment will be a remarkable singer -- all the words will be understood for the first time in Super Bowl history. This will make up for the once again hip-hop treatment of the national anthem, with screams and cheers on "o'er the la-hand of the free-hee" instead of "and the home of the brave."

DIONNE WARWICK
    Singer/entrepreneur Giants, 27-17. Most people will think I am crazy but I truly believe the Giants will pull it off.

BOB WEIR
    Musician, Grateful Dead and 2004 Super Sage Award winner Patriots, 31-24. Slowly, inexorably.

JOAN JETT
    Rock star Giants, 35-21. I'm a Packers fan and knew they were in trouble. New York is on a roll.

TOM SCHOLZ
    Founder of the band Boston Well let's see ... I live in Boston, the name of my band is "Boston" ... definitely a Pats fan. The Brady Bunch to win by 7.

RODNEY ATKINS
    Country singer Patriots, 42-17. Their offense is outta control.

DOLPH LUNDGREN
    Actor/director Giants, 21-13. This year it looks like the right Manning is in the Super Bowl.

CARL WEATHERS
    Actor Patriots, 31-17. It's impossible not to go with New England. Congratulations to New York, but they won't win this Super Bowl.

LEROY NEIMAN
    Artist Patriots by a good 10 points unless the Giants' Toomer and Eli get hot. Brady only knows how to win.

JOHN CENA
    WWE wrestler Patriots, 34-14. With a video game-esque offense, the Patriots will secure a spot as one of the greatest teams to ever take the field.

MARIA MENOUNOS
    "Access Hollywood" TV host Patriots, 30-27. Being a lifelong fan I could NEVER respond with anything other than New England. However, the pressure of having to successfully execute a perfect season each and every week (it was stressful to even watch those games!) matched against the surging confidence of the Giants will make this a VERY close game.

JULIA MANCUSO
    Olympic skiing gold medalist Patriots, 31-28. Tough one to call for me. I want the Giants to win, just because the Bill Parcells era big blue kicked serious butt, however with how the Pats have been playing all season long, I have to put my money on New England. The Giants' amazing second half just can't trump the Pats' consistent season.

KERRI WALSH
    Olympic beach volleyball gold medalist Patriots, 35-27. I think Eli is going to kick butt and the rest of the Giants will step up. However, I believe they will come up short versus the Patriots.

JEREMY WARINER
    Olympic track gold medalist Patriots, 24-17. New England is a strong team and will pressure Eli Manning to make mistakes.

MIKE ERUZIONE
    Olympic hockey gold medalist Patriots, 38-21. They're just on a mission. This is destiny for them.

KARCH KIRALY
    Olympic volleyball gold medalist Patriots, 28-17. It's all about the pursuit of perfection! We will see more defense in this one versus what we saw in Week 17.

TYSON GAY
    Track star Patriots, 27-14. They're striving for perfection, and they're not going to let this game stop them from competing their goal.

SANYA RICHARDS
    Track star Giants, 21-17. I think momentum has a lot to do with success in sports, and I think the Giants are coming into this game with a lot of momentum. They have been the underdogs the last two weeks and I think they are confident and ready for one more upset.

CLINT BOWYER
    NASCAR driver Patriots, 45-24. The Patriots haven't checked up since the playoffs started. They looked like there were a couple kinks in the armor as the regular season wound down, but it looks like they found another gear against San Diego and Jacksonville. The Patriots always make their opponents pay for mistakes. It's like they hit a switch when it's time to put points on the board. Only this time, they'll hit the switch at kickoff.

MATT KENSETH
    NASCAR driver Giants, 24-21. Why not?

JEFF BURTON
    NASCAR driver Patriots, 34-13. As much as I would love to see the Giants win, I think the Patriots are going to be tough to beat. They've proven that they can get the job done and because they had an unbelievable year.

TED GIANNOULAS
    aka San Diego Chicken Patriots, 34-26. Fear Dr. Belichick with two weeks in his lab for this. The Pats preserve their goose egg year at 19-0! (As a chicken, I'm envious). The Giants will be valiant, but still drop some key Eli passes.

CARROT TOP
    Comedian Patriots, 27-23. Think will win? New England. Who do I want to win? Giants. The Giants are Good and the Patriots are Gooder.

SCOTT ADAMS
    Dilbert cartoonist Giants, 37-21. Eli Manning has more incentive to win because he's trying to make his parents love him more they love his older brother. That's a bigger incentive than Tom Brady's desire to win yet another ring and bed yet another super model. It's a question of diminishing returns.

JUDY TENUTA
    Comedienne Patriots, 28-21. The Patriots will win with swiftness and ease. Not just because Tom Brady is Victoria Secret's dream, but because they are the world's best football team.

PENN JILLETTE
    Magician, partnered with Teller to win 2007 Super Sage Award Me being from Massachusetts, I'm supposed to be rooting for the Patriots, so -- they'll win easy. But, I don't understand the whole idea of sports teams being from somewhere. Are all the players from New England? Did they all come over on the Mayflower?

Comment

Landslide election: 15 reasons Patriots will be champs
      By Gene Wojciechowski
      ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- On Nov. 4, 2007, just after the New England Patriots had improved to 9-0, I committed all my Super Bowl Sunday delegates to Bill Belichick. I'd seen enough.

I mean, how can you ignore the polling numbers? The Patriots were beating the front-runners (San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts) and it was obvious they'd be the AFC nominee. So I wrote that New England wouldn't lose another game. Not in the regular season. Not in the postseason.

My name is Geno, and I approve this Patriots message.

Presenting 15 Reasons Why You Can Schedule Another Super Bowl Victory Parade In Boston:

1. Coach Hoodie

Giving Bill Belichick two weeks to prepare for a game is like giving Albert Einstein two weeks to take the SATs. Nothing against Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, but Belichick has no peer when it comes to devising a defensive game plan. Not only that, but he has the benefit of time, as well as smart, veteran players who know how to translate Belichick's complex schemes from the grease board to the field.

"You give him two weeks and you've got problems,'' said former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi, a longtime Belichick admirer. "[His players] think he gives them an edge.''

He does. The Patriots had just five prep days between their Game 15 win against Miami and their Christmas-week Game 16 road win against the Giants -- and it showed. (And, yes, I know: The Giants only had five prep days, too. But this isn't a "Why-The-G-Men-Will-Win'' column. So live with it.)

New York scored 35 points and Eli Manning threw for four touchdowns, completed 22 of 32 passes and recorded his highest QB rating of the regular season (118.6). Belichick must want to ralph everytime he watches the game film. Manning, even this new and improved playoff version, won't throw four this time. The Giants won't score 35. Or 25, for that matter.

It took Peyton Manning three playoff tries before he finally overcame Belichick and those schemes. Belichick will make Eli wait, too. After all, there's a reason the Hoodie is 15-3 in the postseason.

2. Rematches

New England loves do-overs.

Beginning with the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 21, 2007, the Patriots have faced five opponents (Colts, Jets, Chargers, Dolphins and Bills) twice during the past 12 months. So how good are Belichick and the Pats at making adjustments?

Well, the Colts scored 38 the first time, 20 points in the '07 regular-season rematch. The Jets went from 14 points to 10; the Chargers from 14 to 12 (and no TDs); the Dolphins from 28 to seven. Only the Bills bumped up, from seven the first game to 10 (whooee!) in the rematch.

The Giants make rematch No. 6. Uh, oh.

3. Three letters

A-F-C.

The American Football Conference champion has won four consecutive Super Bowls, six of the last seven and eight of the last 10. Is that any good?

4. Injury? What injury?

This pre-Super Bowl scenario sound familiar?

With his ankle heavily taped and wearing a plastic brace, Brady took his regular snaps as a starter in today's practice and showed no signs of being hindered by the injury.

"Tom Brady demonstrated in practice today that he is fit to play,'' Belichick said. "He will be our starting quarterback on Sunday.''

The passage is from a New York Times story written a few days before the Super Bowl -- the 2001 Super Bowl between the Patriots and St. Louis Rams.

Brady was nursing an ankle sprain back then, just like he is for Super Bowl XLII. The difference? He had only one week of rehab time between the 2001 AFC Championship Game and SB XXXVI. This time he has two.

How'd he do in his first Super Bowl appearance, on a semi-gimpy ankle? Only beat the favored Rams and won the game's MVP award.

5. The Prediction

I've got nothing against predictions. If Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress gets his 23-17 guarantee right, he becomes this generation's Joe Namath.

Problem is, the Patriots do take these things personally. Just ask Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith, who guaranteed a Week 14 win against New England, or San Diego's Igor Olshansky, who popped off about the Pats a week before their AFC Championship Game meeting.

Patriots 34, Steelers 13 … Patriots 21, Chargers 12.

Brady sort of laughed off Burress' prediction ("We're only going to score 17 points? OK."), but don't forget this is the same guy who made a beeline for the Steelers' Smith after throwing a touchdown against him in the Dec. 9 win.

Put it this way: Burress didn't do the Giants any favors.

6. History

If any team is equipped to handle a Super Bowl and the weight of a first-ever 19-0 season, it's the Patriots. They are the ultimate live-in-the-moment team, almost never allowing themselves to get overwhelmed by the hype.

The Patriots actually practice humility, to the point of discussing in team meetings how much to reveal to the media during interviews. Typical Pats. Prepare for everything.

But just because they're guarded with their comments doesn't mean they've forgotten what's at stake Sunday. They have a chance at football immortality, no small thing in their business. Lose this game and the 18 previous wins mean bupkus.

Nobody appreciates that simple reality better than the Patriots.

7. X factor

Two years ago, I said Pittsburgh's Antwaan Randle El would be the Super Bowl X factor. Back pat for me: Randle El threw the TD pass that clinched the Steelers' win against Seattle. Last year I picked Chicago Bears rookie defensive end Mark Anderson as the X factor, which just goes to show that you should never inhale oil-based paint fumes before writing columns.

This time I'm sweet on Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel. I think strong safety Rodney Harrison will spend considerable time in the box (either blitzing or helping on run support), which means more responsibility for New England's corners. Samuel is the guy who will respond.

X-factor runner-up: wide receiver Jabar Gaffney.

8. Experience

The Patriots have 42 players on their roster with playoff experience. Twenty Patriots have a combined 46 games of Super Bowl experience. Eleven of the Patriots starters have started in previous Super Bowls. And this will be Belichick's fourth Super Bowl as a head coach.

The Giants? Not so much.

Only three of the Giants' 53 players on the active roster have played in a Super Bowl. Only one of those three owns a Super Bowl ring: backup offensive lineman/special teams player Grey Reugamer, who earned his ring with the Patriots in 2001.

"Playing in three or four Super Bowls really isn't going to make any difference whether you make the plays that you need to make to win the game,'' said Pats linebacker Mike Vrabel.

That Vrabel. Such a kidder.

Will experience help you make a key tackle? No, but it will help prepare you for the sometimes suffocating pressure of playing in a Super Bowl.

9. Numbers that matter

Have you noticed that Randy Moss has exactly two catches for 32 yards and no touchdowns in the Patriots' two playoff victories? Did you notice that he had six catches for 100 yards and two touchdowns in the 38-35 win against the Giants on Dec. 29?

Something has to give, and I think it will be the Giants' secondary. It isn't an accident that Moss is 10th on the league's all-time career touchdown list and first on the single-season list.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and Chargers double- and triple-teamed him. Chances are the Giants will do the same. Makes sense. But I still think Moss will get a handful of openings to make plays. And if he doesn't, Wes Welker (11 receptions, 122 yards vs. the Giants), Donte' Stallworth or Jabar Gaffney will roam relatively free.

10. Priorities

Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour has it right when he says New England must pressure Giants quarterback Eli Manning and do something about New York's running game. Manning was sacked just one time while completing 22 of 32 passes for 251 yards and four touchdowns against the Pats in the December game. And in the NFC Championship Game against Green Bay, the Giants rushed for 134 clock-consuming yards and two touchdowns.

"If we don't stop the run, we definitely have no chance in this football game,'' said Seymour.

This is the part of the Giants that probably gives Belichick the heebie-jeebies. Jacobs is a bruiser, and Ahmad Bradshaw, who was inactive against the Patriots, is a slasher. But the Patriots have seen similar tag teams like this: the Jaguars' Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew (a combined 66 yards and zero TDs in the recent divisional playoff loss to New England) and LaDainian Tomlinson and Michael Turner (a combined 46 yards and zero TDs in Game 2 of the regular season).

I think Belichick's game plan will center on stopping Jacobs/Bradshaw and forcing Manning to beat them.

"I've been able to play smart,'' said Manning, who has yet to throw an interception during the Giants' 3-0 postseason run. Belichick and that experienced defense will figure a way to make Manning play dumb.

11. Respect

"They're a better team than the one that lost to us by three points,'' said Vrabel of the Giants.

He's right. The Giants are good enough to win. The Giants know it (just ask Plax), but more importantly, the Patriots know it.

Maybe the smart guys in Vegas have it right, but the 12-point spread feels like too much. So any chance of the Patriots' being even remotely overconfident goes directly into Rich Rodriguez's shredder.

The Patriots will take New York's best shot -- and it will be a solid stomach punch -- but recover and eventually impose their Hoodie will.

12. I'm just saying

Despite playing one less playoff game than the Giants, New England's offense has gained only 137 fewer yards. In nearly every meaningful offensive category, the Patriots are better than the Giants. And no team has given up fewer points per game during the playoffs than the Patriots.

By the way, the Patriots set or tied 13 NFL offensive team records this season.

13. Man crush

I don't want to make a big deal about it, but Brady is god.

"Not the best quarterback I've ever played with, but the best quarterback that has ever been put in this league,'' said Moss.

Look, I've never actually met supermodel Gisele Bundchen, but she doesn't deserve two-time Super Bowl MVP Brady. She probably can't even name any of the 18 NFL records Brady set or tied in 2007.

And it's true: There's no getting around Manning's improvement, especially during the crunch time of the postseason. But Manning is still two or three elevator stops below Brady.

Brady is 14-2 in the playoffs. Only Green Bay's Bart Starr (9-1, .900) has a better winning percentage than Brady (.875). Brady is 30-5 in games decided by six points or fewer (6-1 in the playoffs). He's 3-0 in Super Bowls.

So not to put too fine of a point on it, but when you start comparing positions, you place a very large checkmark next to Brady's name.

14. Kevin Faulk

The guy doesn't even start, but you can argue that he might be the third-most valuable player in the Patriots' offense, just behind Brady and Moss.

Faulk rushed for minus-2 yards against the Giants in the Dec. 29 win, but his real worth is as a receiver out of the backfield, especially in key third-down situations.

He had eight catches for 64 yards against New York. He had five catches for 36 yards against Jacksonville in the divisonal playoff. He had eight catches for 82 yards (to lead all NE receivers) in the AFC Championship Game.

He's the ultimate role player.

15. The Pick

I won't be shocked if the Giants somehow win this game. Surprised, but not shocked.

New York has won 10 consecutive road games. Manning hasn't thrown a postseason interception. The Giants' D-line is to die for. Jacobs and Bradshaw are difference-makers. Burress is a matchup nightmare.

But I simply think more matchups favor the Patriots. I think they have more depth, more experience, more Brady, more everything.

Patriots 30, Giants 23

Comment

Comment

It's funny how a lot of the celebs and the general public liek the Giants to cover but most of the ex-players and analysts love the Pats BIG!

I am out...GL ALL!
          Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Whose that bitch J.LO have? She hit it big years ago on the SB along with then fuck buddy Ben Affleck

Comment

Working...
            X