Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooooper Bowl Trivia

Again a sighting:
    Just a few days away and thought we could use a thread to kick around. The main idea is to have some fun with this and shed any light or share some obscure facts and info.

Trivia Question:

How many QB's have led the league in passing yardage during the regular season and then gone
    on to win the Super Bowl? Name them!

More fun not to look it up!
    Last edited by Spearit; 01-31-2008, 09:18 AM.
    "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Off the top of my head....I'll guess,

Steve Young

Kurt Warner

and Brett Favre

KAZ
    [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Joe Namath
      updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
      NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

Oops

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill
        Joe Namath
        I was wrong. Joe Willie led in passing yrds in 1967 and won the Super Bowl the following season
        updated thru 4/04 play

Comment

Payton Manning 2007 Super Bowl
          2006 yrds passing = 4397

Only one in History
          updated thru 4/04 play

Comment

Manning...beat me Bill.
            FUCK YOU, FUCK ME

Comment

Thanks Spearit
              It's a slow day at work so it gave me something to do while F'kn off

Good question though. I would have never guessed that it hadn't been done prior to last year.

Hey Vinny - I'm sure you'll get me next time
              updated thru 4/04 play

Comment

Drew Brees led the league in passing yardage in 2006. Not peyton Manning.
                2010: 23-12 +37.8
                2011: 4-0 + 20
                09-11 5*s and up: 34-7

Comment

Only 1??? You've got to be kidding me. Montana or Elway never did it? Favre? Bradshaw? Aikmen? Staubach?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill
                    Thanks Spearit
                    It's a slow day at work so it gave me something to do while F'kn off

Good question though. I would have never guessed that it hadn't been done prior to last year.

Hey Vinny - I'm sure you'll get me next time
                    Hey B DUB, Do I need to report this to Mr. WH?

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
                    When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
                    Jon E. Checkers

Comment

Ok- Close enough! No Manning did not accomplish the feat - nor did any other top passer win the Super Bowl.
                      So if Brady does accomplish this feat - then he will have yet another Record!

Tom Brady finished with a league-leading 4,806 passing yards, and for long stretches, New England's aerial attack seemed unstoppable even against solid defenses. Yet impressive as the Flying Elvii passing game was, the numbers posted were not unprecedented.

In acknowlegement:
                      In 2004, Daunte Culpepper recorded 4,717 passing yards.
                      In 2002, Rich Gannon led the league with 4,689 passing yards. In 2001, Kurt Warner had 4,830 passing yards.
                      In 1984, Dan Marino led the league with 5,082 passing yards. In 1981, Dan Fouts compiled 4,802 passing yards.
                      Culpepper, Gannon, Warner, Marino, Fouts -- of all these quarterbacks with Brady-like performance, none went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

Again its a fact-- the NFL's passing yardage leader has never gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same season. For XLII consecutive years, the passing yardage leader has not been the quarterback to hoist the trophy as the Super Bowl concludes. Never. Maybe this year's Patriots will be the exception. But with passing-yardage leaders 0-for-41 at winning the Super Bowl, the odds seem to be against Brady!
                      Last edited by Spearit; 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

OK- Lets try another one

CAN YOU NAME ANY Of THE 4 TEAMS NFL THAT WERE WILD CARDS AND WON THE SUPER BOWL.
                        CAN YOU GIVE THE YEARS OR SUPER BOWL NUMBERS OR WHO THEY PLAYED?
                        Last edited by Spearit; 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks spearit....

Comment

'80 Oak, '97 Denver, 2000 Balt, 2005 Pitt. I'd like to know how many super bowls included the passing leader..............

Comment

Originally posted by sar1957
                              '80 Oak, '97 Denver, 2000 Balt, 2005 Pitt. I'd like to know how many super bowls included the passing leader..............
                              Correct Sars! I will need to find some time to run that one down.

1980 Oakland Raiders
                              1997 Denver Broncos
                              2000 Baltimore Ravens
                              2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

1980 Raiders:
                              Oakland led by Jim Plunkett defeated Kenny Stabler and the Oilers 27-7 at home on Wild Card weekend.
                              Oakland then upset Brian Sipe's Cleveland Browns in the snow at Cleveland 14-12. Cleveland missed 3FG's and had a 4th screwed up by a poor snap. The win wasn't secure till Mike Davis intersepted Sipe in the end on 4th down w/41 seconds left.
                              In San Diego Oakland jumped to a 28-7 lead behind Plunkett then held on for a 34-27 win.
                              In Super Bowl XV Kenny King hauled in an 80yd TD catch and Plunkett hit Cliff Branch for 2 more as Oakland won it all 27-10

1997 Broncos
                              On Wild Card Weekend in the Mile High City, the Broncos got revenge on the Jags by running all over them and winning 42-17. Terrell Davis and Derrick Loville combined for 288yds and 4TDs as Denver moved on to face the top seeded Chiefs
                              In KC Denver pulled out a defensive struggle 14-10. Terrell Davis' 4th quarter TD put Denver up 14-10 and Elvis Grbac couldn't hit Lake Dawson on 4th down w/19sec left sealing the win
                              With the win in KC Denver advanced to the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh. After Davis and Kordell Stewart traded 1st quarter TD runs Denver scored 17second quarter pts to pull up 24-14. After Pittsburgh pulled with 3, John Elway sealed the win by hitting Shannon Sharpe for a key 3rd down conversion and Denver ran out the clock and advanced to Super Bowl XXXII against the defending champion Packers
                              In San Diego Green Bay and Denver played one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever. Terrell Davis ran for 3 TDs and JohNE lway went airborn but the game was tied at 24 before Davis' 3TD with 1:45 left. Green Bay had a chance to tie but John Mobley tipped Brett Favre's pass away from Mark Chimera to give John Elway his long awaited Super Bowl

2000 Baltimore Ravens
                              Baltimore started its run by humilating Denver in Baltimore. After a scoreless 1st quarter Baltimore pulled ahead 14-3 w/a 1yd TD run by Jamal Lewis and a long TD reception from Trent Dilfer by Shannon Sharpe. baltimore's D overwhelmed Brian Greise and the Broncos and won 21-3 to move on to Tennessee
                              Against the defending AFC ChampioN Titans Baltimore won 24-10. After Eddie George and Jamal lewis traded Touchdown runs and Matt Stover and Al Del Greco exchangef FG's Baltimore and Tennessee were tied at 10 entering the forth quarter. Tennessse looked poised to take the lead but Anthony Mitchell blocked Del Greco's attempt and returned it 90yds for a TD. The Titans were driving w/7min left but Ray Lewis intercepted Steve McNair and returned it 50yds for a TD to punch Baltimore's tixket to Oakland
                              Baltimore's D stepped up big in Oakland knocking out Raiders QB Rich Gannon and rattling an ineffective Bobby Hoying to win 16-3. Baltimore scored first in the second when Shannon Sharpe took a short screen 96yds for a score and Matt Stover hit 3FGs as Baltimore advanced to SB XXXV against The Giants
                              In the Super Bowl the Ravens shutdown the Giants offense intercepting Kerry Collins 5times and forcing 11 NY Punts. Trent Dilfer hit Brandon Stokley for a1st quater TD and Dunae Starks returned a Collins pick 49yds for 6 to give Baltimore a 17-0 lead. NY would get its only pts on the ensuing kick which Ron Dixon took back for a score however it was nutrilized when Baltimores Jermaine Lewis did the same for 6. The Ravens dominated after that winning 34-7

2005 Steelers
                              Against hated rival Cincinatti The Steelers scored the upset winning 31-17. On the second play of the game Bengals All Pro QB Carson Palmer hit Chris Henry for a 66yd gain but tore his ACL as he was hit by Kimo von Ohofen. The drive stalled and Cincy settled for a FG. Cincy added to their lead w/TD runs by Rudy Johnson and a TD catch by TJ Houshmandzada from backup Jon Kitna to go up 17-7. A Hines Ward TD grab from ben Roethlisberger cut the lead to 17-14 before halfrime. A Jerome Bettis run put teh Steelers ahead 21-17 and Roethlisberger hit Cedrick Wilson on a flee-flicker to put Pittsburgh up 28-17. The Steelers D shutdown Kitna picking him off twice in the 4th and winning 31-17
                              Against the top seeded Colts Roethlisberger threw early TDs to Randle El and Heath Miller to give Pittsburgh a 14-3 halftime lead. After a Bettis run put Pittsburgh up 21-3, Indy rallied w/Tds by Dallas Clark and Edgerrain James to trim the lead to 3. Still with the ball on the Indy 1 It appeared Pittsburgh would hold on untill Bettis fumbled and Nick Harper recovered and appeared to be running back to give the Colts the lead. That is UNTILL Roethlisberger hauled him down at the IND42. That tackle saved Pittsburgh as Indy's Mike Vnaderjact was wide right on a game tying FG on the last play sending the Steelers into Denver
                              In the Mile Hign City Pittsburgh took revenge on Denver winning 34-17 to advance to Super Bowl XL. Pittsburgh jumped on Denver as Roethlisberger hit Hines Ward at the end of the first half to put The Steelers up 24-3 at halftime. A pair of Denver TDs cut the lead to 27-17 before Roethlisberger's boot leg clinched the AFC for Pittsburgh
                              In Super Bowl XL Seattle took a 3-0 lead on a Josh Brown FG. In the second Roethlisberger gave the Steelrs a7-3 lead w/a 1yd sneak to send Pittsburgh into halftime up 7-3. Early in the 3rd Willie Parker broke a 75yd run to Put PIttsburgh up 14-3 before a Jeremy Stevens score for Seattle cut the lead to 4. In the 4th Bill Cowher drew up a trick play having Randle El throw a pass on a reverse to MVP Hines Ward to clinch "One for the Thumb" for Pittsburgh.

Comment

Working...
                              X